Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 19:58   #1

Boat: carter 33
CT to NYC

Planing on on boat delivery from Guilford to Nyc at the next weather opening. I was just wondering if some one has any tips sailing at this time of year in Long Island sound in November . Boat is Carter 33 and we are planing multiple day trip. Any suggestions where to stay on route over night?
straupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 20:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: CT to NYC

Are you planning multi-day trip for fun because you could do it in one long day or two at most. I made the trip from the CT River at Essex to Throg's Neck in 12 hours. If I the tidal current had not been against me could have made it a bit faster.

If you're going all the way downtown you'll be going through Hell Gate. Are you familiar with the currents there?

Lots of places to stop. Are you looking for places to visit or just a spot to anchor for the night?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 04:56   #3

I bought the boat in May and finally delivering to Jersey City after replacing the engine and other work... We would like to do multi day trip with some nice spots to stop. I don't want to push, not really familiar with sound or the boat ,and yes, the Hell gate. As far as I heard it is better to pas on slack tide? I have seen the water there from the shore.
Old 20-11-2013, 06:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

First, Hell Gate. I would try to pass the Throg's Neck bridge no earlier than the end of flood tide or early on the ebb tide from LI Sound. That would give you slack or following current down the East River into the harbor.

Regarding where to stop, next question, are you looking for marinas or a place to anchor. Either way there are so many options. Basically every little town and river on the CT shore has a place to stop. Also lots of stops on the LI side as well.

CT side you can stop in Fairfield, New Haven, Millford, Stratrford, Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford, Greenwhich, etc.

LI side Port Jefferson, Huntington/Northport, Oyster Bay, Glencove, etc

One thing. This time of year, a lot of the marinas may be closed or closing so be ready to anchor out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 06:56   #5

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Most West bound commercial traffic will transit Hell Gate within an hour of slack, East bound will generally transit any time. Keep a radio scanning channel 12 (NY VTS) and you'll have a good idea what's coming. No one will be on 16 but you should be able to get everyone on 13.
Old 20-11-2013, 07:31   #6

Thanks guys!
Old 25-11-2013, 08:32   #7

Boat: 1985 Pearson 303
I just bought my Pearson 303 in College Point, Queens, and delivered her "home" to Newport, Jersey City, NJ (IGY marina) a few weeks ago. We timed our passage through Hell Gate at "slack-ebb begins" and it was as calm as could be. We stayed to starboard to avoid commercial traffic coming around the bends and, after so much talk and worry about the passage, found it to be a veritable non-event. I found the following site to be very helpful for planning purposes: http://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/east-river.php

As for where to stay, I live near IGY's Newport marina, so it's convenient for me and the seasonal rates are reasonable. Sure, things can be a bit rolly with ferry traffic, but not anywhere near as bad as the Chelsea Piers area or the obscenely over-priced priced North Cove Marina. Liberty Landing Marina, about a mile south, has more protected areas, but it's lousy for land transportation and access--very hard to get to Manhattan or any public transportation. The ferries stop running early and then you're pretty much screwed if you're caught out. Newport marina has a wave attenuator that, while imperfect, helps a lot. I'm quite comfortable on my 30-footer and there are quite a few live-aboards year round.

The best part about Newport marina though, is it's easy access to shopping and public transportation. The PATH Newport "subway" stop is a block from the marina and can have you in midtown in 15 minutes. The bathroom and laundry facilities are immaculate and the marina restaurant, Michael Anthony's, has recently changed management--and much for the better! There's a huge shopping mall with large and small stores and a multiplex across the street but, strangely, you can't actually see it so the area still feels serene and remote, very relaxing. There are some luxury boats there, sure, but also quite a few little guys like myself, many more in the in-season. I can't say enough nice things about is place, including amazing views of the NYC skyline, sunrises, sunsets reflecting off the buildings in lower Manhattan. It's like getting a sunset facing east! The staff (at least the new guy, dock master Eric Jenkins) are terrific and much more professional since management changed to IGY. The marina used to be poorly run, shoddy, no rules and a wild-west atmosphere that felt more like a trailer park. I can't quote the rates off the top of my head, but a call to them (201-626-5550) will likely yield a quick reply. Sorry if this reads like an ad for Newport but I'm really happy here!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:12   #8

Thanks everyone for help. It was smooth sailing all the way.