Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 15:45   #16

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45, Anam Cara
I plotted the course you suggested and have also considered going down to Key West and then up, avoiding the "pots" issue altogether. We will probably do it in two legs as you suggested. I agree about the rested crew need. When we have raced with some people who are doing their first long distance race and they want to stay up through the whole race, after about 18-24 hours they are useless!

The charts look like we could go in at Longboat Pass Inlet to Cortez, we have talked to Cortez Cove Marina, becasue we could do some of our own work on the boat there. We are still considering taking it up the river ourselves to Chicago, and lately are leaning in that direction. Our other option was to sail to Pensacoala or Mobile Bay and ship from there.
Francie
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:43   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Longboat Pass is quite doable and less of a problem than some of the others tho does take vigilence and especially so if you hit it on an ebb. I omitted it earlier because of my errornious timing, which would have had one transiting 3 bridges during rush hour, which can be problemsome. Personally, I hate having to transit other than fixed bridges. N'any case--- Traveling north from Key West is easier than from Marathon but adds considerably to the distence. Once one's cleared the north-west channel and Smith Shoal Light its a very straight shot--usually about 36 hours. I'm not sure that transit from Pensecola would be much less costly than from Bradenton but perhaps. N'any case, good luck. The ship you've purchased is a good one and with good up-keep should serve you well. Cheers, s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:25   #18

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
florida

I read some great advice here. I am new basically to the St Pete area, got a Catalina 27 I am finishing up and I am looking for some good advice on where to start. Need to get to know the area, mostly heading south. Would like to work my way up to (down to?) the keys over time.

I am in Tampa Ba, at the old Gandy Marina.

Any hints on where to start? Some day trips first, the longer? Some good spots for first time overnight in the area??? Tips on Bradenton Sarasota?
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:36   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42
ExRanger--

The C-27 is a good boat for Tampa Bay and much under-rated. If you choose to race PHRF, you'll definately have a rating advantage. Some of the places to look into for near-by trips are the Vinoy Basin in St. Pete, Terra Ceia Bay, just north of Snead Island, a little bay on the south side of the Manatee River just west of Desoto Point; or, if the winds are northwesterly, on the opposit (north) side of the River (we were there this past weekend and it was great albeit a bit crowded); a nice little anchorage on the west side of the Green Briidge just south of the Regatta Point Marina; and another nice anchorage just south of the Longboat Pass Bridge, between Long Boat Key and Jewfish Key. You will also find that joining a yacht club will open many opportunities to you that you might not have otherwise. Both Davis Island Yacht Club and Pass-a-Grille YC (.:: Pass-A-Grille Yacht Club - Home ::.) would be good alternatives for you to consider. My wife adds that the one improvement to your boat that will be worth its weight in gold is a small built-in air conditioner. That's no good if you anchor out but a great attribute if you go "Clubbing"!

Cheers,

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 11:43   #20

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
The new charts are good in the Keys, well about as good as they come.

I suggest that you go out the bay, and outside of the keys, through Channel 5 bridge and to the gulf. When in this area it should be done in the daytime because of the crab traps. I caught 4 at night. If you have to anchor it will not be a problem.

If your mast is less that 51 feet you will need to go around Marco Island. Depending on where you are going to you may want to go into Tampa Bay. Avoid Ft Myers as the first mile of the ICW is/can be very bad.

You will have to be moving most of the time. Not may places to dock your boat for a short time.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 16:56   #21

Boat: CSY-44-Antigua 44ft - Autumn Borne
Send a message via Yahoo to AutumnBorne1
is there a bridge height restriction if going through to the Gulf at Marathon? We have a 60 ft mast height.
AutumnBorne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 18:37   #22

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Bridge height at the 7 mile bridge at Mosier channel is 65' MLW.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:25   #23

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
There is some draft restrictions in Florida Bay. If you draw more than 5 feet. Check your passage well. There is also a lot of crab traps in waters less than 15 feet during season. This is a daytime trip.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:49   #24

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45, Anam Cara
Miami to Sarasota

We left North Miami on Saturday morning, travelled up the intercoastal to Pt. Everglade and headed down to Key West. We stayed well off-shore all the way and arrived in Key West on Sunday about 1PM. There was a nice north breeze, although we ended up motor-sailing a good part of the way. (A cruising chute is noext on the llist to purchase!)
After staying over in Key West for a bit of a rest, we left there on Tuesday morning and arrived at Longboat Pass near Sarasota on Wednesday at 3PM. We had no trouble getting through the pass. Weather was stormy on Tuesday night, what was predicted as south 10-15 with intermitent storm cells turned our to be a persistant cell out of the north that stayed with us from 8PM to about 6AM. All's well that ends! We did see lots of crab and lobster pots in Florida Bay on the way up from Key West, but had no trouble.

We also found that although holding tanks are "required" in shore, finding a pump out is not so easy. The Key West pump out at the marina did not open till later in the morning, thus delaying our departure, and the only pump out near Cortes Cove is broke. Being Great Lakes sailors we were inclined to follow the rules and use our holding tanks, I am re-thinking that.

All in all a good maiden voyage for our boat, the forum responses were very helpful, giving us good informtion and ideas.
Francie
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 11:53   #25

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
HI.. THIS IS VERY THIN WATER, I LOST A BOAT WITH 5-9 DRAFT OFF TRAVERNIER KEY. THE DEPTHS SHOWN ON CURRENT CHARTS R, IN MY OPINION, OPTOMISTIC AT BEST. I WOULD SUBTRACT A FOOT OF ANYTHING U READ. ALSO, THE KEYS R NOT SANDBARS, THEY R CORAL REEFS, VERY UNFORGIVING.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida