Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 19:04   #1

Boat: JJ Taylor Contessa 26
Mexico passengers and crew spreadsheet

Howdy,

I'm trying to get all my online paperwork done for my upcoming Mexico trip and I've hit a snag. Apparently, the process is to go to https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroEmbarques/ and register where they give me a receipt (All good up to here!) and then there's an Excel file I have to fill out and email to the appropriate office.

I can't seem to find that excel file, and all the links I find seem to be broken.

Can someone point me to this file?

Also, while we're here.. I'm a newbie at this, so if you can verify, the process for sailing to Ensenada from California seems to be:
Register at above site, get receipt, fill out form, mail to appropriate INAMI Office, wait for the entry authorization to be emailed to me (This is not the FMM, correct?)
Get TIP online at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/
Get fishing license at sportfishingmexico.com
Show up in Ensenada with above forms, boat documentation, and Passport

Does that seem about right?
matmospheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Mexico passengers and crew spreadsheet

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:28   #3

Thanks, Gord!

I've been lurking here for so long and been a member for so long that I didn't even realize that was my first post! There's always such good info here that I can usually find my answer without making a new thread
Old 05-03-2017, 13:03   #4

I figured it out.

For future people coming across this looking for the answer, as of March 2017, the process and links are:

Register at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroEmbarques/
Save PDF of receipt
Using these instructions:http://www.sportfishinginmexico.com/...enger_list.pdf
Fill out this form (replace example info with your info: http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/Ligas_I...sajeros_EN.xls
eMail the form and PDF receipt to appropriate INAMI Office. Ensenada is BC_ensenada@inami.gob.mx, otherwise look up here: http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/Ligas_I...co_del_INM.pdf
Wait for the entry authorization to be emailed to you.

Get TIP online at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/ it will be mailed to you witihin 10 days.

Get fishing license at sportfishingmexico.com if you have any fishing gear.

Show up in Ensenada with above forms, boat documentation, and Passport.

Somebody please verify or correct if you know!
Old 06-03-2017, 08:37   #5

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmospheric View Post
Get fishing license at sportfishingmexico.com if you have any fishing gear.
The only point I would add is, you must have valid fishing licenses for every person on the vessel if you have ANY fishing gear.
A single license for a single person does not work. Each person must have a license even if he/she has no intention of fishing.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:47   #6

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Go to strictly sail in Richmond next month. They usually have someone from Baja Naval there and they are very helpful with all this kind of stuff. In fact if you have a little work done on your boat there I think they may do it for you.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:26   #7

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Unless they changed it recently, you don't have to stop at Ensenada as long as you have your paperwork. Can go to any check in port (Cabo is the first easy one).

Also, don't remember if you included getting tourist cards (visas) online. In the past it was better to do it separately for each crew member as immigration at some airports require a receipt proving the fee was paid. The fact that you have a stamped valid tourist card doesn't matter to the people in Puerto Vallarta. Myself and other crew have been burned on this several times. Leaving from Cabo is not an issue.

THe info is a bit dated as the last time I was on the west coast of Mexico was in 15 when I left for the Caribbean. Did not have any issues checking into east coast of Mexico coming from the south, even without the pre-done forms.

Enjoy Mexico, it a great place to cruise.
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 16:49   #8

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, How long do you plan to be in Mexico? I live here and I have a 10 yr. "permisso" It's around $200 and with this I have had no issues with anything. When we landed in Mexico with my Irwin we went to the Port Captains office and he told us exactly what we needed to do...For the boat-nothing...show all papers etc, and make copies of everything...have 2-3 sets of copies of all your papers here...I keep all the originals in my house. My friend had to go to immigration and pay $480 Mxn...($25USD) and that was it.
I don't know about the west coast though...The law should be the same but Vive Mexico...I have a friend here who does all this for a small fee if you want to get the Permisso...He took care of all the paperwork and it's so much easier for a Mexican without all the kick back crap a gringo has to deal with.
If you have trouble online you can contact me at: all_as@hotmail.com
Peace...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 15:54   #9

Hello everyone,

So filling out this Excel document for the list of passengers and crew, a couple of questions (this is a private sailboat sailing from Guatemala to the West Coast):

1. What do I put for the SETRAM basic record?

2. What do I put for the cosignee or shipping agency?

3. My USCG Certificate is registered under an LLC, I understand I'll have to have a notarized letter on my company letterhead, does anyone have an example I could use?

4. What is the Sea Record Number?

My God they make this tough, any and all help sincerely appreciated!

Kind regards,

Matt
MattMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:18   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yes you need to stop in ensenada to check into country as ensenada is THE FIRST POSSIBLE PORT OF ENTRY.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 17:03   #11

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

MattMav, you need the power of attorney with an Apostille, Cheapest and quickest is in Austin Texas, Google it, I'm in Mexico and just went through this to move from Tampico to Progreso.
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 17:38   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Several good posts. Easiest way to check into Mexico on the West Coast is to stop at Coral Marina in Ensenada (you must now stop in Ensenada. You can't go directly to Cabo). For about $60 the marina will send someone with you to all the required stops including getting the required Temporary Import Permit (TIP). Just bring your documentation and passports (you will also need insurance certificate for any Mexican marina). You did need a notarized letter if your boat is in Llc and I don't have a copy. You will get FMM visas for the crew, clearance papers and your TIP. I have heard people have had some trouble getting TIP online.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 22:38   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmospheric View Post
...Does that seem about right?
PS: When sailing in Mexico, you may be asked to show proof of Liability Insurance from a Mexican owned company. This coverage will be a separate policy from your regular boat insurance policy, which covers both your hull and P&I liability. (Yes, the Mexican Liability coverage is a duplication of your P&I liability under your marine insurance policy - it's officialdom's way of protecting their local companies.) I've heard that enforcement is somewhat selective, but that the penalties for not having it can be large. If you do want a quote, see the following self-service link: Mexican Liability

¡Buen Viaje!
Old 20-03-2019, 06:56   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

TabbyCat is correct although in my experience YOU WILL be asked to show proof of Liability insurance if you stay in a marina. In my case, my agent got the policy. The link is to the First Timers Guide to Mexico which is an excellent resource.

http://www.baja-haha.com/Guide_Assets/MexFTG-2018.pdf
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 08:20   #15

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Very interesting thread!
I harken back to when I did deliveries for members of the 91 day yacht club from outside the 3 mile limit off both LA and San Diego. No one had to fuss over all this paperwork other than insurance from a Mexican company. No TIP, no documentation except a bill of sale for the vessel fro a previous owner or broker, fishing licenses for all on board which was usually me and one other crew.
The deliveries were made on behalf of absentee owners trying to duck the CA state tax on purchases of big ticket items like boats. If you could prove you bought the vessel outside the state of CA by photos of a GPS, front page of a local newspaper and did not accompany the Paid skipper,(me!) then no tax problem. This was prior to the cruise port being built in Ensenada and the common stops were Marina Coral (just built at the time) or Baja Naval in the inner harbor of Ensenada where I would leave the boat until 90 days had passed, then bring another delivery down and pick up the one I had dropped off 3 months previous. It was a sweet little business and rarely was I out overnight.
Sweet little business but I understand paper work and tax laws have all changed over the years!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, Mexico