Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 14:53   #1

Boat: Hunter 45 CC 2008
Rio Dulce to Bay Islands Honduras

Would like to make this passage after hurricane season. Concerned about going against trades and piracy off Honduras coast. Any advice will be appreciated. Boat is Hunter 45 center cockpit.
Old 10-08-2016, 15:27   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Rio Dulce to Bay Islands Honduras

Seems like boats are going up to Belize first then heading out for the Bay Islands if they are concerned. Staying away from the anchorages like the one near Tella is now the thing to do.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 17:57   #3

We will probably be doing this trip and I think we will sail north to Belize so we can get a better angle on the Bay Islands.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 18:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We will probably be doing this trip and I think we will sail north to Belize so we can get a better angle on the Bay Islands.

The check out location is the thing. I think Big Creek, Belize is the best place to use for a trip to Roatan. So painfully you need to spend time in Placencia; pizza, Lion fish ceviche, Lobster taco's, gelato etc etc. Life is tough.
Old 10-08-2016, 19:56   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I used to run from Ranguana to Puerto Cortez to avoid bashing into the Trades (winds back and drop in velocity dramatically along the Honduran coast, more so at night), then along the coast, but would not use that route any more.

The further N and E you can get gives you the best angle on the wind, but too far can get you into contrary currents. Staging out to the atolls works pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470884135263.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	129328   Click image for larger version

Name:	1470884159723.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	129329  

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Billy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:37   #7

Boat: Young 42

I will be making the same voyage in November/December. My plan is to wait outside of Livingston, Guatemala, and when the trades are light and hopefully with a little South in them, tack NE towards Belize if possible, and then angle back down to Roatan. I agree with other comments, and would stay away from the coast of Honduras for a number of reasons.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:10   #8

[QUOTE=belizesailor; Staging out to the atolls works pretty well.[/QUOTE]

Would you say that boats are not checking in and out of Belize first?
Old 11-08-2016, 09:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
I will be making the same voyage in November/December. My plan is to wait outside of Livingston, Guatemala, and when the trades are light and hopefully with a little South in them, tack NE towards Belize if possible, and then angle back down to Roatan. I agree with other comments, and would stay away from the coast of Honduras for a number of reasons.
The winds down in the corner there tend to be light (see image I posted earlier). Leaving from Livingston to Utila direct for example is usually a motor sail all the way (and of course no longer advisable...as it brings you quite close to Punta Sal). You likely need to motor sail well ENE until you get out into some wind and then make for Roatan.

Another strategy is to wait for a frontal passage wind shift (likely in Dec) and then sleigh ride all the way, but these days you will still need to get well NE to stay well off the Honduran coast. My thoughts are that you should at a minimum stay out of visual range based on mast height.

Be cautious anchoring off in Bahia de Amatique or behind Punta Manabique (if thats what you mean by "outside" of Livingston). The bay has its own localized weather patterns which include intense squalls. If you are in the lee of Manabique and these shift the wind westerly, which they tend to, it can get ugly. There are a few protected anchorages around the bay, but they put you further away from rounding at Cabo Tres Puntas (pretty spots with good holding and protection though).

Damn shame, this used to be a nice coast line to visit.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:18   #10

Boat: Young 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Hi Guy,
I sailed directly from Guanaja to Livingston. I have never been to Belize. I have heard that it's rather expensive, clearance and cost of living, and I haven't heard about what others have done. I suppose that unless I planned to stay a week or more exploring Belize, I would sail in that direction from Livingston, but not stop there, and then tack south.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:35   #11

Boat: Boatless

We've made the trip direct from Livingston to Utila motor sailing. No big drama. Has the security situation changed over the years? This was 2005 when we did it.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
We've made the trip direct from Livingston to Utila motor sailing. No big drama. Has the security situation changed over the years? This was 2005 when we did it.
I think the mainland Hondurans are getting hungry. Prosperity is passing them up. It's not hard to get a gun so you can hold people up. The disturbing thing I heard was during the last incident the robbers went nuts and really beat them up. Some sort of old tradition coming back.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Wasnt bad in 2005, but has gotten progessively worse. Cruiser murdered at anchor in Diamante, at least 2 boats I know off boarded and robbed while under way off the coast near Punta Sal...

See Noon Site for more details.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Some do, some dont, but of course Honduras is gonna want papers from your last port.

Ive cleared out in Belize City/Placencia and then staged out to atolls just for a night or two and then on to Honduras. Love it out there anyway. They are not likely to care about a day or two extra, longer likely raise their curiosity. If officials on either end ask..."engine trouble" always seems to work well.
Old 11-08-2016, 15:01   #15

Is this "The Guy" from Vancouver originally?
lookinggoodrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras