Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2013, 03:46   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Marco Island to......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I think the tow boat thing was a little tongue in cheek humor.
Yes I think you are right. BO has outgrown his training wheels by now, I believe.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 04:50   #17

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Yeah, the towboastUS thing was bit of humor. I have looked at all directions, and I have heard so many talk about the good and bad of the little shark river that it has got me curious now to take a look-see for myself. Been here in Marco looking to sell the boat, had a couple of tire kickers, and one guy coming down here from Missouri tomorrow to take a look. He called me and asked if I could wait a couple more days so he could see the boat, which I said was cool, as I have enjoyed the company and friendship of Rocketman these past days, and Marco is a nice place to be at this point. Though I must admit, I am getting anxious to keep going south to experience new places, and see some clear water. I have been going over the charts, planning out my route to shark river, though I am not looking forward to dodging crab/lobster pots...again!
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 04:55   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Blackoak if u head south to the keys from little shark you can stay just SE of the boundary line and there are no crab traps all the way down to near. Where the route 5 channel splits left and right. Go 10 ft outside the line its crap pot city. You got my nmbr. Gimme a shout if you need to.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:19   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Yeah, the towboastUS thing was bit of humor. I have looked at all directions, and I have heard so many talk about the good and bad of the little shark river that it has got me curious now to take a look-see for myself. Been here in Marco looking to sell the boat, had a couple of tire kickers, and one guy coming down here from Missouri tomorrow to take a look. He called me and asked if I could wait a couple more days so he could see the boat, which I said was cool, as I have enjoyed the company and friendship of Rocketman these past days, and Marco is a nice place to be at this point. Though I must admit, I am getting anxious to keep going south to experience new places, and see some clear water. I have been going over the charts, planning out my route to shark river, though I am not looking forward to dodging crab/lobster pots...again!
If you pass through Marathon send me a PM. If I can be of some help?
Alec
Old 15-01-2013, 12:21   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Blackoak if u head south to the keys from little shark you can stay just SE of the boundary line and there are no crab traps all the way down to near. Where the route 5 channel splits left and right. Go 10 ft outside the line its crap pot city. You got my nmbr. Gimme a shout if you need to.
Good to know! Thanks! Here in Marathon it's like a mine field!!
Old 15-01-2013, 13:56   #21

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
The Yacht Channel is a somewhat tough route in a 5'+ draft.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 21:26   #22

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Quote:
Cant decide which way to do this......

Marco Island to Marathon along the coast road, then make KW and Dry Tortugas.

Decision Decision..either way I'm ready to make a hop somewhere south, and I have already arranged for a TowBoatUS boat to follow me.

I will be leaving here either tomorrow or Monday, wont leave on the 13th, dont need the extra badluck
I vote the "No Pain, No Strain" route along the Ten Thousand Islands. Besides... what's your hurry?? you're already here!
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 16:03   #23

The boat didnt sell in Marco Island, just tire kickers, but met a nice couple who liked the boat, but didnt like the draft, they wanted a smaller boat and a shallower draft, so its off to Marathon, in the next weather window. Blowing up pretty good here in Marco Island right now.
Old 17-01-2013, 17:30   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 42

By Sunday Am you should have pretty good winds for a run south. Leave at sunrise to get out of the channel with the sun behind you and you'll have an easy run to the Little Shark or even Smith Shoal/Key West if you choose to go that way. Check out PassageWeather.com for the latest forecast.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 17:44   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The boat didnt sell in Marco Island, just tire kickers, but met a nice couple who liked the boat, but didnt like the draft, they wanted a smaller boat and a shallower draft, so its off to Marathon, in the next weather window. Blowing up pretty good here in Marco Island right now.
Get me a PM if you need something in Marathon.
Alec
Old 17-01-2013, 18:02   #26

Will do! The wind moved some boats around in Factory Bay today, one boat belonged to a couple we were sharing lunch with today, it almost got into the sea wall, it was a close call. They are heading to Islamorada, so I might tag along for a spell with them, depends on when they are leaving. Im ready to go. Rocketman took some time out today to give me a hand getting to the fuel dock, and showed me how to use the pump-out thingy. So I am full of fuel, water, and minus a load of sailor droppings. My cell phone took a swim today without me while at the fuel dock. Its ALWAYS something messing around in boats isnt it!!
Old 17-01-2013, 18:24   #27

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

It was a "three phone year" for me in 2012.

Hope to do better this year.

Best of luck on your next leg, I've enjoyed your story.
Old 17-01-2013, 18:45   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
It was a "three phone year" for me in 2012.

Hope to do better this year.

Best of luck on your next leg, I've enjoyed your story.
I don't even count them anymore... :-)
Old 17-01-2013, 19:25   #29

i think he meant that boat us would check in with him, but it is my understanding that on your way to the Dry T from Key West or Marco you loose cell and vhf, how about satilite phones?
Revolution Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 00:22   #30

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
My cell phone took a swim today
Ziploc is your friend. If you have the old fashioned push button type cel, you can use it without taking it out of the bag. Touch screen type, maybe yes maybe no. Leave a little air in the bag and it will float if you drop it.

Knokc on wood, but I never lost a celphone overboard yet.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc