Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 05:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
East-About Circumnavigation

Has anyone made a East about circumnavigation? I need info on this trip.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:23   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Chitchester.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:33   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Kay Cottee (Australia), 1988 - Cottee completed an eastward 20,000 nautical mile circumnavigation of the globe in 189 days, sailing a 33 foot yacht single-handed and non-stop.

Dee Cafari (British), On 20 November 2005, she set off on her attempt to single-handedly circumnavigate the world against the prevailing winds and currents. She finished on 18 May 2006, at 17:55pm, after 178 days at sea.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:21   #4

East About

Yes, I know many have done it that way but I am not racing nor am I going the Southern latitudes route. The part I'm most interested in is from the Red Sea to Thailand, that's the hard part. The rest I can.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:35   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Everybody but Chay Blyth went east-about unless they were going thru the Suez and Panama canals.

Or did you mean was there anyone on this forum that's been east-about that can give firsthand knowledge?

Or are you looking for routing info in which case start with:

Ocean Passages of the World --British Admiralty (BA)
Pilot Charts -- DMA or whatever agency the DMA was rolled into
World Cruising Routes --Jimmy Cornell
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
Has anyone made a East about circumnavigation? I need info on this trip.
We have been both east and west about. What do you want to know?

For Red Sea to Thailand you are looking for the SW moonsoon season, which is June through September.

To be honest, unless it's a delivery, I personally would not go that way until the pirates are cleaned up. The probability of being atacked is very low (if you follow all the proper proceedures and routing) but the consequences are so severe if it does happen. The world is a big place and there are tons of other nice places to cruise without pirates.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 13:34   #7

Estarzinger, I have done it East to West, just want to go around the other way. I don't worry about pirates, out of the thousands of boats out there, only about two "boats" have been taken in the last 10 years or so. Pretty good odds. Besides the pirate thing will never be "cleaned up", has been going on back to the 16th century. I just read a good book "The stolen Village" about Algerian pirates that sailed up to Ireland in 1630 and captured an entire village and took them back to Algeria as slaves. So, the way I look at it, you are at risk just about any where you sail.( I was mugged twice in Africa). I am mainly interested in the routes across the Indian Ocean. I crossed from Thailand to Kenya. that's the easy way.
Old 06-06-2010, 14:20   #8

Boat: Rosa B
Can't be too bad, Roz Savage just made New Guinea from across the Atlantic and Pacific in a rowboat...east-west.
Jimboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 15:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
out of the thousands of boats out there, only about two "boats" have been taken in the last 10 years or so. Pretty good odds. Besides the pirate thing will never be "cleaned up", has been going on back to the 16th century.
Hmmm . . . that was our thinking about 10 years ago, but at least in our opinion the situation has gotten quite a bit worse to the point where the probability, while still very small, is now non-trivial. We personally know 5 boats that have been shot at in the past 5 years. Anyway, that's your choice and decision. All of Life is a gamble.

Anyway, there is nothing particularily tricky about the sailing so long as you are in the right season. Lin & Larry did it in Serrafyn (their first voyage) without an engine. I suspect they have a book on that voyage if you wanted to read a log of the voyage.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 19:22   #10

Enough, with all this nonsense, this person sailed this way and that person sailed the other way. This boat got shot at and another boat got sunk. If I was afraid of getting shot at, I would stay home. I would just like to talk to someone that sailed across the Indian Ocean from the Red Sea to Thailand. Looking for, a little local knowledge, that's all. By the way, more sailboats, by far, have been shot at in South America, then the Red Sea.
Old 06-06-2010, 20:39   #11

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
there's a reason they call it "going the wrong way".
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 21:06   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
hooligan6a, ya trying to live up to yer moniker? Are ya planning to do the great capes or shortcut through the canals?
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30   #13

No, not the Capes, the Red Sea to Thailand, with stops. I know a guy that made the "wrong way" in a 23' Westerly, not the best cruising boat in the world. He sailed from the UK to Australia. I met him in Sri Lanka and gave him my charts from Sri Lanka back to the Philippines. I know he made it because I saw him in an interview in a sailing magazine. I know another guy that tried it from Cape Town to Australia, he didn't make it.

Tags
circumnavigation