Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 07:16   #1

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Route Suggestions..

Boat: We are sailing a 30 foot Cat fully equiped with all the latest gadgets. radar, chart plotters, etc. New sails and rigging, safety equipment on board, as well as a new e-rib..

Crew: Two dogs, and two not experienced "coastal" sailors. Prior to purchasing the boat I knew everything there was to know about sailing.. Now I have my own boat I seem to have lost my ego and most of the pocket book.

Final Destination: Rio Deluce Guatamala

Route:.... Working on it again.

What we would like to do is to take the best route from Tampa to Rio Deluce. We do not have a time frame and we do not have a death wish. (fair weather sailors) We are aware that we are on the crest of the hurricane season but think that we will find a nice window to get across the gulf. We were thinking of sailing down to the keys and crossing to the Dry Tortogas then onto Isla Mujeres, or setting off on a direct route from Tampa to Isla Mujeres..
What would you do if you were in our shoes?
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 08:18   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Ativa, Click on the link on my signature line for some info for the trip from the Keys to the River. There is info on our trip back from the Keys to Tampa bay if you keep looking although it will be in reverse. Suggest you get Raucher's guide and even though much of the info is outdated unless it has been updated (that is the latest rumor) the navigational information is current and still relates.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 09:38   #3

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier
Suggest you get Raucher's guide and even though much of the info is outdated unless it has been updated (that is the latest rumor) the navigational information is current and still relates.

Thanks for the hint, ordered the guide book last week! We have read over your log a few dozen times, I guess we keep looking for the complicated in the uncomplicated.
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 10:30   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Sent you guys a PM. If you don't have SSB you really need it. We always use Herb on Southbound Two for routing weather and he has very seldom been wrong. Our last crossing to Isla was right on the money weather and current wise. He has a website and we would advise contacting him a week in advance of your crossing by email then three to four days prior to the crossing by SSB. Many swear by Chris Parker, but Herb is free. You do need to tolerate his schedule and little quirks but we have used him for ten years. Have not found Chris Parker to be especially accurate and were able to pull down the same info he charges for by email through Winlink and those that are not Hams, through Sailmail for free. You are beginning a great adventure. Enjoy it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:18   #5

Tampa to guatemala

My family just purchased a cat recently and sailed it up from guatemala to tampa. If you have any questions just ask...
philippetort is offline   Reply With Quote