Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 05:58   #16

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ

Talking about snarky...
This is what I hate about some questions from the "I'm gunna do this, I need your advice": They haven't done one moment of research themselves and just want to steal our knowledge.

Bingo.
To the OP---Not at present but I happen to have an island FOR SALE in exactly that location. Imagine the commercial possibilities!

Really, a good resource for sailing routes is Jimmy Cornell's book "World Cruising Routes". He gives excellent overall guidelines to commonly traversed routes (including the one's you have mentioned). And then includes recommendations for specific charts for that particular region. Covers details like ocean currents, best time to go, when to avoid little nuisances like Southern Cyclone season, etc. $60 book, can get it online, I got mine at West Marine. It's a fantastic resource, informative and even help's you dream of the day you're actually sailing away.
Old 31-07-2011, 09:48   #17

Re: Panama to Hawaii - What's the Best Route ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago View Post
...the route is clear for me now.
Panama->Galapagos->Marquesas->Hawaii->cook island and then get my way west...any good place for provisioning?
Yeah, like I wrote in post #2. Follow the great circle up the west coast of Central America and Mexico as far as Puerto Vallarta. Contrary to "Uh" svnakia the winds and fun favor this route even though they can be light and variable along the coast. They are great across the Pacific. And Mexico is great. Even good surfing. Going S of the equator is good if you want to go the the S Pacific islands. But it's the long slog to Hawaii. Not downwind and twice across the ITCZ.

Provisioning in MX is 10 times better than Polynesia and 10 times cheaper.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:02   #18

Um, he is here doing research. “Steal your knowledge” - seems a little overly protective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Talking about snarky...
This is what I hate about some questions from the "I'm gunna do this, I need your advice": They haven't done one moment of research themselves and just want to steal our knowledge.

EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:05   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRabbit View Post
Um, he is here doing research. “Steal your knowledge” - seems a little overly protective.

That response is from 2011......
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, Panama, panama