Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 21:30   #1

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Lady Musgrave island

Hi guys

Have taken an extra day off this long weekend to head out to lady Musgrave island for the first time in our new to us boat. Problem is the bloody wind seems to be sticking around the 20kt mark for Saturday and Sunday. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of how much swell or chop comes over the reef at the high tide? We are 50ft and 25 tonne so can handle a fair bit of chop but still don't want to be boat bound the whole time we are there. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 22:22   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Lady Musgrave island

Never had any issues. Can't recall the exact height of weather reef as its been 30 years now but used monohull charter boats all the time in the Lagoon.

If it was too bad(low) it would likely erode the cay which it doesn't.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 22:25   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The bounce will be worst at high tide. Look up the tide times and plan around it. Tomorrow morning is the full moon, so the high will be high.

The real answer has to do with you guys' tolerance for the motion, and everyone is different. For us with our boat, we'd be fine at 20-25, but we displace only about 10 tons.
YMMV. I would think your boat would be fine, but the dinghy trip ashore might be a bit wet.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 01-06-2015, 22:50   #4

Boat: Corsair f28r

Matty, you will be fine, try to come in the flood tide and once you are around the leads there is a large coral outcrop submerged 100m south of last lead, so have someone one the nose. The lagoon is very protected and a real beautiful place to spend a couple of days/week. Seas get very nasty (ten Mile from island)in 20-25knts if you are beam on and coming/going to Seventeen Seventy . Enjoy this wonderland.
Cheers
Tony
ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 22:56   #5

Thanks for the info all, gives me a bit more confidence. We have a pretty high threshold for lumpy anchorages but as we only have 2 full days in the lagoon I would hate to be boat bound. Hanging to get some diving and fishing done. We are in Gladstone and looks like an easterly for Monday so will have the wind behind us. Hopefully that part of the forecast stays the same

Old 01-06-2015, 23:04   #6

Boat: Corsair f28r

Matt what pen are you in, also in Gladstone and will be at marina tomorrow if you would like any more info
Tony
ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 23:10   #7

Hi Tony

I have my boat on the poles in Auckland creek. SV Iron Will. Are you passing through or there permanently. I have to be in Rockhampton tomorrow but will be back in town around 5 ish so might swing by on the away through if you are around.

Old 01-06-2015, 23:37   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

This might help. Just by chance, I watched a youtube video over the weekend about a fellow in a trailer sailor that sailed along the coast a year or two back and he posted a video (one of many) on his trip to and stay at Lady Musgrave in similar conditions.

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 23:55   #9

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Anyone got a useful mud map and or GPS marks for Lady Musgrave Is?

stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 00:18   #10

Alan Lucas cruising guide has good mud maps. Thanks for the vid. If that's as bad as it is when we are there then it will be happy days we cruised WA Coast for a year last year and 20 knots was the average and some pretty miserable anchorages. I guess this will be a lot better!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:16   #11

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Seeing you are based in Gladstone take the opportunity to cruise the whole of the Capricorn bunker group islands/reefs.

Plenty of good anchorages for 25kn winds though much nicer for diving when calmer.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:30   #12

That's the plan down under. It makes it hard when it takes a few hours just to get out of the channel and you have work and a 4 month old. Thinking about moving to yeppoon and living aboard again. If you have some alternate recommendations for this weekend don't hold back. Am open at the moment, just want to get back out there. The boyne tannum fishing comp is on this weekend so local reef and rivers will be packed

Old 02-06-2015, 02:40   #13

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

We were there in our 45ft cat in up to 25-30 knots,comes over the reef a bit at high tide but was fine for us.
There were manta rays swimming around the outside of the reef which made for great snorkelling.
Amazing place.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:45   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Another post in agreement with the others expressed.
I.E. No worries mate.

OK, I haven't been to LM for 30 years I guess but have anchored there for many days in 20 to 25 Kts in a 30 footer way back then.

FWIW, nearby Fitzroy Reef is a bit lumpier in the same weather but still quite doable (and high tide only lasts a few hours twice a day ).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:10   #15

Pity - you missed a great weekend just gone. We had 'show day' holiday Thursday so we planned on a long weeknd at Musgrave. Decided to hit the Sandy Straits instead (we're in Bundy) as the three kids couldn't swim all day (as is the norm on summer musgrave trips) in this weather so we needed good beaches for them to get off-boat on. The weather would have been perfect out there.

As an alternative (due to wind) have you considered Pancake crk - will be nice and protected in those predicted conditions. Not quite 'Lady Musgrave awesome' - but a very pleasant place to while away a weekend - and close to Gladstone - if you don't feel like going off-shore.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote