Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2016, 15:41   #46

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: The call of distant shores fading ?

Hope this motivates. My first boat was a Wharram 31. She was a wreck that I purchased and then spend 8 mths rebuilding. I didn't know how to sail. First sail, we left Ballina NSW for Brunswick heads. I brought my mate Hyde with me, an accomplished blue water sailor. We had a off shore wind, flat water and even dolphins! We were regularly sailing between 8-9knots, to say I was completely hooked that day would be an understatement . Hyde looked at me laughing and said " your ruined, this is a 1 in 100 sailing type day, they aren't often this good".
Anyway , 8 years later, a different boat and a dozen countries sailed to , it was still my best sailing day ever.
Don't think to much, launch the boat.
Cheers Dale .

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 15:46   #47

And by the way I see wharram everywhere . Last year saw a Tiki 30 in Raja Ampat west papua with two young guys having a ball.

Old 20-03-2016, 16:10   #48

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I lived outside the USA for 28 years and many of them on a cruising yacht. I lived for 16 years in Saudi Arabia, and for all of those years, there was plenty of discouraging news going on in the world. We even went through a Gulf War with scud missiles coming into Riyadh. It was a great place to work because most people were afraid to go there, and we had an absolutely wonderful time. I camped between 60-90 nights in the remote desert with Land Rover Defenders. We went where all the city folks were afraid to go, and it was an exciting sixteen years. We were living the hard core expatriate lifestyle, and it fit like a glove. When we went on our circumnavigation, it was an easy transition into the sailing lifestyle, because most world cruisers were hard core expatriates, and we spoke the same language.

Cruising is not so much about destinations as it is meeting other people committed to the same lifestyle. There is a ton of personal freedom, and you can go wherever you have the courage to point the bow of your yacht. And when you get there, you meet other people with whom you can instantly connect. They understand the expatriate/cruising lifestyle, and it takes about two minutes to make new friends.

The Internet is virtual reality, and it is a poor substitute for the real thing. You can be anything you want to be and say anything you want to say on the Internet. The world wide web is full of speculation and drivel, and most of what passes off as news is merely a reflection of the biases of the person who bothered to put it up on the web.

Internet is mostly chewing gum for the mind, but it is not a source of information that I would use to decide whether I want to go cruising. I'll take my chances in the real world, and have real worries like dragging anchor, tropical storms, and lightning strikes. I'll also get to see some of the most awesome places on planet earth, and I will meet some of the most interesting people.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 16:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I lived outside the USA for 28 years and many of them on a cruising yacht. I lived for 16 years in Saudi Arabia, and for all of those years, there was plenty of discouraging news going on in the world. We even went through a Gulf War with scud missiles coming into Riyadh. It was a great place to work because most people were afraid to go there, and we had an absolutely wonderful time. I camped between 60-90 nights in the remote desert with Land Rover Defenders. We went where all the city folks were afraid to go, and it was an exciting sixteen years. We were living the hard core expatriate lifestyle, and it fit like a glove. When we went on our circumnavigation, it was an easy transition into the sailing lifestyle, because most world cruisers were hard core expatriates, and we spoke the same language.

Cruising is not so much about destinations as it is meeting other people committed to the same lifestyle. There is a ton of personal freedom, and you can go wherever you have the courage to point the bow of your yacht. And when you get there, you meet other people with whom you can instantly connect. They understand the expatriate/cruising lifestyle, and it takes about two minutes to make new friends.

The Internet is virtual reality, and it is a poor substitute for the real thing. You can be anything you want to be and say anything you want to say on the Internet. The world wide web is full of speculation and drivel, and most of what passes off as news is merely a reflection of the biases of the person who bothered to put it up on the web.

Internet is mostly chewing gum for the mind, but it is not a source of information that I would use to decide whether I want to go cruising. I'll take my chances in the real world, and have real worries like dragging anchor, tropical storms, and lightning strikes. I'll also get to see some of the most awesome places on planet earth, and I will meet some of the most interesting people.
Awesome post, well said.

Old 21-03-2016, 12:26   #50

Boat: Island Packet 350

It is the "idea" and feeling that it's one of the few places where I feel free. That's what keeps this old bastard engaged.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:53   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Airports suck.
Not if it's the airport that's taking you to your boat it isn't!

I've even managed to book a single seat (not in a row), port side next to the window (at the rear, hopefully by the bar). Not been on one of those Boeing Eyeliners before, so looking forward to the trip.

I just hope it isn't too cold when I get there.

I've always loved the journey though. What's round the next bend? Where does that road go? What nice new people am I going to meet? That sort of thing.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:07   #52

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Yep! and I for one really enjoy hearing and sharing the tales of the distant shores and great folks met along the way... I'd really like to hear more about the Arabian desert too, though it may be a bit off topic. Ever read the book "The Road to Ubar"?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ls-163138.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:50   #53
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=salticrak;2075742 It seems to me now though,that with the advent of the internet that my wonderlust has diminished somewhat. Bad news travels faster now? Or am I just becoming a cynical old bastard?

Your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I haven't read ANY of the replies, but have you considered just staying off the internet?

Posted on an internet forum
Old 21-03-2016, 15:46   #54
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I LOVE airports!
There's an excitement to them of people going to wonderful exotic countries or places. I love the shops, the restaurants, the people at bars just hanging out till their plane boards. (Yes beer is stupidly expensive!)

Its like cruising: I seem to love all the things people hate: I love clearing into foreign countries, I love the longer passages, I love the flags of far off countries on boats.

This is an age of cynicism but being aware of it we can attack it with positivity.

People who call themselves 'old grumps', carmudgeons, etc, normally are because they act out what they think they want to be. Its Hollywood of the mind.
I am not a grump (though I get the shits on forums at times) I am the youngest 56 year old I know, and I am staying that way.

So if you think the world has passed you by, pull your finger out, spank yourself on the bum, stop being so self indulgent and LOOK at the world again.

It really is a wonderful world!

And only you can stop yourself seeing it.

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 16:07   #55

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We have a little plaque on the companionway bulkhead, "Don't let your expectations get in the way of your enjoyment!". It has worked for us for 40 years. Never-the-less, theez daze we have little inclination to travel to 3rd world countries. There is so much of the US coast that we haven't seen, it seems like a more worth while effort. And, on the east coast, at least until one reaches NY/NJ, I'm told the natives are reasonably friendly, eh? Wherever, everyone seems very proud of their locale and wants to show us what we've been missing.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 16:30   #56

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I am fairly well travelled,I have lived and worked in a few places around the world when I was younger. It seems to me now though,that with the advent of the internet that my wonderlust has diminished somewhat. Bad news travels faster now? Or am I just becoming a cynical old bastard?

I can't explain exactly why this may be so and I do hope this is just a phase.

I wonder if this is just my ''first world problem'' or do others go through the same feelings about overseas travel nowadays?

Your thoughts?
The stability of nations tends to follow reasonably well understood statistical models.

There are many propellor hat papers, if like me you're partial to reading academic papers. Ie http://faculty.smu.edu/kdesmet/papers/stability.pdf

What has changed is the information we are confronted with on a daily basis. More in a day than a worker received in a lifetime in the 1700s.

The internet has a very low signal to noise ratio. So too does the mainstream media which relies on FUD to remain in business.

I do sense, but have seen no studies, that since the cold war ended we are seeing more assymetric events being allowed to grow in an uncontrolled manner.

Syria is just one example. During the cold war that would have become a civil war supported by the east and west. Today the problem is being exported across the globe.

My big concern is that we have no stabilizing force to replace the cold war. The United Nations and the European Union government are useless IMHO. They are beuracratic institutions that have no solutions and no means to solve problems they were created to solve.

Just keep travelling. Most people I meet from all over are interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 00:00   #57

Hey salticrak, howzit boet!

Some days the fog is duk and the weight of it too much. Get your boat on the water, a breeze in the sails, salt on your face and let the past slip away. We live in one of the best countries on the planet with all the freedom we could ever want. Vasbyt through the lows and enjoy what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
g'day all.

Wow,what a great response to my musings,this is the best of C.F. for sure. For those that may not know,I built a wharram tiki 26 a few years ago,but due to financial constraints and regular visits from the dreaded black dog she sits 99.9% completed,waiting for me to get my **** together.

I built this boat whilst awaiting a final decision on permanent residence status,this took all of ten years.I now have residence. Those familiar with Aussie bureaucracy may have an inkling as to what is involved. But all the frustrations and expense have been worth it,for this is a great country.

I left South Africa,joining my other family members here. We where a farming family in S.A. the inevitable violence that is the scourge of that land cost the life of one family member and nearly another.
I was in the armed forces and like many have witnessed the fog of war, this opened my eyes to the depravity humans are capable of. Yet I have seen the goodness too,people with bugger all sharing what they have in fleeting intersections on the roads we travel thru life.

Being an avid offshore kayak fisherman I have a great love of the ocean. It makes my heart sing.

I have read every post on here,I thank you all for your considered opinions.It truly has touched me deeply.
It has made me question my motivations and for this I am greatful to y'all.Things are looking up,I will launch my boat this southern winter.I will learn to sail her
Yes Australia is a wonderful part of the world to cruise,overwhelmingly the people are good sorts,their humour sustains me. And who knows? The call may grow louder.
Thank you.
Seafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal