Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2009, 09:05   #1
EMB

Grenadines vs BVI

We have gone on a few crewed charters in the BVI in the past and we considering trying the Grenadines next year. Has anyone sailed in both locations? What are the pro's/con's of the Grenadines?

Thanks for your help! I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra hassle of traveling there.
EMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 09:13   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
A bit more open water sailing in the Grenadines. Provisioning not as good as BVI. Maybe a bit less crowded in the Grenadines. They're both great spots.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:57   #3

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Grenadines are OK but I would suggest considering chartering in or around St Marrten. St martin has both a dutch and French side and lots to do and see. The provisioning is very good and there are restaurants galore. There are several nice anchorages around the island. Then you can cruise over to Anagada and St Barts. This is one of the best couple weeks we have spent in the Caribbean.

Another destination that I would choose over Grenadines if you like the nature side of things is Antigua, Barbuda and Nevis. Barbuda is amazing for beautiful sandy beaches, amazing frigate bird colony and the coral reefs are some of the best we have seen in the Caribbean. Antigua has some great spots up north in the sound. Horizen Yacht Charters is in Jolly Harbour ANtigua.

I would rate both of the above cruises better than grenadines for alot of reasons.
Old 13-07-2009, 10:06   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Vasco is correct. Treat it as the next step in understanding what cruising is all about! There are fewer mooring fields but the anchorages are great, you'll be by yourself at some of the remote anchorages. Bequia is a great place to visit and there is nowhere in the Caribbean the comes close to the pristine Tobago Cays.
Great sailing and alot more tropicial.
John.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:16   #5

Boat: temporarily boatless...
there's a lot of interesting and relevant information in this recent thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...bvi-27983.html
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 11:44   #6

Boat: Boatless
Grenadines are lovely, more challenging and the charter companies less restrictive. We are cruising in the Caribbean and plan to spend a great deal of time in the Grenadines and give the BVI a miss having been there 4 times already.
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 14:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See
The Usual Suspects -* Destination: The Grenadines

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 14:52   #8

hmmm... I loved St Martin, but to me it's more of a tourist destination for sure than the Grenadines. I depends on whether you want restaurants, nude beaches etc or more natural spaces really.........
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 15:54   #9

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 - Appleseeds
Grenadines...hands down

We have been cruising in that area for the past two years and it is wonderful for sailing and exploring. It is way less crowded than BVI but has fewer amenities. The sailing is more open with bigger seas and the anchorages have few mooring balls (you often need to anchor). There are boat boys but generally not as troublesome as some of the other areas. BVI has none. The snorkling at Tobago Cays is fantastic, Bequia is sweet, fishing is good...wouldn't miss it!
Peter
Cruise-along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 16:02   #10

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Cheechako, When were you in St Martin?
When I was thru there last spring, the bridge toll and fees to stay in Simpson Bay and Lagoon had been raised so high that there were empty slips in all if the marinas and everybody was anchoring on the French side. Resturants were closing at an alarming rate, Shrimpy's had lost their lease. The fee structure for Margot Bay on the French side had been raised to the point that nobody stayed longer than a day.
In St Barth's I paid $35US a day to anchor outside, and they do patrol. Last year in St Barth's, I had a lunch of a salad, two beers, and two scoops of ice cream and paid $52US.
Mega-yachts were boycotting Antigua over thier new fee structure.
I would recommend the Grenadines.
John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 18:03   #11
EMB

Thanks for all the great information!

Wow, I am impressed by all the great info in such a short time! Thanks to all of you!
EMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 20:05   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Keegan, did you mean Anguilla?

My son's trip to St. Marten and St. Bart's was greatly enhanced by the beach scenery. Snorkling was so-so. I've heard the Grenadines and specifically the tobago keys are the place to go for snorkeling.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 21:23   #13

Boat: Tashiba 36
I understand there are high daily fees to cruise the BVI's now unless you are registered there. Is this correct?
sparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 01:54   #14

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
Keegan, did you mean Anguilla?

My son's trip to St. Marten and St. Bart's was greatly enhanced by the beach scenery. Snorkling was so-so. I've heard the Grenadines and specifically the tobago keys are the place to go for snorkeling.
Yes, I meant Anguilla.

The grenadines has good snorkeling but it is not what it used to be. The reefs in Tobago Cays are not looking healthy. I love certain things about the Grenadines but there are so many choices on where one can charter.
Old 14-07-2009, 03:06   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I can't compare to BVI, but the Grenadines are great! Rather wild and unspoiled and uncrowded compared to the rest of the Caribbean. Great sailing and beautiful anchorages and marvelous snorkeling. There are no interesting towns, so if you like to spend time ashore in towns going to restaurants and so forth, forget about it. But for nature, it's fantastic.

The Grenadines, probably like the rest of the Caribbean, are especially good in the off season (the summer). You'll get more rain (and risk of hurricanes), but you'll also get more wind, and it is far less crowded.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands, St Vincent and Grenadines