Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2006, 05:03   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I am not sure where we will live, although we are moving our stuff into another house that we have. Ad for this house I am very happy to see it go. We have lived in it like you would live in a hotel room. It was never home. We were here to save money on taxes and we are now able to sell it tax free.
Old 28-04-2006, 05:51   #32

Gunner,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. It's a very good thing that he has you around - there is nothining better than a close family.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 06:48   #33

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sorry Gunner:

Going through a similar thing myself. Dad has cancer and they tried everything that could cure it . Now they are trying everything.

I'm sorry about your Dad. It's hard. I'm not sure I'm doing a good job dealing with it but when it gets too overwhelming I start looking at the good things in my life. Then I think about all the good times my Dad and I have had and try to focus on one particuilar day event and make it real in my mind. I hug the kids and tell them I love them. I kiss my wife and tell her I love her. I pet the dogs and throw a stick for them. (They probably think I'm pycho 'cause one minute I'm upset and yelling at them for a minor infraction the next I'm hugging them and telling them I love them.) Say a "Hail Mary." And try to do the next thing on my never ending list.

You're a good son/man.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 11:22   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The house is SOLD!
Thanl you all for your kind words. At this time my Dad is doing well however we do not know what kind of cancer he has. I would think Monday we will know more. I'm not sure that I am a good son but I do want to do what is best for him. Our plans will have to wait until I know what to expect.
Old 28-04-2006, 12:01   #35

Boat: Sceptre 41
I hope he gets better. Cancer is a bitter fight.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:52   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Everything is on hold. We will not be leaving the great lakes anytime soon. This looks like it will be bad for my Dad although the Doctor said that there MAY be some hope but don't count on it.
Old 09-05-2006, 14:58   #37

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Congratulations on your house! My sympathy to you and your dad.

My house goes on the market on Friday. Hopefully, it will sell, and sell soon & for full price! Unfortunately, even if it does, this will not be an instant ticket to cruise - I still have a lot of work to do: On the boat, on the cruising fund and on my superannuation fund...nevertheless, it will provide a significant injection of cash to the portfolio upon which the cruising fund is based....meaning the date for departure should only be measured in years, not decades!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 16:57   #38

IrwinSailor

We left Michigan in 2003 on a Cal 33 1988 with my mate, a Springer Spainel and a cranky 14 yr Siamese cat. Ended up in Trinidad made it back to the USA 1 year ago yeaterday. Had a great time!! Try to time the races. St. Martin Hienkin, Barts Bucket Cup and Antigua Race Week etc. The islands gear up for these events and a lot more willbe going on at that time. Low season in the Islands are pretty slowwwwwwwwwww

All of it was fun. Erie Canal,Hudson River East Coast as well as the DR and Caribbean. Didn't really fit in with the Bahamas crowd. Thought it was expensive. Great Fishing and clear water though. Suggest you buy ALL your cruising guides and charts before you leave. I was reall spoiled with the well stocked chandlries in Michigan. Suggest Amazon and buy used ones. Things really don't change that much. You typically can't count on many bargains in the way of charts or cruising guides along the way.
We are now in New Bern,NC Boat is up for sale..... clcjr54@hotmail.com
chuck711 is offline   Reply With Quote