Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 16:27   #1

Boat: wharram tiki 26
The call of distant shores fading ?

I am fairly well travelled,I have lived and worked in a few places around the world when I was younger. It seems to me now though,that with the advent of the internet that my wonderlust has diminished somewhat. Bad news travels faster now? Or am I just becoming a cynical old bastard?

I can't explain exactly why this may be so and I do hope this is just a phase.

I wonder if this is just my ''first world problem'' or do others go through the same feelings about overseas travel nowadays?

Your thoughts?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 16:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The call of distant shores fading ?

There's always been trouble in the world mate.. just get sailing and go off line.. a few days away and its like a whole new world..
Plus.. that's one big island your on too explore coastwise first.. I'd like to do it properly one day health and wealth permitting.. not just 3/4 of the way round and only 7 stops like last time..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 16:45   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: The call of distant shores fading ?

Stop watching the news

As Boatie said, there have always been -and always will be- trouble, war, refugees etc. in the world.

News does travel faster now -- as do false / overstated / unchecked / manipulated reports.
And good news too, although it seems people much rather spread bad news then good.
That, too, has always been and probably will always be human nature

Hasn't effected me much, to be honest. I know I'm supposed to fear everything and everybody these days, but somehow, I'm just not feeling it
Old 18-03-2016, 17:18   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I am fairly well travelled,I have lived and worked in a few places around the world when I was younger. It seems to me now though,that with the advent of the internet that my wonderlust has diminished somewhat. Bad news travels faster now? Or am I just becoming a cynical old bastard?

I can't explain exactly why this may be so and I do hope this is just a phase.

I wonder if this is just my ''first world problem'' or do others go through the same feelings about overseas travel nowadays?

Your thoughts?
Yes, bad news travels faster. I don't know if you're becoming a cynical old bastard. How old are you? I mean, you can be cynical or realistic at any age.

Limited goals makes sense, no point in seeking out trouble spots, but the cruiser network (not internet) will keep you informed, and doesn't flourish financially by publishing bad news.

As Boatie pointed out, you have potentially huge cruising grounds when you consider circumnavigating Australia.

Perhaps, you're wanting a new boat? or no longer interested in sailing, and your next target hasn't presented itself loudly enough for you to pay attention?

Ann
Old 18-03-2016, 17:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's always been trouble in the world mate.. just get sailing and go off line.. a few days away and its like a whole new world..
Plus.. that's one big island your on too explore coastwise first.. I'd like to do it properly one day health and wealth permitting.. not just 3/4 of the way round and only 7 stops like last time..
I just returned from three days and two nights on the hook at a local anchorage. No news about that guy whose name starts with T is always good news. Sports and music is much more fun. I'm an old curmudgeon, too. Lived abroad for many years, still travel abroad. Airports suck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 23:20   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

It's not just airports that suck, there's not being able to drink the water from the taps and a host of other things.

It's probably just that your getting old and your lusts are dampening down and a lot of stuff which once drove you no longer seems worth it.

For instance I have been wanting to sail down to Tasmania for a summer and take a look around however when I start thinking of all the bar crossings and Maritime Services between the Wide Bay Bar and Tasmania I say "Bugger it" and sail up to Cairns again - no bar crossings, regular on-the-water fuel stops, great scenery and protective reef pretty well all the way. The curiosity is still there but the lust that drives one to overcome all obstacles is gone.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 23:31   #7

I used to live for travel. What killed it for me was when jet lag started to affect me. That happened at about 40. Before that, 24 hours of minor jet lag. After 40 it was suddenly 5 days of suck. About the same time I went from loving airports and hotels to hating them.

Now I like to cross one time zone at a time and bring my home with me. No airports, no hotels, no jet lag.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 00:48   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I've been a cynical old bastard since I was quite young.

I truly hate air travel..... those animal rights people bang on about the live sheep trade... at least the sheep get a trip on a boat.... try flying on in an A380.... they pen you before boarding...only thing missing is the cattle prods.

I have no desire to revisit 95% of the world... too many people..too much non sense.

My perfect world is three months tucker on the boat and just 'going bush' - in a nautical sense - until I have run out of vittles or rum. You just have to find the spot you want to go bush in... I've found mine......
Old 19-03-2016, 00:56   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

At age 70 we are still pushing the limits and have since a long long time ago. I think the real issue is people do not want to deal with the difficulties of long voyages, different foods, water as above, ect ect -- in other words they got what we will call soft and comfy in their life and no need to make life a bit uncomfortable.

We have seen and talked to many people who want to live our life but can't for a variety of reasons and if we have the patience to question them and push them a bit it really comes down to they like their life style and do not want to inconvenience themselves to explore the distance shores and new ports of call. People are becoming whooses
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 03:12   #10

Air travel is a PITA for all manner of reasons... I dislike it and it has become a barrier to world travel... but we would do it because there is usually no alternative to get to some far away place. We older and require a bit more creature comfort as a minimum than when we were youngsters...

Long distance sailing is a huge effort and demands a huge slice of time.... and money because it takes money to live. So you need to have a stash.... or have an annuity... and probably reduce your cash needs. The of course you can only sail to location which touch the water... or... switch to more traditional travel once you arrive. All doable but complex. And how much of the world can you actually see on even a round the world journey? Lots but don't kid yourself... you are missing way more than you can see.

Perhaps the appeal is to be able to live almost anyplace that is deeper than your keel and reachable with the wind. Maybe it's having the potential more than the realization?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 03:52   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Despite all of our complaints about the problems when flying - from overcrowded planes and airports to long waits and delays - one should put it into perspective:

I sailed from the Chesapeake to St. Martin in 8 days with rough seas and storms. Several months later I flew the same stretch from Washington D.C. in 5 hours.
Old 19-03-2016, 04:23   #12

It's probably never been safer or easier to travel at any time in history compared to now. If that's what is holding you back, find some place you feel safe in and then go look up all the horrible news about it. Very quickly you will realize the vast majority is overblown.

Yeah, air travel is a pain but if you want to cover several thousand miles, it's still a heck of a lot easier and if you go back to the mythical golden age most people couldn't afford it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 04:50   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The call of distant shores fading ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I used to live for travel. What killed it for me was when jet lag started to affect me. That happened at about 40. Before that, 24 hours of minor jet lag. After 40 it was suddenly 5 days of suck. About the same time I went from loving airports and hotels to hating them.

Now I like to cross one time zone at a time and bring my home with me. No airports, no hotels, no jet lag.
Wots Jet Lag..???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 001.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	121008  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 06:01   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Yeah, air travel is a pain but if you want to cover several thousand miles, it's still a heck of a lot easier and if you go back to the mythical golden age most people couldn't afford it.
And so cheap, book a few weeks ahead you can have breakfast in Hong Kong then for £50 be in Bangkok for lunch . I've never tired of traveling, though US customs can make you a bit weary..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 07:39   #15

Boat: Contest 36'

One of the best things about cruising to other cultures is getting away from the fear-filled news of other countries.

Tags
cal