Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 16:44   #16

Re: Has anyone done this route to the Bahamas?

Thanks guys. Got some good ideas I hadn't thought of. Plan is to leave Wilmington first weather window with after 11/1. Will head south just west of the Gulf Stream. If and when the winds drop down to less than 10 kts, or veer to the SE-W, I will make the crossing at that point. Probably need to let the seas die down for 24 hours. Once across the Gulf Stream I will head for the NW corner of the Little Bahamas Banks and enter there and probably head to Great Sale Cay.

If I don't get a weather window to cross I will pull in at Ft. Pierce or other inlet and wait for a crossing opportunity.

If any of you get to the Bahamas and see me, stop by for a cold one. I owe you.
svhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 17:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by svhighlander View Post
Thanks guys. Got some good ideas I hadn't thought of. Plan is to leave Wilmington first weather window with after 11/1. Will head south just west of the Gulf Stream. If and when the winds drop down to less than 10 kts, or veer to the SE-W, I will make the crossing at that point. Probably need to let the seas die down for 24 hours. Once across the Gulf Stream I will head for the NW corner of the Little Bahamas Banks and enter there and probably head to Great Sale Cay.

If I don't get a weather window to cross I will pull in at Ft. Pierce or other inlet and wait for a crossing opportunity.

If any of you get to the Bahamas and see me, stop by for a cold one. I owe you.
If all goes well might make it Nov. Plan B, Chicken Harbor in Feb. Where you headed from the Abacos.

By the way, sounds like a good plan to me.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:24   #18

Boat: Freedom 32

My only experience is at Fort Pierce. I recommend it
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:57   #19

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

You pays your money, you take your chances. If it was too easy EVERYONE would do it!

jewt
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:17   #20

From Cape Canaveral you will be bucking the Gulf Stream a long time. The advantage of going way south is avoiding that, as well as spending minimal time in the stream if the NE wind is blowing against it. There's usually a reason "most people..." Biscayne is great because it's a straight shot across perpendicular to the GS.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 13:23   #21

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

If we get back together by late Nov/Early Dec. we will be there also.

jewt

S/V Bifrost
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 17:58   #22

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

I would suggest that 'wait 24 hrs.' for the seas to die down be maybe more based on the conditions and recent weather history. Several years ago we were crossing from Lake Worth, it took almost two weeks for northeast swell to die down due to several low pressure systems that crossed the upper atlantic. And the wind, forecast to becoming from the SE, only clocked down to East. NOAA forcast 10-15 with 4' seas. The reality was 25-35 with 6-8 to 10' ft. and we were not even in the GS yet, we turned around and waited. With the wind on the nose. This would have doubled the crossing time and would have quite uncomfortable, be flexible..fair winds.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 13:35   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36

Two things:

1. Weather Window: you can get very fine weather and departure guidance from Chris Parker (MWXC). For a modest charge, he will personalize a plan built around your preferred float time, advising you to go or wait a bit, with five days of routing from the actual departure including where to enter the stream, what headings to adopt, waypoints to pick-up (or avoid) backloops East of the Stream (a straight line is not the quickest/easiest route to Abaco). Nothing you can't do yourself if you have the background and experience, but using Chris pretty well eliminates the guesswork around weather windows. And if you have either SSB or email underway, you can continue to consult him throughout the passage. Can't recommend MWXC highly enough.

2. Rages: If there's any question about rages, the cut just north of Man o' War is almost always clear and easy. The cozy harbor at MoW should be on your Abaco itinerary, anyway. And Marsh Harbor is just across the bay. Then, if you want to visit anchorages farther North, it's easy to cross the Whale at a time of your choosing. Or start South, inside or outside.

FW&FS, and all that.
Time Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 13:54   #24
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjn59 View Post
I would suggest that 'wait 24 hrs.' for the seas to die down be maybe more based on the conditions and recent weather history. Several years ago we were crossing from Lake Worth, it took almost two weeks for northeast swell to die down due to several low pressure systems that crossed the upper atlantic. And the wind, forecast to becoming from the SE, only clocked down to East. NOAA forcast 10-15 with 4' seas. The reality was 25-35 with 6-8 to 10' ft. and we were not even in the GS yet, we turned around and waited. With the wind on the nose. This would have doubled the crossing time and would have quite uncomfortable, be flexible..fair winds.
I have left Ft Worth and Ft Lauderdale in that type of forecast too. I have run into the same nasty headwind and seas as you did - for 3 or 4 miles out. Then we found the predicted and more pleasant conditions.

Not saying it would have been the same for you back when you encountered those rough seas.

I have also suddenly been thrust in the wash machine for the last 3 miles approaching Port Everglades after a nice beam reach.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:35   #25

Ok...so who is Chris Parker i m suppose to be listening to?
dunstonwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:16   #26

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Chris Parker is a weather forecaster/router who lives in Florida and provides detailed (and accurate) weather forecasts for boaters via SSB on a daily basis. I wouldn't go to the Bahamas without a subscription with him. You can get on the net on the SSB every morning and he will give you a specific weather forecast for your exact location and suggest when it will be better or worse for you to move to wherever you want to go. His service is worth every penny.
https://www.mwxc.com/
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, route