Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 02:22   #1

Boat: Tornado 720, 24ft Twin Keel - Twister
Sailing Back to Oz

Hey all,

Just wanted to say hello and share my intent...having lived in the UK for the last few years I finally managed to build up the courage (and money) to sail back to Oz...I intend to do it on a 24ft twin keeler and in the process of fitting her out for the trip. I will try to take 1 extra person where possible however I imagine due to size I will mostly single hand...so will be posting a whole bunch of questions no doubt and hope to set off around march/april from UK...
tdsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:16   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome to the Forum, tdsail. Sounds like quite an adventure! Which way 'round will you be going?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:44   #3

Thinking of UK, Bahamas, Panama, Australia (and a few stops in between )
Old 03-12-2008, 05:24   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Whilst the route is a goodun, Panama will give you a significant problem due to the speed which you need to achieve through the canal. If you cant keep up you get stopped and fined.

Due to cost etc if I was considering this trip in that size boat, I would be lookin to truck her over the Isthmus.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41   #5

Yes Panama was my main concern...I read that you need to do 4knts, and I can do around 6 with my outboard, but the danger is always that it will break down etc (murphy's law) where did you say I would need to truck over from? And what do you think would be the potential cost?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsail View Post
Yes Panama was my main concern...I read that you need to do 4knts, and I can do around 6 with my outboard, but the danger is always that it will break down etc (murphy's law) where did you say I would need to truck over from? And what do you think would be the potential cost?
The fuel cost for that distance under outboard will probably pay for the two crane lifts!

The regulations for transit state:
The ACP has determined that the minimum
full

ahead
speed required for vessels in order to complete transit in standard times is 8 knots.

I havent looked into the trucking costs or viability, but would expect that one of the yacht clubs in the area can probably assist.
Old 13-12-2008, 12:06   #7

Boat: Any time now!
I would venture that any sailing yacht with a LWL shorter than about 37 feet (Probably looking at 45 footers or better) cannot make 8 knots regardless of motor power. There must be some provision for smaller craft.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 12:19   #8

Hopefully someone who has actually done the passage through the canal will comment.
Old 14-12-2008, 12:35   #9

Boat: Island Packet 45. Tiki Hut
E mail Mark and Nicolle at "Our Life at Sea". Our Life At Sea
They have pictures of their transit and interesting comments .
I purchased my IP45 after it made the passage west to east and it may hit 6.5 knots under motor power. Good Luck!
Old 13-01-2009, 03:15   #10

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter
Hey mate,

I've done exactly what you're intending to do - Except I'm in New York City, having sailed from Southampton, to Amsterdam, the coast of Europe to the Canaries, Barbados, Antigua and then nonstop to New York.

I'm skipping the Canal by trucking my boat overland in March to California, and then doing something creative to get myself over there - Maybe on a bicycle.

Anyway, if you need any tips or advice, let me know - I did it on a 26ft Contessa with hardly a dime.

Good luck, it's the best thing you'll ever do. (And hardest)

Nick,
http://www.bigoceans.com
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 14:13   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hi

Its a great trip

The Panama Canal is wonderful too We were just remembering it last night LOL

Speed: Its a money thing:

8kts US$600 aprox (plus refundable deposit $800) Plus mooring lines & tyres $150, Paperwork $45 - All these things REQUIRED Total $1,000

4-8kts US$2,200 (plus $800 refundable deposit) plus $400 for line handlers because its hard to get free line handlers for a small boat, Plus mooring lines & tyres $150, Paperwork $45 - All these things REQUIRED Total $2,800

Less than 4 kts: Towed by Panama Canal Tug (Some people think Towing can be by another cruiser. This is Wrong. It is only by Panama Canal Tug)
Cost unknown but high, say $3000++??

Now the politics: 8kts. Few boats can sustain that speed. But it is never asked for! Max we went was 7kts and then most of the way was at about 5kts. Even boats that can't do 8 kts should say they can!
For a 24 footer though, they will realise you can't and the money stacks up. But try! You might get a good "ad measurer" that lets you through

You must supply food and drinks of GOOD standard! Have a CLEAN boat and clean Heads etc Otherwise the Pilot (advisor) may reject your boat and you will have to pay an $800 rescheduling fee; Or the Advisor may order in his own luch to be delivered - this happened and the boat was charged over $300!!!!!!

Small / old boats come under careful scrutinary so play the game and have the boat Ship Shape and Bristol Fashion! Clean, SMELLING like a rose! The galley absolutely hygienic. The Admeasurer inspects it and so does the Advisor.

With the outboard. ensure its up to the job of an 8 hour run. Theres a motor bike shop in Colon and they serviced my 3.3hp OB for $30, so if you are worried get it serviced

The reason for the rigmarole: Blocking Panama Canal is a huge hindrance to world trade. So much so that the US invaded in 1989. You boat will not be allowed to hinder World Trade.
One of the marvels of the Panama Canal is the huge ships and the thousands of miles the canal cuts off a ships voyage. We are small fry and taken through under sufferance, but its only when you transit the canal do you understand and say: "Yes, if I was running the Canal I would treat small boats as they are treated now."

Its one place where you can't buck the system, nor get through cheaply.

But it will be a couple of the most amazing days of your voyage

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:46   #12

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.
Re: Sailing back to Oz

The last time I went through we averaged 5 kts.But could do 10kts..My boat I have now does 9kts.If you are 65' you can tie up to a tug whitch we did.I'm going to try and do the same with my 60'..I have all the lines I need aboard now and won't need tires if I tie to a tug.I think I can get by with $2000.00 at the most,but I think I can do it for $1400.00 tops..Any comments please.
wildbillca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing