Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2010, 15:00   #1

Boat: "Julia Dream" 32ft Columbia
Vancouver Island to Cairns

Hi, I will be making this passage across the pacific singlehanded next year, making sure Im back in Australia before November. I have a couple of technical questions Im hoping some of you much more experienced sailors may be able to answer?

Budget is a main concern for me so:
1. I believe a roller furling is a high priority and I cant scrimp on the cost. But does anyone think with 3 other genoas I could sail back without a roller furling? I know it makes it very hard in rough conditions and a roller will allow me to reef without leaving the cockpit.

2. Alternative to my handheld GPS and paper charts, does anyone know about laptop software? I was thinking about "Quickcharts Australia"? It comes with the software to run it and all you do is buy a USB GPS (WAAS) for it and you can use it as a plotter. Has anyone used this setup before and how did you find the detail and accuracy? And do you know if the software will run navionics charts so I can use it for navigation outside australia? A link to the software.. Boat Books Australia

3. There is also a weather fax USB with software that would be great! It says you need a short wave receiver? Would that be a referance to the radio set itself? Has anyone had any experience using this equipment? Also please tell me if anyone knows how to set up email through the radio and what equipment will be needed to get it from the radio to the computer?
Boat Books Australia

4. Where in Australia can I buy solar equipment from someone who knows marine applications well. I know what I need but would like to discuss other possibilites and it seems its a vague area to most. Im hoping to find somewhere that will sell me boat specific marine mounting poles for the panels too.

5. If Im just stopping in Hawaii to re supply, say a few days to a week, do quarantine and customs make you throw away fruit and meat you have in store?

6. Also I beleive a windspeed alarm is a priority, waking me in the night to reef sails if the wind picks up. Can anyone please tell me a good reasonably priced set up to be able to do this?

Thankyou kindly for your time and advice on any of these matters!
Jai Smith
Currently in Brisbane
wizorian is offline   Reply With Quote