Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2017, 05:30   #1

Boat: Taswell 2000 44feet
St (Kitt) Christopher Immigration

We have been cruising the Caribbean for the past 7 months.
Clearing in and out through Customs and Immigration is often impersonal and formal anywhere.
My experience with the immigration lady working the main terminal office at Basseterre, 3pm on April 24, 2017 was the most rude and unwelcoming of my entire winter cruise, by far !!
I won't be going back to St Kitt.
We left Basseterre without spending a dime.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 20:42   #2

Boat: Albin Vega
Re: St (Kitt) Christopher Immigration

Interesting, what happened?
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 03:42   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Clear in at Charlestown on Nevis. They're much nicer over there.

p.s. my worst clearing in experience was in Philipsburg on Sint Maarten. The immigration lady must have been having a really bad day, and she took it out on me for some reason.
Old 16-05-2017, 04:11   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've cleared in several times at both Basseterre and Charlestown and have never had a bad experience. Basseterre is more complicated, with the bad anchorage outside and then having to enter the cruise ship dock building and work immigration on one side and the port authority on other. Charelestown now has all formalities bunched in 3 neighbouring offices at the dock (one used to have walk a long way to the police station for the immigration portion) plus the anchorage is much calmer and more accessible.

I always shower, shave and put on a clean shirt (usually my "formal" wear - a polo shirt with a collar) before going into immigration and have only very rarely had issues, and most of those were caused by myself.

I'd be interested in what transpired with Callahan as well.
Old 16-05-2017, 05:04   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I would also like to hear the story. I have heard a few other stories through the grapevine this year (about St. Kiits). I have also had more than a few people tell me to check-in at Nevis instead.

Anyway.. It would be interesting to know the story. You may also want to detail it in Active Captain.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 06:49   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
We have been cruising the Caribbean for the past 7 months.
Clearing in and out through Customs and Immigration is often impersonal and formal anywhere.
My experience with the immigration lady working the main terminal office at Basseterre, 3pm on April 24, 2017 was the most rude and unwelcoming of my entire winter cruise, by far !!
I won't be going back to St Kitt.
We left Basseterre without spending a dime.
Not anywhere! Only in ---holes where some people have no respect for other people. It is a taboo of sorts, much as everybody talks about it.

Imagine you cleared on a different day and you might as well get a completely opposite impression! Or not.

It is true, however, that St Kitts and Nevis seem to be way below the average of education, respect and professionalism. We heard similar to yours comments already back in 2013 and so we resolved to pass by. We visited Antigua and Barbuda instead where our feelings were ... mixed. There we some super kind people in the offices, and some pretty stiff ones too.

Take it slow. This is part of the sailing / cruising reality. Imagine you are playing a game. Whoever blinks first ... ;-)

We hope the rest of the trip goes without hiccups.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 13:41   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
...It is true, however, that St Kitts and Nevis seem to be way below the average of education, respect and professionalism...
Barnie, I don't think it's fair to include Nevis in your negative assessment.

My wife and I visited Nevis multiple times over two years of cruising, and lived on Nevis full time for six years. They are the nicest, friendliest most respectful people of all the eastern Caribbean islands, and I've visited all but three. And Nevis is very proud of it's 95% literacy rate.
Old 16-05-2017, 14:13   #8

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

We check in at St. Kitts Marine Works, St. Kitts under Brimstone hill. Cross the road to customs, then catch a frequent bus to Sandy Pointe police station. They are all very friendly and it's fun to do. Find some local food in Sandy pointe, buy some local grown produce.
But here's a tip to make it go smoother in any Caribbean island. When you go in any room, say, loudly, "good morning/afternoon". Everyone will be friendly. If you don't, expect a cold reception. This is especially important in any Government office. It's an old British custom.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 14:29   #9

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

If you do visit SKN, be sure to get a case of Skol beer. $1/bottle, great beer. Carib is also brewed here. The produce market across from the ferry port in Basseterre has lots of local products, the pineapples are the best you will find. Local rum in NEVIS, excellent.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 15:06   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Barnie, I don't think it's fair to include Nevis in your negative assessment.

My wife and I visited Nevis multiple times over two years of cruising, and lived on Nevis full time for six years. They are the nicest, friendliest most respectful people of all the eastern Caribbean islands, and I've visited all but three. And Nevis is very proud of it's 95% literacy rate.
I stand corrected.

The bad reports we heard were never of Nevis, all were from people checking in at St Kitts.

I still want to visit there ... so I will steer towards Nevis this winter.

Thanks for correcting my statements and for the info on where to go to avoid St Kitts blues!

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 19:56   #11

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I checked in at Basseterre a few years ago to hide from a few days of high winds. When I went to the office in the cruise ship terminal they were besieged with cruise ship people who wanted stamps in their passports as souveneirs even though they didnt really need them. The people there were somewhat harrassed by this but seemed to appreciate me for being patient and were quite friendly once they found out I was on a sailboat and had to be there. And as someone said above, American manners tend to be a bit abrupt to most Caribbean people. Be relaxed, remember to say good afternoon and smile. After all, what is the rush?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote