Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 13:11   #16

Southern Norway - Serbia

https://www.blocket.se/vi/87344534.htm

Buy something like this one in the north part of the Swedish west coast. The you have a beautiful first part down to Gothenburg then cross over to Denmark via Lasoe and then down to Kiel and the canals via the Danish east coast. This will give you more shelter from the roughest part of the North Sea and a very nice trip
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 13:33   #17

Boat: Self-build, motorboat, 6.4 m, Honda 7.5 hp
Re: Southern Norway - Serbia

Just watched that boat yesterday and this area ... I like this boat.

Thanks Flod, this is a great route idea.
Flod, do you can plese attach any picture with this route? I don't know exactly this route ...

I think it's now (october) too late to sail the North Sea?
haklberisojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 13:39   #18

Yes I would recommend to wait until the spring. May/June/July is the best time with good chances for nice weather and long days with lots of daylight
Old 10-10-2019, 13:47   #19

Southern Norway - Serbia

Here is a map of the route down to KielClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	201309
Old 10-10-2019, 13:55   #20

Boat: Saxe Ocean

The Saga 27 is a nice little boat, but it is not well suited for crossing the North Sea. It has been done though, by a few very experienced boaters. Ocean crossing is for sure not comfortable in a "Snekke", these boats have a very heavy rolling tendence and I think you will regret every minute you are in beam sea.

Depending on where in Norway you buy the boat, I would go along the Norwegian coast to the Oslofjord and cross there over to Sweden, follow the swedish coast to Helsingborg, crossing to Denmark somewhere there and go down to Germany and the inland canals. Hundreds and hundreds of Norwegians does this crossing to Denmark in the summertime. (I have even done it in a kayak) Most of the distance can be in protected waters. You will need some navigation skills, there is lots and lots of underwater rocks, and small islands everywhere. The south/southeast Norwegian and Swedish coast is extremely beautiful in the spring and summertime, but tends to be very crowded in July, early/mid June is IMO the best time.

The Saga 27 will have no problems with that route. However, they are getting old now, and you need to take a good close look at engine, tank, hoses, filters, electrics etc.

If you ask for advice in the norwegian forum baatplassen.no you probably will get very detailed advice and suggestions, both for the trip and the Saga 27.
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 13:59   #21

If the dream is to sail it home then do it. Here the site with all of europes inland waterways for planing. european-waterways.eu book shop: Waterway Maps, Waterway Guides, Nautical Books
Also search in the Netherlands, they also have good prices.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:01   #22
cruiser

Why Scandinavia, why saga 27. You could buy in Holland or UK. I do not know how much money you are willing to spend but I would definitely go for seaward boats, seaward 27 or 29.
kantafig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:39   #23

Thanks all.

My budget for boat: 6000-9000 eur. plus budget for sailing

My conclusion after years of reading: The Netherlands has the best metal ships. Norway has the best glass plastic boats.

I'm not just watching Saga 27. There's also Nimbus, Tresfjord, Marex, Sundvik.

I'll look at Seaward 27/29

Please feel free and you suggest a good boat for my route.
Old 10-10-2019, 15:03   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantafig View Post
Why Scandinavia, why saga 27. You could buy in Holland or UK. I do not know how much money you are willing to spend but I would definitely go for seaward boats, seaward 27 or 29.

Well, Seaward, made in Cowes and I know them well, would be 10x the price or 20x the price. Seaward 27 is £270 000 IIRC. Awesome boats, but the price!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 16:45   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, Seaward, made in Cowes and I know them well, would be 10x the price or 20x the price. Seaward 27 is £270 000 IIRC. Awesome boats, but the price!

Yes, Awesome boats. I would like to have Seaward 42 Aft Cabin.
kantafig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 22:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
The Saga 27 is a nice little boat, but it is not well suited for crossing the North Sea. It has been done though, by a few very experienced boaters. Ocean crossing is for sure not comfortable in a "Snekke", these boats have a very heavy rolling tendence and I think you will regret every minute you are in beam sea.

Depending on where in Norway you buy the boat, I would go along the Norwegian coast to the Oslofjord and cross there over to Sweden, follow the swedish coast to Helsingborg, crossing to Denmark somewhere there and go down to Germany and the inland canals. Hundreds and hundreds of Norwegians does this crossing to Denmark in the summertime. (I have even done it in a kayak) Most of the distance can be in protected waters. You will need some navigation skills, there is lots and lots of underwater rocks, and small islands everywhere. The south/southeast Norwegian and Swedish coast is extremely beautiful in the spring and summertime, but tends to be very crowded in July, early/mid June is IMO the best time.

The Saga 27 will have no problems with that route. However, they are getting old now, and you need to take a good close look at engine, tank, hoses, filters, electrics etc.

If you ask for advice in the norwegian forum baatplassen.no you probably will get very detailed advice and suggestions, both for the trip and the Saga 27.
SamH, thanks very much. This is very useful inf for me: how to safely crossing to Denmark (from Sweden or Norway). Do you can plese attach any picture with this route?
Old 10-10-2019, 23:42   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by haklberisojer View Post
SamH, thanks very much. This is very useful inf for me: how to safely crossing to Denmark (from Sweden or Norway). Do you can plese attach any picture with this route?

That's not a "North Sea Crossing"! Good lord. The Skaggerak is only 25 miles wide in some places, and only 60 miles or so from around Kristiansand. An easy day sail in nice weather. And if you're coming from Oslofjorden, you just follow the coast down -- there's no crossing of anything. People, don't exaggerate this.

A Saga 27 will be absolutely fine for this provided you have time to pick reasonable weather. You do it bit by bit, motor by day when the weather is good, hunker down in port when the weather is bad. The advantage of doing this in a mobo is that you don't need favorable wind, just calm enough, and you can make plenty of miles in even a few hours of calm weather. It is not rocket science.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
SamH, I have registered on baatplassen.no, now. Could I set a question (post) in English there? (I see there only posts in Norwegian)
Old 11-10-2019, 01:13   #29

Boat: Saxe Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by haklberisojer View Post
SamH, I have registered on baatplassen.no, now. Could I set a question (post) in English there? (I see there only posts in Norwegian)
Yes, you can. Most Scandinavians understand english very well.
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:22   #30

What is your opinion about Tresfjord 28 or 29?

Eg:
https://www.finn.no/boat/forsale/ad....kode=156083396
https://www.finn.no/boat/forsale/ad....kode=149668273
https://www.finn.no/boat/forsale/ad....kode=159486349

Tags
grass, Norway