Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Teenager Wants to Travel from BC to the Baja

Keegan,
Great name (It is my sons name). You will have to take in to consideration the time frame as to when you are going to to this trip. The sail from BC to South of Santa Barbara can be quite unpleasant. Typically it is behind you but the weather can be cold and the wind very strong. Most boats leave the PNW in August or September with the goal of reaching Southern California in the later part of September where you can cruise the Channel Islands. Most of the passages from BC to SF require more then 12 hour of sailing. From SF to Santa Barbara the coast is pretty rugged and the weather cold. From there it is considered unsafe to head much below Ensenada Mexico till the end of October because of hurricanes. The trip from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas is approx 750 miles so if you take your hull speed multiply by 80% and then the sailing hours you will get your daily range (6.25 knots *80% *12 = rounded for ease of math 60 nautical miles(nm) per day) So straight sailing time is 12.5 days with no rest stops. Going back is upwind and can take a lot longer. For instance we were wind bound for 5 nights last year when I brought my boat back. Also the Pacific coast of Baja is not that warm and can be downright cold.

The trip can be done in 5 or 6 months but not safely outside of hurricane season or the winter storms along the Pacific coast.

As alternatives: buy a boat in BC and sail the PNW or buy a boat in So Cal and sail down to Mexico or buy a boat in Mexico and sail the Sea of Cortez and the Mexican Riviera.

PM me with questions.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja