Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:41   #1

Swansboro North Carolina to Beaufort North Carolina

All,
I just bought a Catalina 36 and I need to deliver it to Jarrett Bay Marina to put it on a truck.
I will arrive at the boat late friday and need to be at the marina by Monday morning. Can anybody who is familiar with the area recommend a route or recommend an anchorange. I would like to cruise a little.
I was thinking of going to Cape Lookout and anchoring. Not sure if I should go out the inlet at Swansboro and sail or just motor up the intercoastal. I have a dinghy so I could do some exploring in it. I wouldn't mind seeing the horses or the fort. Maybe fishing?
mike37909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Swansboro North Carolina to Beaufort North Carolina

Cape Lookout Bight is a beautiful anchorage with lots of shoreline at the park...beach, lighthouse. We try not to miss it. I do not recommend using Bogue Inlet. If you're starting at Swansboro, take the ICW up to Beaufort...you can anchor at the town, too. If you have time and the conditions are nice, you can take an ocean daysail/fishing trip from Cape Lookout. Have fun!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I wouldn't go out Bogue Inlet and Cape Lookout could be cold and bleak this time of year.

If you want to do some sailing go up the Adams Creek Canal north of Jarrett Bay and sail in the Neuse River. Then anchor in any of the creeks. Cedar Creek off of the ICW in the north part of Adams Creek is nice or go over to Oriental and anchor in their harbor or tie up at Town Dock.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:36   #4

I thought the Bogue Inlet looked bad on the charts. That answers one of my main questions. I will start my learning on the Nuese river area. I think it is supposed to be almost 70 on Sat.

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:48   #5

Are there strong currents I need to account for if I motor up the intercoastal from Swansboro to Beaufort or Cape Lookout?
Anyone know where I can find a diver to check/scrape the prop?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:54   #6

Boat: Manta 42

You might want to check out Core Creek Marina, which is next door to Jarrett Bay. Core Creek also hauls out. We're going there the first of March to haul and do some maintenance.
Cape Lookout is great, but as the previous poster said, the weather can make it miserable.
Beaufort is one of our favorite places in all of NC. The creek is good for dropping the hook. The town's waterfront is great for walking, and there's a great martime museum too. Lot's to explore in Beaufort.
Good luck.
perkie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:43   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

You may find currents running 1 to 2 kn. The flow will reverse around Mile 220 so you can save time by catching the ebb tide from there to Morehead City/Beaufort. Watch for temporary markers and honor them, and watch for bridge repair at the Emerald Island Bridge (barges may be in place under the bridge, but still plenty of area to pass).

If you're putting the boat on a truck, I guess you mean you need a diver for before leaving Swansboro...I'm sure Dudley's can set you up, or just check online locally there. The trip is only 30 statute miles to Jarrett. Good luck and enjoy!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaufort