Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:38   #31

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Does Rosetta make a course to learn Canandian, eh?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
No. 99% of the chit chat on the vhf is inane conversation.
remember, everyone does not own a vhf radio. there is no law says you have to have one is there?
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:59   #33

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Fun in the sun

The USA is a very large country with enormous cultural variation. Our dear friends from any part of Canada should always be welcome in the USA. Unfortunately Florida is in the south and if your looking to get warm that is where you need to go. Speaking French anywhere south of Annapolis could result in a less than friendly reception depending on who you meet.

The antipathy is directed at France itself and most southerners who would worry about such things forget that a native french speaker could be from Quebec or New Orleans!

As for tipping? The best way to deal with that is the way I recently delt with an noxious event when sharing a cab. There was a dispute about the split of the fare. I gave the cabby a huge tip which had the effect of severly embarassing a certain slime bag in the back seat. It was worth the extra cost just to see the cheap scumbag squirm. So tip large and hold the high ground.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 11:32   #34

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
So, that's how I get out of tipping, Fly a Maple Leaf! Blame it on the Canucks!
Old 30-11-2010, 12:18   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy2012 View Post
remember, everyone does not own a vhf radio. there is no law says you have to have one is there?
according to the annual inspection required in this bay for keeping of a moored vessel, YES there IS a requirement that there be a vhf on board. i get out of it on my ericson as it is not installed--just there--and i bring a hand held as well......seems you MUST be ale to hear when someone needs to contact ye about safety issues. like--YER GONNA HIT A TUG!!!! or some such nonesense.\
and here in sd, we have some very very rude non americans from north if us as tenants-- they like to bully folks-- go figger--- he is also defrauding ssdi with claims despite his not being disabled--not even a citizen..
and , in NOLA. you can tell they are from NO because of accent. go figger. i didnt have a problem identifying cajuns and native NO folks from canucks. is realllly easy to differentiate.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 12:35   #36

Boat: O'Day 28
I spend a lot of time in Fl and the story is that happiness for a Floridian is a New Yorker going home with a Canadian under each arm.

My own experience is at "my" dive shop here on the banks we get many Canadians (and New Yorkers) back year after year. In spite of their reputation, the Canucks, and I might mention particularly, the Les Diables des Mer group, are great folks, always work at speaking English rather than French to us, and always tip the captains/crew appropriately.

Plus, the Canadians have ice skater Jaime Sale and we don't. 'nuff said?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jsale.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	21581  
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 12:37   #37

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy2012 View Post
If you own a boat you should have a VHF,, if you can not afford one you can not afford the boat,,,,, cellphones have a way of getting wet and going out of range,,

what I fould funny is the day i towed a 125000 dollar speed boat with my jetski on long island sound because he ran out of fuel 1000 feet from the fuel dock and had no way of contacting anybody as his cellphone get wet,,,

i should have left him there as his attitude was he did not need a vhf radio in long island sound
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 12:43   #38

most canadians i met in my life have been lovely folks-is just a new crop of oldsters feel they are owed something by this country for some reason...
not having a vhf on board is reckless boating as far as i can see---need to be able to get the messages sent over the air so ye know what is in your way or not--- and to get fuel when yer toooo stinkpotted to remember the boat sucks fuel like .......
Old 30-11-2010, 12:53   #39

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
[QUOTE=captainKJ;
i should have left him there as his attitude was he did not need a vhf radio in long island sound[/QUOTE]

You're just mad 'cause he was right.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 13:15   #40

Boat: o'day 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
You have to understand that, as Canadians boaters, we grow up in very unstable canoes on top of very cold waters. Tipping is the last thing we would want to do.

lol that comment is the best one on the thread.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 13:26   #41

mebbe me neighbor tipped his canoe too many times and froze his weee lil brain...is only canuckistanian imet without manners or conscience...
Old 30-11-2010, 14:42   #42

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
This is one of the most entertaining threads I've seen. Never mind losing the initial point, just keep them coming

What can I say, I am still at work, it's dark out, and raining and cold and I have an hour of driving ahead, so I need to soak in some fun stuff for the road. But it could be worse, I could be living on a boat in sunny California next to an anoying Canadian who may or may not tip...
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 14:50   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post
This is one of the most entertaining threads I've seen. Never mind losing the initial point, just keep them coming

What can I say, I am still at work, it's dark out, and raining and cold and I have an hour of driving ahead, so I need to soak in some fun stuff for the road. But it could be worse, I could be living on a boat in sunny California next to an anoying Canadian who may or may not tip...
shoot--i care not if he doesnt tip--is the bully in them i find difficult......other than that, i dont mind being beaten on by "wak" folks...LOL...i did it for a living for 30+ years as a nursee--should be able to take it...LOL
Old 30-11-2010, 14:52   #44

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
You're just mad 'cause he was right.

stir that pot,,,,,

next time I will charge him,,,,, or let him paddle to the dock,,, but he probable did not have a paddle
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 16:55   #45

Boat: O'Day 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post

No radio? My personal outrage--and this happened 30 years ago and I'm still pissed about it: I'm sailing along western Fl near Ft Myers. I came upon two young guys sinking in a powerboat and waving and screaming for help. They had a real good leak going on a water hose. They'd been bailing for quite awhile, it seemed, and would have been scared but for all the beer they'd already consumed, judging by the number of empty cans. At least they weren't litter bugs.

I ran aground trying to get to them initialially, so I'm not real thrilled to say the least, and when I got to them and rescued their sorry asses, what they needed was a screwdriver. Yes, friends, a screwdriver. Not a phillips, or a torx, or a square driver or anything sexy, just a plain ol' normal f-ing screw driver.

I have no tolerance for helpless/clueless people.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida