Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2009, 04:32   #16

Grenadines v VI's

I have just spent the last 4 months in the caribbean and have just sailed back to the UK. I would much prefer the Grenadines to the Virgin Islands. The VI's are very touristy, the people are pretty rude and everywhere is vastly expensive. There is great sailing in both locations.
jhalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 14:52   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Of the 9 cruises we've taken, The Admiral liked the Grenadines the best. Me too.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 15:08   #18

Cheechako, When were you in St Martin? I was anchored on the French Side and also in the Lagoon (entered the lagoon on the Dutch side). It's been a few years, your info is disappointing for sure.... It was pretty reasonable when I was there. Coffee and pastries in the morning and Baguettes , Pate' and red wine at night....
I bought a new 9 ft RIB there and other things, hopefully everyone will not buy anything there for a while...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 17:15   #19

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
Chartered in the BVI's twice and most recently in the Grenadines. I'd go back to the Grenadines in a heartbeat. Loved the diving. Provisioning is more scarce but load up at the beginning and you will not have a problem. Not as crowded as the BVI's. Have to plan your water conservation/fill-ups better than in the BVI's. Loved Mustique Island. I will go back someday!
MoonlightSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 18:33   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Pro - they are far from BVI,
Con - they are like BVI,

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 15:11   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty View Post
I understand there are high daily fees to cruise the BVI's now unless you are registered there. Is this correct?
- - No. The BVI's are the "cheap" place to bring your own boat for a month. It cost me in March 2009 - US$22 for a month with two people on board.
- - St Maarten - Dutch side is astronomically expensive by comparison. The French side matched their rates but recently has effectively gone back to their old system as they realized all the boats left or were not stopping anymore. Business men get real pissed when governments chase off their customers.
- - For the "second" cruising experience bareboating - I would strongly recommend the Grenadines. There are massive charter bases in Blue Lagoon, St. Vincent and also The Moorings has a major base in Canouan. There are also charter outfits in Grenada. The Grenadines are shared by St. Vincent and Grenada. Grenada has the southern island - Carriacou and Petite Martinique and few smaller ones. Everything north of that is St. Vincent & the Grenadines (SVG). Starting either south at the Moorings base or north at Blue Lagoon it would be difficult to see all of it in a single week bareboat charter. The link to Bequia shows (I have been there many times) that there is enough to do there for a week all by itself. The Tobago Cays can suck up a week along with Mayreau and Union Island and my favorite Petite St Vincent (PSV). There is some serious good snorkeling there.
- - Then you can cross over to Grenadian waters and Petite Martinique, Carriacou and Ronde Island. The main island of Grenada is a bit far unless you are chartering out of there. Sssh, don't tell anyone but there is world class diving off the southeast end of Carriacou. Totally virgin waters and reefs and walls. It stays that way because few people know about it.
- - So I would seriously suggest the Grenadines for a "flip side" experience from the Virgins. Very little population and unspoiled islands and seclusion from the frantic pace of "doing the Virgins."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 12:12   #22

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I've never cruised in either place but I've been to both, and greatly prefer the unspoiled ambiance of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Bequia may be my favorite island in the entire Carribean, and if you want fancy there is always Moustique. In contrast, the Dutch side of St. Martin is like Las Vegas, although the French side has the best restaurants in the Carribean IMHO.

Plus there are very few hurricanes in the Grenadines. Most of them pass to the north.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 13:09   #23

Boat: charterskipper
Hi and hello to all here,

Pretty new here, but amazing forum, lotz of info....
Now we're leaving in about six weeks for a month sailing in the Martinique-Grenada area, and i spent already a hughe time on planning and reading stuff over the Grenadines, thanks to the Cruising Guide to the Windwards islands, by Chris Doyle..a must for everybody who's goes there cruising....

But the thing is and i hope you folks here can give me an straight answer is, what's yours experience with the safety issues there in the grenadines?

On the online SecurityNet for the Caribean, one speaks about piracy, robbery, armed assaults, pitty thefts,on anchoring yachts !

Do you guys have experiences with that, or some helpfull tips plse...
I'll know that the Saint Vincent area, are becoming a real problem to cruisers and a lot of chatercompanies give the advice to avoid the entire island (especially the Chateaubellair region) ( even the islands prime minister has spoken his concerns about the safety issue for cruising yachts and losing a lot of incomes from this branch)

So all information is more than greatfull,

Godspeed to all,

Peter

( Belgium)
freeparaglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 14:59   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Security problems in the Caribbean is now almost homogeneous though out the various islands - they all have security problems for visiting yachts. Some places take more interest in trying to keep it under control as they have realized that scaring off the cruisers/tourists means no jobs. Other islands just don't care and have the attitude that like P.T. Barnum said, there is a new sucker born every minute - so why bother worrying if people never come back, there are plenty on the way who don't know about the security problems. The main island of St Vincent seems to be in the later category while Dominica is in the first.
- - Otherwise, each place has had problem times and no-problem times somewhat evenly. It seems the "hungry lion" principle controls as when the bad guys are hungry they go "hunting" for opportunities to hit cruisers, but, after a successful "hunt" things calm down and everything is nice - until they get hungry again.
- - Portsmouth in Dominica is a "don't miss" place with excellent security provided in the anchorage along the north end of the bay.
- - Marigot in St. Lucia is a favorite of mine and also small enough to be very reasonably secure.
- - Bequia has had problems if you anchor too far away from the head of the bay. But I always anchor or take a mooring up close and personal to the little town and never have a problem.
- - Generally the only "new" wrinkle in security is now to be sure to anchor in the "herd" of boats and not go off to some lonely secluded area with nobody around you. Especially if there is a village or area of houses and fishing boats along the shore. Stay away from those. Like the wilderbeast in Africa, stay in the middle of the herd and you will greatly reduce the chances of being picked off by any "hungry lions."
- - Lastly, common sense and "street-wise" attitudes about never leaving the boat unlocked or hatches open or stuff drying out on deck. Put valuables in a secure hidden place inside the cabin rather than leaving them spread all over the place like a teenagers bedroom. Make sure you know your neighbor boats and if possible travel in company not so much for underway security but for establishing an anchorage where everybody watches each others boats and can provide some sort of assistance. Just take common sense precautions and actions and then you will have lots of great times in "paradise."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands, St Vincent and Grenadines