Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 23:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

NSW, Australia to Manilla, Phillipines

hi,
am about to deliver a beneteau oceanis up to manilla, was wondering if anyone knows how safe the route is via TI, torres straights, along the png/iran jaya coast around up into indonesia waters coastal along up to bottom of phillipines and up the centre to manilla? what is the situation with rascals, anchoring close to coastlines and piracy, does anyone have a list of suggested anchorages and ports to stop off at for supplies/fuel along the way, is there any bribing to consider or payments to make things easier etc, any info would be greatly appreciated.

regards, skip
sskipryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 02:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: NSW, Australia to Manilla, Phillipines

As an interested observer with thoughts of going that way my observations would suggest that:-
1) Your route would hardly touch PNG. Reports that I have seen suggest that some villages there may rob you blind while others in the same area will be friendly and helpful, though these are from the northern part. Stopping at Daru would be possible. Local knowledge would be essential.
2) The southern coast of Iran Jaya is Indonesia. I have seen only a few reports of cruising that part of New Guinea. None have mentioned problems with the locals. You would, of course, need a CAIT. That area is very isolated and underdeveloped with very few westerners.
3) I forget the link but the Moluccas have put out the welcome mat for visiting yachts. Still need a CAIT.
4) There have been repeated reports of problems round Zamboanga so I would strongly suggest giving that whole area a wide berth. Reports of yachts traveling up the east coast of Mindanao are scant but those that I have seen suggest that Davao is friendly with some facilities. Standing well clear of Mindanao before Davao may be a good idea.
5) Siargao Island has a tourist surfing component and a port and should be friendly. It may be possible to pass to the south of Siargao Island but good large scale charts would be necessary.
6) Once into the Bohol Sea the Philippines is your oyster!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, australia