Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 15:31   #1

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
Tampa, FL to Houston, TX

We are looking to move a boat from Tampa, FL to Houston, TX via the ICW as much as possible.

It looks like we have to go over open water from Tampa to Appalachicola where the ICW starts?

Are there any good references on doing this? Any advice would also be welcome.

Thanks.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 15:46   #2

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
We planned it once from Madeira Beach (John's Pass), but decided to "truck" it instead. We had planned to hit Pensacola in one run due to the number of Navy Missile impact areas all up the gulf coast. Was there a Fairway to Pensacola? I can't remember. I think it was an "expected" 2-1/2 day run (at the time) with fair winds. When were you planning to start?
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 17:16   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
IMHO the missile ranges are a non-issue as you will be notified and/or they will suspend ops if you stray into an exercise.

Some skinny waters but at least no oil rigs to dodge before you can join the ICW. I say go for it!
Old 04-01-2010, 17:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Is there any way you can do this without running the ICW? It's a bit of a pain in the tail... Louisiana particularly, where you may not be able to make an anchorage to anchorage run in a single short (daylight) day. Bridge and locks can tie you up for a while. This time of year, fog is also common.

Once you hit Texas, you should be fine.

There's a good cruising guide: "Campbell's Guide to Cruising Texas" that's currently out of print. But you should be able to find one. Just be aware that the version you find may be pre-Katrina, Rita and Ike.

If it can wait until spring, I'd run across the Gulf. With a stretch of southeasterly winds, it's an easy trip. Just don't let a norther catch you...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 17:23   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I'd rather wait until warmer weather hits and do the straight across, using the safety fairways.
I've done the ICW of LA several times, once on a sailboat, once on a 112' motoryacht and several times on oilfield vessels. The sailboat was miserable, the motoryacht stressful, the oilfield vessels downright boring.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 17:25   #6

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
The Waterway Guides are imo the bibles to have for any area. Bridges won't be a problem from Tarpon Springs thru Pensacola, I don't believe. Don't what your clearance is or draft, but we love cruising by way of the ICW, have done it multiple times from FWB, FL to Crystal River, FL and from Crystal River to SW FL and the Keys several times. Love our time in ICW hate open water, even in iffy weather ICW no problem. Good luck
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 23:05   #7

Boat: seawind II Patience
Two fixed bridges with 50 ft clearance .but with n winds should be greater .Govt cut hard to see.Went that way 2 yrs ago ck sea strainer had some hair looking veg stopped mine up in lake wimico(sp?).marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Another thought - consider doing the ICW, but going outside in La. Just a couple of days, you should be able to find a decent window for it. The barge traffic from NO to Houston is very heavy, and anchorages far between.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:38   #9

I'd love to cut straight across from Tampa to Galveston.

Unfortunately, this is not going to be in our sailboat, but my wife's almost newly acquired dive boat with a 3 foot draft. It only has a 300 gallon tank and miserable 1 mpg. It going to cost $3000 in fuel alone to get it back, but at least its going to be an adventure.

We have a couple of copies of the Campbells and the Texas - Louisiana Coastal Cruising guide, but were looking for others.

We were planning on leaving mid month, but a problem with the exhaust system on one of the engines is endangering that.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:25   #10

Fla. panhandle

I would recommend because of your limited fuel capacity, to go up the Fl. ICW as far as possible, which is Anclote Key. You can fuel up there, then hop into the gulf and make for either Carrabelle or Appalachicola. This should give you a fairly short offshore hop, well within your fuel window. From there it's a snap inside, except for around New Orleans and down through Morgan City and Lake Charles. This leg is going to be frustrating, as the barge traffic is heavy, and the locks can be slow getting through. Some nice scenery though, and in a powerboat shouldn't be that bad. Plenty of marinas, and good anchorages along the way.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:34   #11

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
It only has a 300 gallon tank and miserable 1 mpg. It going to cost $3000 in fuel alone to get it back,
If it's gonna cost that much, call House of Boats in Rockport, Tx and talk to John. He hauled our 34' sailboat to the yard in Rockport for $3k! Save yourself the time and hassle.
Gimme the specs and I'll get you a quote.
LOA
Beam
Draft
etc.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:17   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
It cost me 3k also to have the boat trucked over from Tampa to Seabrook shipyard.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:44   #13

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
My Mainship hauls 220 gallons b4 jerry cans. I will need to go from Fl to Houston or Corpus in a year or two. After Fl, Islands and so forth is done I anticipate bringing her back to Texas.

That being said I hope to steam coastal to Mobile then fill up, go 100 miles out to avoid the oil field and drive right into Galveston or Rockport. After I get to know the boat better and know my range I will be able to assertain if that is prudent.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:18   #14

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
If it's gonna cost that much, call House of Boats in Rockport, Tx and talk to John....
John runs a great DIY yard and is a heck of a guy to do business with. I second Fishman's recommendation...
Old 07-01-2010, 09:26   #15

We thought about trucking it, but the estimate came out to be about $6K. Theres the mileage charge, hauling in /out charges, removal of the flybridge. Two other people with this type of boat described the horrors of having the flybridge removed and reassembled.

Plus, if we trucked it we would miss out on the adventure which I think we may never have another opportunity to experience.

Tags
houston