Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 20:33   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Question Sailing to Bocas del Toro

We are on our way from Puerto Vallarta to Bocas Del Toro. Looking for experience there, comments, etc

Thanks

Patrick
Shuttersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 21:17   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Well, still raining here in Panama ;-)

I've not been there yet but hear that the better anchoring spots are at 30+ foot depth.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 04:36   #3

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Bocas del toro

I am in Bocas Marina with my boat. Very nice private marina with nice people. You can anchor out without much problem and pay small fee $1.00 for showers and garbage. I just bought my boat so I do not know much about cruising around. I would recommend THE PANAMA CRUISING GUIDE BY Eric Bauhaus. I just bought one and very very informative on cruising Panama waters. Amazon.com is out so I bought it at the marina. They tell me the islands and waters are very nice in Bocas del Toro. You can provision but they bring everything is so it is 30% more in price than the mainland. Go to Bocas Yacht Club & Marina for more information. They sell the book at the marina for $48.00. Write me if you need any advice on Panama. Just getting starting in the sailing world here, but I have living in Panama City for over 3 years so I know about the country. When are you leaving Puerto Rico. Watch the weather. All down wind.. almost
Old 17-09-2009, 04:37   #4

Bocas del toro Mouth of the bull

Oops Puerto Vallarta is not Puerto Rico Sorry..
Old 17-09-2009, 08:25   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Bocas help

THANKS!

Are the bugs enough of a problem to be concerned? How is security in general in the Bocas area? We are looking forward to "get away" in Bocas, love wandering among small islands, diving, and the Marina looks perfect .... just checking to make we are making the right decision.

Patrick
Shuttersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 08:34   #6
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
bugs? this is Panama, man... there are bugs everywhere, except in highlands like El Valle...

Try the mosquito coils that burn some toxic stuff very slowly. and mosquito net. (works well over hammocks)

Once you get to Bocas you might want to consider some inland visits. David is really nice and the area is abound with coffee (upland) so stock up, and flowers everywhere. and amazing birds. its beautiful.

when you head south (really east) from there hit the San Blas Islands. Super diving and really fabulous experiences.

have fun, you are headed to a wonderful place!

And Panama James, have you bumped into a redheaded naval retiree named rusty? Used to live on a killer tri in the canal area...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 11:19   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
We liked the San Blas Islands, It's run by the Kuna People, they fought a war with the government of Panama and won, so be sure to check in with them. The islands extend all the way to Columbia. Bocas was OK, but the hustle was a little aggressive, it's more Caribbean.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 08:44   #8

Bugs are in Bocas but when I was there only got bit twice each time.. Bring the repellent.
Dengy fever is on the rise in Panama.. They say the bugs in Bocas vary from not bad to terrible. I have never been there when they are bad.
I am getting a yellow fever shot here in Panama, its $5.00 In oregon they quoted me $195.00. Yellow fever is nasty nasty and so is Dengy... protect yourself.
Old 20-09-2009, 08:46   #9

Moving from Bocas

I am moving my boat from Bocas cause it is so isolated. I have to travel from Panama city and 300 miles is too far and airfare for me and my girl is too expensive. To live there for a month or so I think would be a treat you would do once.

Dont feel hustled there.
Old 20-09-2009, 10:35   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
The "noseeums" seem to be the biggest problem. When I anchor a little ways from shore I seldom have a problem.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 11:15   #11

noseums

are bad at certain times of the day.... everything attacks me, my girl friend they dont bother.. must be the french perfume.
Old 20-09-2009, 11:17   #12

Sarafina

I am new here to the boating community I do not know Rusty your friend... hardly know anyone yet but I will ... james