Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2010, 12:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Marmaris - Caribbean - Marmaris in Five Months ?

The plan is to leave late November-early December and be back (if at all possible) late May-early June.. The boat is Orana 44 catamaran in very good shape. In addition to standard equipment obviously much will have to be added. (folding props, gen set, new and better set of sails, spinneaker, water maker, extra fuel storage, solar panels, extra batteries, safety gear such as drags, satellite phone, EPIRB, etc)
I haven't done very long passages but sailed extra batteries,quite a bit with this boat in the Med. (Palermo-Marmaris, İstanbul-Marmaris, etc, both in winter..)
I know the toughest part will be the med to be made in December, but I can wait whenever it's necessary, I don't mind motoring when I am below 4 knots of speed under sail and I can handle the boat w/out problem up the 40-45 knots of wind. (which I already did) I can also afford to stay in the marinas if necessary and more convenient.
I will have at least another sailor at least as good as me if not better with me in every step in addition to my wife (limited help is expected )
Many of you will say that it's far too fast and very little time for cruising in the Caraibes, but it's just find with me.

Would appreciate yr comments / thoughts regarding:

-will it be too risky to set sail towards Europe as early as March ? Directly to Azores or via Bermuda ? Which one is riskier ?

-I am particularly concerned of safety. (being boarded, stollen dingy/outboard , excess buraucracy, etc) Any specific spots that I should stay away in Caraibes or on my way in general ?

-My wife is getting seasick. She's willing to do it all the way, but I'd be very surprised basing on my past experience. Does seasickness disappear over time or just get worse ? Any first hand experience ?

Any comment is welcome..
Thx a lot

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 13:48   #2

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
I take it you mean Marmaris in Turkey right? You never know, we may end up going together, i'm planning to leave the Med' at around the same time to goto the Carribean as well! I won't be in such a hurry to get back though.....

I belive the expected sail times from the eastern Med are between 4-6 weeks, but there were many that took longer than that in this years in the ARC race due to weather. If it's bad, you may find yourself turning round as soon as you get there! There's an old saying I heard once though, "a good sailor plans to leave but not to arrive". In other words, don't try to stick to a tight timetable.

As for seasickness, yes, in most cases it does subside as the body becomes used to it. My advise to her is to NEVER go below when shes felling bad. Tell her to keep looking overboard, particularly at a fixed object, coast, ship, horizon, etc. This allows the brain to make sence of the signals comming from the inner ear and will calm things down. It's precisly when your brain can't do this that you feel bad, ie going below to lie down, reading, etc. It's for this very reason that you'll NEVER hear of a driver getting travel sick. Why? Because as the driver, they are always looking out at the world around them. Meanwhile, a passenger with their head buried in a book or computer game, will feel worse.

As you've got a Cat, this is easier because she can stay in the main saloon and look out of the windows, not so easy in a monhull.
Old 31-12-2010, 12:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
I've seen yr boat , she's lovely. Loved yr dog too..

Can you make it to the Caribean with a motoryacht ??
If you can, how can I cope with yr speed.. )

Back to subject, the most challenging part of the plan is the passage from Bahama's to Azores which is a bit early than the usual..And I would like to get some info/suggestion from experienced sailors.
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 18:25   #4

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
No, i'll (hopefully) be under sail by then. Thats why i'm selling my present vessel, so I can go further afield.

Tags
Caribbean