Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 13:04   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Is Europe worth it?

"Since we are a large family we just can't fly off somewhere and than clear back in."

actually,with companies like ryan air,flybe,wiz air,last minute cot com etc
flying between major hubs is not at all expensive,quite often the taxi to the airport costs more than a 1000-2000 mile flight in europe these days!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 13:08   #17

Boat: none yet :(

Most was said previously so yes, it is definitely worth it. Also, you have Montenegro, Albania and Turkey if you need to get out of/ back in to Schengen. For me safety was a non-issue everywhere I went. Much better feeling when you don't have to worry that some armed youngsters will board your boat in the middle of the night.

I was also intrigued by the comments about the Baltic. Could somebody recommend posts/websites/blogs where I can read more especially practical experiences?
Thanks!
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 13:14   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
Most was said previously so yes, it is definitely worth it. Also, you have Montenegro, Albania and Turkey if you need to get out of/ back in to Schengen. For me safety was a non-issue everywhere I went. Much better feeling when you don't have to worry that some armed youngsters will board your boat in the middle of the night.

I was also intrigued by the comments about the Baltic. Could somebody recommend posts/websites/blogs where I can read more especially practical experiences?
Thanks!
Kissen, The Baltic Cruise
Old 19-11-2013, 13:20   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

here is another good one for the french inland waterways

Canal and River Routes Through France | Aboard in France
Old 19-11-2013, 13:48   #20

Boat: Heritage 35

Just received an email regarding a cruise from Tromso Norway to Ark Angel and return to Tromso for summer 2014. I think if you google North Cruise 2014 you should be able to get the information if not email me and I can foreward my contacts info. We're going to the North of Norway anyway and this looked and sounds like a bonus!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 14:38   #21
cruiser

Europe is wonderful to see especially the Med. You WILL have visa issues if you are a non-EU resident. The visa issues as full time liveaboards will be your biggest obstacle. I only stay for 90 days per visit, and contrary to what others say on forums, the officials DO check your passports and the VAT status of your boat. Maybe in the future, I may try to obtain a one year Spanish tourist visa if we decide to stay longer. But for right now... It's 90 days in the EU then 90 days outside the EU.

You can clear the boat to Turkey or Gibraltar for a day, then return to reset your EU 18 month clock, but this doesn't work with people. If I was you, I'd plan on spending much of my time in Turkey or thereabouts, where visa issues between the EU and outside countries etc might be easier... Plus, everyone seems to really love cruising in Turkey.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 23:21   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post

Thanks!
Nick Hill has a very good website and he is extremely helpful regarding questions - just fire him an e-mail.
Channel Guide

If you (or anyone else) decide to come, drop me a note. In my real life I am the Cruising consultant for the Danish Sailing Association. I can help with lots of information, contacts, routes , electronic harbor pilots etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 23:34   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Old 19-11-2013, 23:52   #24

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We have found Turkey to be a fabulous place for longer term cruising. The history is amazing; so many ancient sites to visit either on tours on on your own. Very easy to obtain 4-yr residency permits. Caveat is that you will need a marina for 5-6 months for winter season and those are not inexpensive. We found a 'deal' for 2,000 Euro plus metered electricity at 40 Euro cents per kwh, which adds up quickly when the only heating system on the boat is electric.

Other than in Turkey, the stress of attempting to meet the Schengen requirements of 90-in/90-out, or 90 days within any 180 day period, is too stressful. It seems only non-EU people understand just how difficult Schengen makes cruising the Med today. The Med is a big area and it is darn near impossible to follow this law considering the winter non-sailing season. We have been in Turkey and Cyprus since April 2011, with 87 days in Greece. Because it is so easy to stay longer term in Turkey and so very much history to absorb.

Next summer we move on to Croatia and Italy; fly back to the USA for 90 days minimum to adhere to Schengen rules and get through another winter non-sailing season; then will move westward as quickly as required to get into Gibraltar/Morocco to again meet Schengen rules. Looking forward very much to again sailing the Caribbean where there are no problems with visa rules.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 01:08   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440

Yes there's lots of enjoyment here, Aussies we are BUT we are lucky in holding dual citizenship Aust/English so 90/90 doesn't apply in Schengen, 180 for the boat does but a visit to non-schengen cures that issue.

If your parents were from UK then getting the passport is GOLD.

Agree with Judy Turkey is fantastic.

We overstayed in Croatia as they have only a 90 day visa we were each find $50:00.

Cheers
Old 20-11-2013, 02:13   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
quite correct! and lots of lovely marinas and inlets to tie up in though heating and a well insulated boat is a must if visiting outside of the fantastic summer months.
I will second this, lots of lovely quaint stone harbours with no tides makes it all delightfully simple. There is a very slight current in a sort of clock wise direction but only 1/4rd of a knot or so which a diver could easily swim against. Temperatures in the summer very pleasant and often a nice wind builds during the day for sailing and then dies out at night time as the European land mass cools, perfect. However, winters bitter and personally I would want to be further SW.

If you're crossing the pond I would aim at Southern Ireland, then north to the Scottish Western Isles and through the Caledonian Canal to see the Loch Ness monster. The Scottish Highlands are one of Europes least populated areas so great for getting away from it all. Perhaps stop in a Scottish marina for the winter, East or West coasts.

Across to the Baltic for the summer and then winter in the Netherlands, lots of inland saltwater meers to sail on. Also great railways to explore Europe from London to Berlin. Next spring across to the English South Coast and on to the Channel Islands South to France and Brittany. Then down to the Spanish Rias for the next winter. This would be quite leisurely trip and an easy plan to change if you fancied somewhere else.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 03:30   #27

Wow! Thanks again for all the helpful information!!
I think we will need to figure out visa stuff. It is a shame they make it so difficult.
I will be busy looking through all the different links.
Thanks again.
Just out of curiosity why do you have to Winter in a marina in Turkey? Are there no long term anchorages or moorings?
Unfortunately the closest European family was a Finnish grandmother.
jozamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 03:33   #28

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

well i had no probs with the schengen this yr spent 123 days in greece and yes europe is worth it for me i would stay away from main Islands the smaller Islands have a lot more to offer
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 03:37   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozamom View Post
Wow! Thanks again for all the helpful information!!
I think we will need to figure out visa stuff. It is a shame they make it so difficult.
I will be busy looking through all the different links.
Thanks again.
Just out of curiosity why do you have to Winter in a marina in Turkey? Are there no long term anchorages or moorings?
Unfortunately the closest European family was a Finnish grandmother.
you can winter in the water in turkey,but it can get pretty miserable!
cold and wet,with snow on the nearby mountains.

they also get some serious storms coming through,so a lot of the popular summer anchorages become dangerous lee shores with winds from the east and south,that are otherwise protected from the prevailing NW winds of summer.
Old 20-11-2013, 03:50   #30

You can get into a nice marina with many other real cruisers who are wintering there for about 200 Euro a month. Takes away the concern of winter storms and also gives you lots of company with like minded people.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope