Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 18:35   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
10.5 Month Budget $$

Stenn,
First there is the be nice rule that you are flirting with here, then just about every part of your post is incorrect, everything from the low budget part to the geographic location is wrong.
Sir I hate to say it so bluntly but it looks as if you have no idea of what you speak?

However if your looking for how to be frugal and cruise on less, you ought to check out the cruising on $500 a month thread, it ran for months if I remember correctly and hundreds of posts.
Tough to be more frugal than $500 a month I think.

Sailorboy is just laying out specifically what it cost him to cruise, not how much it will or should cost others, different people have different budgets and are, well different.
However when he lays out his expenses, wanna be cruisers can look at it and determine maybe about what it will cost them to cruise.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 18:59   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: 10.5 Month Budget $$

We spend more than sailorboy on food and drink but otherwise it's pretty much the same. I don't see them as poor or profligate at all.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 19:33   #18

Boat: Newport 27-S MKII

You're right a64, I have no idea what budget Boy has layed out for us to look at and wasn't going there. I do know that East coast, Chesapeake especially, has lots of geographic opportunity for gunk-holing at no-cost, (where I'vs been sailing the last 10 years) and spots where I'm from near Mayport, Fl, where a small, "homeless" floatilla is developing (and being left alone), while personal experience and report publishedin local SpinSheet, from Chesapeaker who sailed West coast with resident there couldn't believe how few places there were to anchor, and what population and boat competition there was, and therefore cost competition.

My observation and concern was about seemingly rich cruisers advising sometimes desperate, unemployed people looking for a way to survive that they better expect to spend $5k a month living and cruising on a boat. My concern is those out-of-touch with what's really possible on a boat, because they have their 44' and a fat 401K squirrelled away, with no idea there's hundreds of thousands, millions of people struggling to survive in this country, and yes, not a lot of joy in that, but a boat can be a source of hope the comfortable have no way to relate to.

Somebody on here said he used to subscribe to Yachting World or somesuch, until all their reviews became a blur of 65' megayachts....that's the kind of advice and cruiser I was concerned about here...

....be blunt all you want...Boy1 says "...don't ask if you can't handle it" ...there's joy, and salvation, on a boat, and I want to encourage the non-rich to go there too....not telling them they can't if they don't have money....people give away 22 to 28 ft sailboats, that people living in homeless shelters would consider plenty of living room, and have excitedly told me so ....better than a policed cot and a curfew.....
Stenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 19:58   #19
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Marina if done on long term rates and if you shop a little for a good price is actually a cheap way to live.
It's coming in and buying a day at a time that it gets expensive, fast.

How are you handling power there, I assume it's metered? Do you have to get it set up so the bill comes to you, or does the marina do that?
I agree totally, and was going to post the same a few days ago, but you beat me to it. Monthly dockage here, for a 41' boat will cost $19.11 per day figuring minimum electric. Transient dockage for the same boat will be $79.75 per day.

Cruising boats might decide to pull into a marina for several reasons. One would certainly be for weather. Often, that will run into more than a one day stay. Another would be for fuel, water, to dump trash, and to pick up provisions. You might want to spend an extra day to clean up the boat, maybe find a dive service to clean the bottom, or you might need something shipped to some address. Maybe a part for instance. This may require another few days spent in a marina at transient rates. It REALLY can add up quickly, and totally start messing with your budget.

Regarding electric (here), we read the meters (meaning I walk the docks and physically read every meter at each of our 340 slips). Those are on each pedestal that you plug into. Get your starting reading, and you can see what you are using each day if you want to monitor it. You pay for what you use this month, next month. It is added to your invoice.

For sailorboy1....save your money. Use the free loaner bikes that we offer, instead of buying your own new ones. Use the savings to pay your electric, which could possibly be the kink in your beating the budget. Just sayin....

To me, marinas are like tools. You use them when you need them. I don't understand the hate for marinas. If you just want a break, where better to spend your time if your boat is your home? Free water, unlimited electricity, shore access, a place to deposit your garbage, no need for wet dinghy rides, and maybe free wifi if you are lucky. You might even meet some other like-minded liveaboards that sold everything to live this lifestyle.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 20:52   #20
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenn View Post
....be blunt all you want...Boy1 says "...don't ask if you can't handle it" ...there's joy, and salvation, on a boat, and I want to encourage the non-rich to go there too....not telling them they can't if they don't have money....people give away 22 to 28 ft sailboats, that people living in homeless shelters would consider plenty of living room, and have excitedly told me so ....better than a policed cot and a curfew.....
And that's a big problem that is ruining cruising for everyone else. I spent the winter of 2015 in the south Miami area and upper Keys. South beach was crawling with derelict anchored boats. Most were not seaworthy, didn't have proper registration, weren't running anchor lights, looked like hell and were barnacle buckets. Sailboats without masts, power boats without operating engines. Miami tagged and removed them. A derelict boat is not a place for someone that doesn't know how to maintain a boat! What happens when weather comes in? The boat drags into another boat, or goes aground where the "occupant" jumps ship and feels no responsibility, leaving the state to clean up the mess.
BS! I know of three derelict boats that sank while we were at south beach. I'll be damned if you think it's ok for me to lose my expensive ground tackle because some poor homeless person allowed his boat to sink because he didn't understand how to care for a boat.

I do have compassion for the down and out, but hanging out on a free piece of crap boat is not the place to be. It's not safe for the poor fool on board, and not for others around it.

You don't have to be rich. I cruise on way less than sailorboy1. But you do need to maintain the boat. Make it safe. Make it legal. And keep it looking presentable.

Sorry to add to the thread drift sailorboy1, but couldn't help myself this time.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 21:25   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I do have compassion for the down and out, but hanging out on a free piece of crap boat is not the place to be. It's not safe for the poor fool on board, and not for others around it.

You don't have to be rich. I cruise on way less than sailorboy1. But you do need to maintain the boat. Make it safe. Make it legal. And keep it looking presentable.
Well said, Ralph. To me, your attitude is not lacking compassion, but trying to show that there is a kinda floor expense level that is required to keep even a free boat from being a public nuisance and a hazard. If that basic level is not possible, putting a homeless fellow into a derelict boat is not a kindness.

I am reminded of a story that appeared years ago in Lat-38. Scene was the Berkeley marina, where a disheveled fellow was feverishly cleaning up a elderly Cal-20. Seems that he had purchased it for five bucks from the marina, and planned to live aboard it. When Richard (latitude publisher) spoke to him, he said " Only in America... yesterday I was a homeless bum, today I am a yachtsman"! I dunno if he made it, but I hope so!

Jim
Old 10-08-2017, 04:18   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If he was feverishly cleaning it up, I bet he made it.
Ones that seem to not, don't bother with the bird mess
Old 10-08-2017, 04:27   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

10.5 Month Budget $$

Ralph,
The distaste or hate if you will for Marina's is sometimes for how usury some can be. In Key West one has free pump outs, the next one wants $25. I'm sure they don't expect you to ask how much and after you get the service, well you have to pay right?
Where I am at, it is around $120 a day for my 38', and there is I believe an environmental fee, and a admin fee, and power is $15 a day for 30 amp.
I stayed in the mooring field one day for only $30 a day.
That is $900 bucks a month for a ball?

Think that just might be a little gouging?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:02   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ralph,
The distaste or hate if you will for Marina's is sometimes for how usury some can be. In Key West one has free pump outs, the next one wants $25. I'm sure they don't expect you to ask how much and after you get the service, well you have to pay right?
Where I am at, it is around $120 a day for my 38', and there is I believe an environmental fee, and a admin fee, and power is $15 a day for 30 amp.
I stayed in the mooring field one day for only $30 a day.
That is $900 bucks a month for a ball?

Think that just might be a little gouging?
That's probably why you shouldn't go where the crowds go.

Up here on the lower to mid Chesapeake Bay it's $8.00/ft/month and that's at several marinas on Little Creek.

There are others as low as $5.00 - $6.00/ft . Floating docks etc

Other places allow you to anchor within 50 yards of the wharf and they have a free dingy dock.

Weather is usually good from April - November
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:02   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

So,........................... I'm a rich a-hole yachtie

Hey, I guess I'm rich and a yachtie

Take that you fun suckers!!!
Old 10-08-2017, 05:43   #26

Boat: Newport 27-S MKII

Boy1, I was never suggesting anything of the sort...I'm sorry I dropped in an observation from another post/thread, into your attempted-fun post about having money left over...I'm happy for you...and, no, I'm still working, not living the life yet...still figuring out what to do with all my "stuff" before I ever could approach that...and I will have some money to live on, so I won't be one of the truly destitute...

....Jim, Ralph, etc. I totally get the South Beach/Miami/Keys problem of a derelict fleet developing, potentially with homeless people not prepared for the environment and upkeep demands....though I would encourage someone in that position to the survival possibilities on-board, the reality is a minute fraction would actually pursue it....(or should)...

.....which brings up another post/thread on CF....when should we discourage people to "go," are they skilled/proficient to not be a danger to themselves or others? i.e. are we our brother's keeper?

...So, no, I wouldn't be blindly encouraging truly destitute, unskilled, inexperienced people that it's an easy "Life of Riley," and would certainly describe the work and knowledge involved.....no, I wouldn't want to "ruin it" for all of you....

But, again, the woman on CF who asking basic questions about the legality of anchoring and was being told only what I call the "yuppie money" side of things, i.e. "no, you need money for that," was what I was responding to when Sailor brought up his surplus budget.....

Living on a nice, kept 40-something boat with a known, dependable income is the "Life of Riley," compared to millions in not only this country, but the planet, ....my Dad came home from Viet Nam telling me about whole "towns" of "Boat People"...while my Mom told me stories of living through the Depression, and we then exlerience our own in 2007/8...

....this woman being led away from a boat as a survival option, by people with money, is an issue we'll keep seeing....Miami's a good example....money that doesn't want to be reminded of harsh realities, so raids the "hobo camp."
Stenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:06   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

more fun sucked away , looks that my budget this month will get blown after all as I need a drink now and the foamy free beer I don't think is going to be up to the job now

bet this post will result in some more fun sucking and misery, go ahead and fully do it as a bitching sailor is a happy sailor
Old 10-08-2017, 06:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenn View Post
Boy1, I was never suggesting anything of the sort...I'm sorry I dropped in an observation from another post/thread, into your attempted-fun post about having money left over...I'm happy for you...and, no, I'm still working, not living the life yet...still figuring out what to do with all my "stuff" before I ever could approach that...and I will have some money to live on, so I won't be one of the truly destitute...

....Jim, Ralph, etc. I totally get the South Beach/Miami/Keys problem of a derelict fleet developing, potentially with homeless people not prepared for the environment and upkeep demands....though I would encourage someone in that position to the survival possibilities on-board, the reality is a minute fraction would actually pursue it....(or should)...

.....which brings up another post/thread on CF....when should we discourage people to "go," are they skilled/proficient to not be a danger to themselves or others? i.e. are we our brother's keeper?

...So, no, I wouldn't be blindly encouraging truly destitute, unskilled, inexperienced people that it's an easy "Life of Riley," and would certainly describe the work and knowledge involved.....no, I wouldn't want to "ruin it" for all of you....

But, again, the woman on CF who asking basic questions about the legality of anchoring and was being told only what I call the "yuppie money" side of things, i.e. "no, you need money for that," was what I was responding to when Sailor brought up his surplus budget.....

Living on a nice, kept 40-something boat with a known, dependable income is the "Life of Riley," compared to millions in not only this country, but the planet, ....my Dad came home from Viet Nam telling me about whole "towns" of "Boat People"...while my Mom told me stories of living through the Depression, and we then exlerience our own in 2007/8...

....this woman being led away from a boat as a survival option, by people with money, is an issue we'll keep seeing....Miami's a good example....money that doesn't want to be reminded of harsh realities, so raids the "hobo camp."
Stenn, would it be OK with you if we get back on topic, thanks.

@Sailorboy 1, thanks for continuing to share your budgets with us.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:03   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
more fun sucked away , looks that my budget this month will get blown after all as I need a drink now and the foamy free beer I don't think is going to be up to the job now

Wow, this thread really got off the tracks. Go have another beer Don (or two, three... More!). Anyone who says booze doesn't make the world a better place clearly isn't drinking enough [emoji6].

Actually, if I stopped drinking my expenditures over the last 45 days would be under $500/month ... but where's the fun in that [emoji6]
Old 10-08-2017, 11:27   #30

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So,........................... I'm a rich a-hole yachtie

Hey, I guess I'm rich and a yachtie [emoji2]

Take that you fun suckers!!!
That's like me! Filthy, stinkin' rich.
Two out of three ain't bad!

Keep on sailorboy1! I'm on the other coast, similar situation (retired @ 55 and left a little over a year ago) and it's nice to see the comparison. Is a little cheaper on this side, but the Mexicans have a different word for everything! <--- apologies to Steve Martin. Please keep hurricane Fred on your side. Thank you.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget