Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17   #16

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
seems th eicw from mobile bay to pensacola will be closed to traffic--poor lulus....
seems there will be sand placeds between many of the barrier islands in mississippi sound. anyone trying to cruise the oil spill for the next many months may want to seek local knowledge as the charts will NOT be accurate for a while.

i learned this from local businessmans' knowledge.....those facing losing their customer base. i hope that this is solved befo0re the entire area is destroyed---which is a dire pprobability... prayers with all who are residents here and business folks here........and their families.....
Z,

You posted the above info about the "ICW from Mobile to Pensacola". I replied to that, and now you are talking about
Rigolets... thankfully I have no current local knowledge (and would not pretend to post about Louisiana.) I grew up there, and choose not to live there.

My point is that painting with such a 'broad brush' serves no purpose.

You and I agree that this is a tragedy, and we need to think ahead and get all the accurate info we can. Simply dismissing any info that contradicts something else (especially non-local, 'local knowledge') serves no one well.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:01   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Z,

You posted the above info about the "ICW from Mobile to Pensacola". I replied to that, and now you are talking about
Rigolets... thankfully I have no current local knowledge (and would not pretend to post about Louisiana.) I grew up there, and choose not to live there.

My point is that painting with such a 'broad brush' serves no purpose.

You and I agree that this is a tragedy, and we need to think ahead and get all the accurate info we can. Simply dismissing any info that contradicts something else (especially non-local, 'local knowledge') serves no one well.
we waited out the weather in wolf bay, alabama.
we purchased fuel in lulus in the canal between pensacola and mobile bay. they told us about the impending booming of tat canal. we proceeded to go thru rigolets to get the boat we sailed to safety, within 24 hours. is this so broad a brus, as you say>? i think not. i spent 1 full yr cruising these waters with a native of gulf coast. i reside inj sin diego--now we are talking a broad brush. i also have family of engineers, one of whom was a chemical engineer with a petroleum chemicals division of a currently major corporation. i know of what i speak. and i get around--i dono0t stay still and drink booze like most of the dock oriented folks who have boats so they can party. i donot party,i sail. i have fun and learn as i go. i donot love nor hate corporations. they exist. some even believe in safety first--not bp, as i have read in their own principles" words. go figger.it used to be the safety came before bottom line and production. no more.
what i know i know.
i donot know everything there is to know in this world--is why i enjoy cruising and learning new areas. when in those arreas i get to know as much as i can about the area and its impact on the world and cultures as we do and do not know them...if i were to cruise the entire world, would take a very very long time, not merely 4 short years. i need to know more about the area than that short time would allow. we spent 1 yr cruising the gulf coast area--over 6000 miles in toto..was fun and gorgeous....hope not much changes.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:39   #18

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
seems th eicw from mobile bay to pensacola will be closed to traffic--poor lulus....
seems there will be sand placeds between many of the barrier islands in mississippi sound. ---
So when is this supposed to happen? Will you let us know?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:59   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
So when is this supposed to happen? Will you let us know?
i am no longer at lulus--we were in transit to slidell, and we were in a hurry as we were told we neeeded to be to ge tin before the boom is placed across rigolets at the rr bridge or before----i dono0t see how the sand could be placed---seems impractical...and, as the traffic through the canal between mobile bay and pensacola involves commercial traffic as well as recreational, i donotknow how that could be effected. i know everyone on the gulf coast is worried and nervous. i know rumors fly like wildfire. all iknow for sure is there are booms in place under the hwy 90 bridge at the rigolets--and i know th eoil was not inside the barrier islands when we traversed the area. i hope doesnt get there, as would be too great a loss..

in noo orleenz, wwl fm is a good source of info...

when you are out and about, when you go to lulus, why not ask and tell us.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:17   #20

Quote:
... when you are out and about, when you go to lulus, why not ask and tell us.

Z Hag, sorry to have to ask, but what, or where, is Lulu's?

thanks
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:43   #21

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Z Hag, sorry to have to ask, but what, or where, is Lulu's?

thanks
A hamburger place / marina along the ICW owned by Jimmy Buffets sister Lulu.....

Here is a link... http://www.lulusathomeport.com/press.php
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:10   #22

Thanks Faith. Just found the website - looks like a fun place.

Zee, I take it from your writing that Cajun country is your homeland. Pretty much mine too - my parents were from there, and growing up I lived along the LA-TX border on the Texas coastal side. Early training for me included a few French phrases, and how to make a roux. Sabine Lake was the first place I ever got to get on a sailboat, when as a "youth" I begged for a ride and got one. Anyway, I do understand and share the concerns and issues with an oil well disaster. I also tend to temper it all a bit with the theory that nature has amazing healing abilities, and modern science can accomplish great things, so I don't think this is the end of anything, but I do predict it is a major change factor.

Jim
~
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 19:36   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
We have seen in the last few days new reports of how the sand is being used and that the Governor of LA wants to fill in between the barrier islands.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 20:22   #24

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Yesterday I went down to my fishing camp near Terrebonne Bay, about 50 miles WSW of New Orleans. Cocodrie is at the end of the road and there is quite a bit of oil industry activity there, it has been very busy since the oil leak and I did see lots of yellow boom material being loaded on boats for the ride out to the barrier islands, about 6 miles away. The oyster boats were comming in as that activity is being shut down for the time being more as a precaution than that there is contamination at this time. Shrimp season has been opening and closing by areas depending on the wind and oils movement forecasts this is driving the shrimpers crazy one day yes next day no.
There is a large BP training center near by and it has been full of people from the Louisiana state Government and BP working 24/7 since day one.
This is a good site if you like some up to date news on the Louisiana coastal area.
New Orleans, LA Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - NOLA.com
I think the biggest problem here will be if the oil comes in thick enough to kill the marsh grasses, this grass is the only thing holding the marsh together (We are too far north for mangroves) if they are gone and we are unlucky enough to be hit by a hurricane the erosion will be terrible.
Very little oil has actually made it to the shoreline in this area.
Here is a link to another local news source.
HoumaToday.com | The Courier | Houma, LA
Good luck to all those living and making a living along the area affected.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf coast