Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 23:01   #16
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Re: San Diego/Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas during Christmas/New Year

Thank you all! There is a wealth of information here! I ordered the book from Pat Rains, I will look at it for potential anchorages. A few more follow-ups:

My boat is DMV registered (I am not a US citizen, so USCG registration is not an option). Would this be an issue in Mexico?

How cheap is maintenance in Ensenada, is it worth to wait for moving the boat down there for some maintenance? Any specific recommendations on boatyards and their availability?

I don't think we will have enough time and energy to make it to La Paz, so we will aim for Cabo San Lucas. Also being able to fly in and out quickly is a huge plus since our visits will be short and time bound (most likely over the weekends). When we say the marinas are expensive, is there any range/ballpark estimate?
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 23:42   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

You better check price and availibility before you decide to stop at Cabo. Marinas are limited and expensive in Cabo. Many cruisers give it a pass and carry on toward La Paz. La Paz is an interesting city, being the state capital it is more than just a tourist trap. Getting to the airport from La Paz is not tough.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:44   #18

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

No problem getting TIP with DMV registration. Many do so. The registeation doc proves your ownership of the boat regardless of your citizenship. Especially in your case however. it would be best to use services of the marina to do this paperwork.

Cruiseport marina in Ensenada is IMHO a much better place for a short or long stay than the alternatives. From what I could see of Baha Naval, those docks and bathrooms were questionable.

This time of year you will want to continue south rather than to LaPaz. LaPaz and Sea of Cortez best in spring.

Best place to go after rounding the Cabo is Marina San Jose Del Cabo. 4 hours east of Cabo. Quick bus ride back to Cabo San Lucas for tourism. Rates about same as LaPaz. Small grocery stores, chandlery and good restaurant steps from transient dock.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 04:20   #19

Boatyards in Ensenada - worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
How cheap is maintenance in Ensenada, is it worth to wait for moving the boat down there for some maintenance? Any specific recommendations on boatyards and their availability??
In short: Yes, definitely worth the wait (exception is bottom paint - no deals in Ensenada), but all else, worth the wait. Yes, recomendation - Niza Marine (Niza Marine - Home) or PM me for contact information to Mario, the co-owner. If you plan on having work done in Mexico (or anywhere outside the US), bring any major parts with you, especially any hi-dollar ones such as A/C units, generator, etc.

LONG:

My boat is in Ensenada right now for a major refit (1970 Willard 36 Trawler). For boats in our size range, there is one well known boatyard - Baja Naval. I traded email with them prior to bringing my boat down from San Francisco and while the quotes were not ultra-cheap, they were reasonable. Unfortunately, when I arrived, the quotes more than doubled. Some of that was testament to difficulty of bidding pre-work from a picture, but other items such as fabrication of a new fiberglass hard top was inexplicable. They were also very slow in giving quotes - I spent 2-months at their docks and only received quotes for less than half the work the agreed to quote. In my opinion, they either did not want the work, or are quoting against SoCal rates despite listing $28-$30 hour labor rates. They do have a reputation for doing fine work though.

I also monitor a Yahoo! group of Mexico cruisers (Southbound Group - mostly Sea of Cortez cruisers), and one recommended Niza Marine in Ensenada. I am about 6-months into the refit with them and it has been going well, rates are honest, work is B+, and they are easy to work with. That said, speciality work such as mechanic, electrician, or welders are all sub-contractors in Ensenada (even with Baja Naval) and the rates are in the $50-$60 per hour range. Niza Marine is a small team of workers who broke-away from Baja Naval a few years ago. If a haul-out is needed, they use a yard a few hundred yards from Baja Naval (known only as "Guillermo's"). Warning: bottom painting is no deal in Ensenada - they all charge roughly the same, and only a slight discount from SoCal yards.

Niza Marine - Home - or drop me a PM and I'll introduce you to Mario (Excellent English).

There are three marinas in Ensenada. Baja Naval is the most convenient, but their docks are rickety and get a ton of surge and wakes from fishing and tourist boats. Not recommended for long term. Second is Cruiseport Village. Nice marina - about $13/ft/mo. About 12-15 minute walk to town. Very secure. Marina Coral about 3-miles north of town. This is more of a resort style place. Many people like it. Uber cabs are cheap in Ensenada.

One final note on having work done in Ensenada. There are three factors that go into having work done anywhere: Cost, Skill/Facilities, and access to parts. Everyone automatically makes a comparison on labor rates. But availability of parts is huge, and and you have to include tax/duty on those parts as part of the cost. I have to say, making periodic trips to Ensenada is a pain in the butt - return trip often has a 2-hour wait in traffic at the Tijuana border crossing. But getting parts into Ensenada is a breeze. Mario (Niza Marine) goes to Downwind Marine and/or Port Supply (West Marine) a few times a month; or I have had parts shipped to them in San Diego and they just drive them across for smaller orders. Niza's mark-up is very reasonable (Baja Naval wanted 20% above WM published prices). I have also hauled a bunch of stuff down. Bottom line - the logistics of going to Ensenada are greatly outweighed by the ease of getting quality parts. I have avoided about 90% of the customs/duty hassle and expense that I would have otherwise incurred.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:38   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Have done what you are planning many times while I still worked. You will need to stop in Ensenada as people have said to clear in and get a TIP. If you stay at Coral Marina they have a shuttle that will take you to San Diego for your flight home. Cabo marina expensive, but San Jose del Cabo 18 miles further is the place to stay. La Paz is better. All the marinas are great and easy to leave your boat at. Flying to Tijuana from La Paz is easier than to San Francisco. with CBX its a dream and easy to get to SAN for flights to San Diego. You can feel totally comfortable commuting to your boat. You can hire folks at the marina to keep it clean, take care of the bottom, or if repairs are needed the marina and cruising community will steer you to the right place.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:39   #21
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boatyards in Ensenada - worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
In short: Yes, definitely worth the wait (exception is bottom paint - no deals in Ensenada), but all else, worth the wait. Yes, recomendation - Niza Marine (Niza Marine - Home) or PM me for contact information to Mario, the co-owner. If you plan on having work done in Mexico (or anywhere outside the US), bring any major parts with you, especially any hi-dollar ones such as A/C units, generator, etc.

LONG:

This is truly fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed message. I will PM you for a request for introduction.

Thank you again, people like you make this forum invaluable.
Old 16-09-2019, 10:43   #22
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Have done what you are planning many times while I still worked. You will need to stop in Ensenada as people have said to clear in and get a TIP. If you stay at Coral Marina they have a shuttle that will take you to San Diego for your flight home. Cabo marina expensive, but San Jose del Cabo 18 miles further is the place to stay. La Paz is better. All the marinas are great and easy to leave your boat at. Flying to Tijuana from La Paz is easier than to San Francisco. with CBX its a dream and easy to get to SAN for flights to San Diego. You can feel totally comfortable commuting to your boat. You can hire folks at the marina to keep it clean, take care of the bottom, or if repairs are needed the marina and cruising community will steer you to the right place.
Thank you

Tags
christmas, san diego