Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 19:47   #1

Staying on the Hook in So Cal - Insiders Tip

Free/cheap places to drop hook, catch a ball, or transient slip in So Cal????

Wanting to spend aprox 10 months hopping around So Ca before Baha. Plan to leave SF Bay Area late fall, get around Point Conception, and hang tight from jan-oct. Goal is to stay on the hook as much as possible, and supplement with transient slips/balls for rest/supplies. I'm interested in sailor's experience parking as cheaply as possible in So Cal. I will be living on the boat. I've been reading about spots like the police docks in SD, 90 day transient anchorage in SD, the oil islands in long beach, weekly ball fees in catalina(off season), what are some other options, tips, and legal tricks?

Thanks all,
Pearson Triton Sailor
Old 30-05-2011, 21:13   #2

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Staying on the hook in So Cal - Insiders Tip

I stay on the hook 2 wk's at a time in the Channel Islands, go to Ventura or Oxnard for stores , fuel,water,and my Rum. I spend the night at the guest dock w/ power & water for $1. a foot. That's as cheap as I can do..
..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 22:13   #3

Catalina Mooring weekly rate seems reasonable in the off season, with trip over to a mooring ball in Newport for supplies. Seems like summer/fall is going to be the busy/pricey time, maybe that's when I'll be hanging on Santa Cruz Island and supplying in Ventura and Santa Barbara.

My boat will be setup to collect all the decks rain water.... i'm assuming this is minimal in the summer and fall on santa cruz island?
Old 30-05-2011, 23:10   #4

You can get alot of information from this web site.

sailchannelislands.com

Capt. Dan

I will be leaving in the first part of August south from the Columbia River to the Islands. Give a shout when you get in the area. I anchor a lot in Smugglers Cove. There are a couple springs on the Island, but do not know the water quality now...Michael..
Old 30-05-2011, 23:13   #5
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordansname View Post
Catalina Mooring weekly rate seems reasonable in the off season, with trip over to a mooring ball in Newport for supplies. Seems like summer/fall is going to be the busy/pricey time, maybe that's when I'll be hanging on Santa Cruz Island and supplying in Ventura and Santa Barbara.

My boat will be setup to collect all the decks rain water.... i'm assuming this is minimal in the summer and fall on santa cruz island?
There's a pair of RAWS sites on SCI, and a quick perusal of the historical data for the last ten years shows about .25 inch of precip total from May to September, with somewhere between .1 and .5 inches in October. I was going to say it was rather dry here during those times, but the numbers say it so much better than I.

You can actually check out all of the data yourself here.

It's more than twice as far from SCI to Santa Barbara as it is from Anacapa to Channel Islands harbor, but there's a huge open anchorage right off town in SB, whereas you're pretty much limited to the harbors in Oxnard and Ventura.

It sounds like a great plan, and with some jerry jugs you wouldn't have to make the trip as often, but I wouldn't plan on collecting rainwater during that time. Although, it did rain heavily twice this May, so maybe you'll get lucky.

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 03:02   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Most mainland anchorages in So Cal are very poorly protected from bad weather. Santa Barbara's anchorage is notorious for boats getting dragged to the beach in every winter storm. Folks who try and anchor off Marina Del Rey suffer the same fate. Santa Cruz island has anchorages on practically all sides, so one can usually find some protection, but of course zero services. It is easy to get trapped on SCI for a weeks in the winter as the large low pressures are pushed along by strong NW winds filling in behind them. Crossing the SB Channel in 25kts can really suck.

To my knowledge, none of the protected harbors in So Cal allow anchoring inside their harbors. Transient slips can be found with reasonable rates in winter.

If you choose to anchor off the harbors of So Cal in the winter, be sure you know what the weather will be doing each and every day. The moorings at Catalina Island are not protected from north gales (except Cat Harbor, which is an all weather anchorage, but very remote. Basic supplies are available, and a few ferry trips to mainland each week). Oil Islands at Long Beach are exposed to swells and untenable in winter storms.

Safest places are Newport moorings and San Diego harbor. Cheapest places are on a different coast altogether.
Old 31-05-2011, 16:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
You can get alot of information from this web site.

sailchannelislands.com

Capt. Dan

I will be leaving in the first part of August south from the Columbia River to the Islands. Give a shout when you get in the area. I anchor a lot in Smugglers Cove. There are a couple springs on the Island, but do not know the water quality now...Michael..
Whats your usual ground tackle setups for the island?
Old 31-05-2011, 16:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Most mainland anchorages in So Cal are very poorly protected from bad weather. Santa Barbara's anchorage is notorious for boats getting dragged to the beach in every winter storm. Folks who try and anchor off Marina Del Rey suffer the same fate. Santa Cruz island has anchorages on practically all sides, so one can usually find some protection, but of course zero services. It is easy to get trapped on SCI for a weeks in the winter as the large low pressures are pushed along by strong NW winds filling in behind them. Crossing the SB Channel in 25kts can really suck.

To my knowledge, none of the protected harbors in So Cal allow anchoring inside their harbors. Transient slips can be found with reasonable rates in winter.

If you choose to anchor off the harbors of So Cal in the winter, be sure you know what the weather will be doing each and every day. The moorings at Catalina Island are not protected from north gales (except Cat Harbor, which is an all weather anchorage, but very remote. Basic supplies are available, and a few ferry trips to mainland each week). Oil Islands at Long Beach are exposed to swells and untenable in winter storms.

Safest places are Newport moorings and San Diego harbor. Cheapest places are on a different coast altogether.
Thanks for the info... how available are Newport Mooring in the summer months?
Old 31-05-2011, 17:12   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

Here is a real good book about cruising southern California. Jan thru March can be pretty rough in So Cal. That would be a good time to use your 90 days inside San Diego. Newport Beach used to be $5 a night for transient but I think the price has gone up.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 19:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordansname View Post
Whats your usual ground tackle setups for the island?
I have a 26' sloop[ 8000#'s ] I use a 20# HT Danforth w/ 50' 3/8" chain w/300' rode. a little over kill. Stern is 13# Danforth w/ 20' 1/4" chain w/ 150' rode. Most anchorages have a sand bottom, but there are a few area's of mud & eel grass. I alway's make certain that I have a good set. this is just a great place to spend time. Snorkling, fishing, and just playing on the beach. Sailed here for years, I love this place..Michael..
Old 01-06-2011, 13:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
I have a 26' sloop[ 8000#'s ] I use a 20# HT Danforth w/ 50' 3/8" chain w/300' rode. a little over kill. Stern is 13# Danforth w/ 20' 1/4" chain w/ 150' rode. Most anchorages have a sand bottom, but there are a few area's of mud & eel grass. I alway's make certain that I have a good set. this is just a great place to spend time. Snorkling, fishing, and just playing on the beach. Sailed here for years, I love this place..Michael..
What seasons have you spent there?
Old 01-06-2011, 13:16   #12

what are the holding tank requirements for mooring in places like avalon and newport? I know dumping overboard is illegal. If i show up with a porta potti or bucket with pump out fitting am I going to be able to get a ball?
Old 01-06-2011, 13:30   #13

Boat: Islander 36

Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro has an anchorage where you can spend a few days after checking in with the Port Police. I don't have any more details than that so you'll need to dig a little deeper.

Also, I see no mention of the free anchorage at the Istumus (Two Harbors) at the west end of Catalina.
Old 01-06-2011, 13:30   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Porta potti might fly, but don't count on it. Avalon Harbor Patrol boards your boat when you arrive and puts a dye tablet in the toilet, then flushes it. A real holding tank and an ondeck pump out fitting is the best bet.

It's one thing to try and go on the cheap; it's another to try and fly under the regulations. The further south you get, the less tolerant you will find the officials. Orange County will not welcome you if you don't have proper waste system, and San Diego doesn't waste time with warnings: if you don't have all the required stuff, expect a ticket down there.
Old 01-06-2011, 13:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Porta potti might fly, but don't count on it. Avalon Harbor Patrol boards your boat when you arrive and puts a dye tablet in the toilet, then flushes it. A real holding tank and an ondeck pump out fitting is the best bet.

It's one thing to try and go on the cheap; it's another to try and fly under the regulations. The further south you get, the less tolerant you will find the officials. Orange County will not welcome you if you don't have proper waste system, and San Diego doesn't waste time with warnings: if you don't have all the required stuff, expect a ticket down there.
don't plan to fly under any regulations, just a sailing minimalist. been doing research online and can't find regulations specific to newport... for catalina the website simply says NO dumping of sewage, but no mention of proper holding vessels... if i'm holding it onboard for pump out, does the holding vessel matter?

Tags
cal