Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 08:47   #1

Boat: 38' Marine Trader Trawler
Question Newport to Cape May advice local knowledge?

Hi everyone...I'm new to the forum (and forums like this in general) so here goes. My dad and I and our "crew" are planning a trip from Narragansett bay (let's just call it Newport for ease of conversation) to Beaufort, NC. He has sailed parts of this trip before but this time we are taking our 38' trawler and it will be my first trip down the coast. We can't leave until October at the earliest, and my big question (and his) is making the coast of Jersey at this time of year in a power boat rather than a sailboat (also without running at night). We are hoping to do it in 2 segments with the first being from Newport to Cape May, then we have to find a marina to leave it for a couple weeks and return home, then come back and pick up where we left off. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
WitchofE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 10:48   #2

Boat: 38' Marine Trader Trawler
Re: Newport to Cape May advice local knowledge?

Also, it's been pointed out to me and I was aware before I joined that this is mostly a sailboat forum but I'm still definitely interested in any information in regards to weather, time of year, distances, marinas, anchorages, etc which I think are synonymous for motor or sail boaters. I've had trouble finding any good forums that have real information about coastal/off shore travel that aren't largely operated by sailors. Guess that's because you guys really love to travel! I don't know, maybe someone has suggestions on that front too. Like I said, new to this whole thing!
WitchofE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:01   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Just sailed from Newport to Cape May through NYC a couple of weeks ago. Some of the considerations include the current in Long Island Sound and the wind and wave direction off the NJ coast. You don’t say whether you’re going inside or around Montauk.

We sailed from Sandy Pt, NJ to Cape May. Took 17 hours. Planned it so we would arrive early morning in daylight. With a trawler and less depth, you have more options to stop over in NJ inlets, so you can easily break up the trip if you are not planing night voyages. I would try to time the weather to not be out in the ocean during strong north easterlies. The wave action from NE to even SE can be uncomfortable.

Good luck on your voyage.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 13:02   #4

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

You can make it in a day and a half if your going 10knts and go open ocean. As long as you have good weather you'll be fine. Getting into cape may is easy, as long as you have good weather. Once inside don't go under the bridge, go left. You want to tie up at utch's marina, its safe, clean,cheap enough, has all the good stuff (clean bathrooms,showers,laundry,cable tv ect) just follow the channel markers and hug the wood wall when you get in, it gets a little shallow inside.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, newport