Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 12:43   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Vat in Greece

Hello fellow sailors!
Reasonably new to the forum but must say how much I enjoy reading all content from all that love to sail and have chosen to pursue a cruising life. My wife and I are leaving for Greece in early April on a one way ticket to live aboard our Lagoon 450 that we purchased last September. As Australians we have applied for a 12 month residence visa so we can spend more than 90 days cruising. I read somewhere in one of the blogs that as we have a residence visa that we may be liable to pay VAT if we spend more than 6 months in the EU. Would love to hear from anyone that might know if we are will be liable or the best way to navigate around this.
Fair winds to all!
Euge
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 16:51   #2

Re: Vat in Greece

Most people do a visa run for few days to turkey if in the Aegean or itali if in the Ionian.
"There are no rules on how long a boat must remain outside of EU waters before returning for another 18 month Transit Log. Evidence of having left the EU (a marina receipt for example) will probably be required. If the boat is 'laid up', which usually means placed in customs bond, the 18 month (or 24 month) clock stops until the boat is put back in use. The TPP will also have to be paid (see the cruising tax section). Greece resumed these EU-wide temporary importation rules on 1st October 2015 and scrapped the 6 month in 12 month rules."

https://www.theca.org.uk/news/greektax
Doron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece