Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2014, 12:10   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
couple in 20's 2 year circumnavigation...We need advise

Hi all,

I have been reading the forum for a few month now want to say hello and start getting some advise from my elder yachtsman.

My name is Dominic an my wife and I are in the planning stages for our two year plus voyage around the world. I have a construction company and have been quite successful in the past few years. We have decided to sell most of our properties (we have 4 rentals, 8 apts) and take the money and go on an adventure while we are still young.

We were in the process of buying land to build a house and start our farmstead. ( we like off grid living,not trusting this fragile world economy) But at this point we both realize that if we build and settle and have children we probably will never get to see the world in a way that is truly stress free and relaxed.

So this is where you all come in. Please give us your thoughts and advise as to how our plan looks to your experienced eyes. We recognize that we could spend our entire lives spending months and months in each port but we do eventually (at this point anyway) want to build and have a small homestead to raise a family.

FIRST- Our boat we want to buy is beneteau 373 two state room with storage room for supplies. (nothing is in stone so advise is welcome)

Our budget is around 200k to 250k with upgrades.

Our spending budget is 135k (Savings) with our monthly income from our one property we will keep of $1300 a month $15,600 a year

We will be travelling with our dog so we like the room the over 40 footers have. ( we realize the extra customs hassle of traveling with pets and are prepared as much as we could be)

We both have are taking the ASA full sailing school coarse and have a friend with a 31 foot boat that we have been enjoying day sails with.

This is our schedule as we see it now. ( this is a very rough estimate)

November: Depart from philadelphia and sail to orlando (disney with family)

December:arrive in miami

December: to end of March sail around bahamas and see as much as we can spending a few days here and there taking our time if we want to stay

March/April: Make the crossing of the Atlantic to Europe via Azores

April:Sail from Spain to UK( hometown is in Norwich east coast of England near Yarmouth)

Early June:Fly home for Brothers wedding and share stories

June, early July: In UK with grandmother, set sail for med

July,August,September,October,November: sail the Med until weather gets too cold

November: end up in Israel begin Preparations for suez and red sea voyage

November,December: Make the voyage, End up in Mumbai

December, January,February,March: make the trip through Indian ocean, end up in Australia (again no stops are set in stone)

March,April,May,Sail around Oz and end up in Sydney. Spend some time with cousins in Sydney.

June,July August,: sail From Oz to Nz, fiji and eventually back to panama

September, and on in Caribbean until we feel like moving on.

Based on anyone who has done long world trips, are we asking too much? I know that we could spend a lifetime doing it but we would like to keep it under three years. I don't like rushing and knowing my self ill probably get to the med and decide to stay :P. But i have high expectations.

Also i know of the risks of sailing the red sea and the gulf of Aden and with my training and experience and the company i will be keeping do not feel we will be an easy target. So please no discouraging from that part. (Also this is 2014 and last year there wasn't one attack, i'm more worried about mallaca personally)

So Let me know your thoughts! I know this was a long thread but i tried to give as much info as possible so as not to leave you guessing.

Wish us luck!!!

(i'm selling it all so i'm literally throwing caution to the wind!!)

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 12:20   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: couple in 20's 2 year circumnavigation...We need advise

Sounds like a plan. Go for it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 12:49   #3

Thanks leftbrainstuff. Lots of research. I just hope ww3 doesn't happen while I'm at sea lol

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 15-02-2014, 12:57   #4

Boat: Various

A couple of comments:

First, the sailing to Orlando for Disney with family? I assume you intend to sail to Daytona or somewhere and then drive to Orlando. Family isn't children but siblings and their kids?

The trans-Atlantic seems a bit soon based on your experience and the overall schedule a bit rushed. Otherwise sounds great.

Why sell the rentals? If they are good rentals and providing a decent return on the investment then would seem like they could provide some income toward your sailing. That is assuming you have sizable equity in them. Now if they are highly leveraged I understand.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:00   #5

Boat: Farrier f27

You've got a start on the planning but that dog...you need to check quarantine policies in every country; that may be problematic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A couple of comments:

First, the sailing to Orlando for Disney with family? I assume you intend to sail to Daytona or somewhere and then drive to Orlando. Family isn't children but siblings and their kids?

The trans-Atlantic seems a bit soon based on your experience and the overall schedule a bit rushed. Otherwise sounds great.

Why sell the rentals? If they are good rentals and providing a decent return on the investment then would seem like they could provide some income toward your sailing. That is assuming you have sizable equity in them. Now if they are highly leveraged I understand.

Thanks for the reply bandb.

Yes, we are thinking of docking in Daytona for a week and going to Orlando to be with my family while hey are in Disney.

And for your your question, we feel that since we have a lot of equity involved to turkey enjoy our trip we don't want many stresses so to just cash out and use that money to buy e boat would be nice. We are keeping the one property to return to. And to get income while we are gone. Being a land lord for a few years now has taught me what can go wrong will so I don't want the worries while at sea. But otherwise I hope to have someone accompany us on our first trans ocean journey. We know an older gentleman who has been in Caribbean for 20 years now. Maybe we can convince him to come with us all expenses paid!!! Lo,maybe maybe not. Ima dreamer!

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 15-02-2014, 13:05   #7

@ randy,

Yeah we have been looking at every single country and their policies as for quarantine. So far biggest concern is with Australia. But we have been calling around to the govt. offices and have the feeling that if you give them ample time and lots of paper work we can minimize quarantines. Unfortunately, she is our baby and can't leave without her... ( I know we're dumb :P)

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 15-02-2014, 13:08   #8

Boat: Catalina 470
I've red in a couple of posts recently concern with the pirate situation in the Malacca straits Malaysia. I've been in the area for over two years and I can assure you it is just not a issue. I read on the Internet about some shipping issues but I can tell you from first hand experience Malaysia and Indonesia just aren't the pirate infested waters that some thing, well for yachts at least. No yachty I've met have had any problems, absolutely none.
Regards Dale.

Regards Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:10   #9

Thanks dale,

We have been looking at the live pirate map and last year there seems to be much more criminal activity there then off Somalia.
Anyways thanks for that my wife will appreciate that as we really want to explore that area

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 15-02-2014, 13:18   #10

Boat: Catalina 470
I am also surprised to see the figures but I think you'll find its not the same sort of piracy. Ships maybe getting robbed but crews aren't getting kidnapped and ransomed and no one is dying. Yachts aren't even remotely bothered. You'll be surprised ( I was ) Malaysia is not a 3rd world country. Last time I locked my dinghy up was in Australia 3 years ago. Regardless of what the figures say I think you'll find the Somalia thing is much more serious than the Asia problem. Indonesians are the nicest people you could ever meet.
Regards Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:23   #11

Thanks daletournier,

That's what we want to hear. I have seen he worst humanity has to offer and still believe that humans beings in no matter what part if the world view travelers with respect and courtesy

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 15-02-2014, 13:24   #12

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
@ randy,

Yeah we have been looking at every single country and their policies as for quarantine. So far biggest concern is with Australia. But we have been calling around to the govt. offices and have the feeling that if you give them ample time and lots of paper work we can minimize quarantines. Unfortunately, she is our baby and can't leave without her... ( I know we're dumb :P)
You're not dumb and I know the attachment you feel. However, I'd have to ask the other way and that is how do you think it will be for her? You didn't say what kind and size dog and if she's use to a lot of space and running or been an indoor dog alone much of the time? Also, her age? I've had to part with a dog previously when my life changed significantly. I was suddenly traveling 70% of the time by plane and staying in hotels. So it was kennel or new home. It hurt. But the new owners sure did spoil her, more than I had ever been able to.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:33   #13

Bandb,

She is a 65lb Native American Indian dog (Shepard husky mix) she loves to run and explore like us but is very content sleeping the days away. So far our experience with her on boats is very positive she loves the water! I do hope that it goes well though.... There is so many unknowns out there... It is concerning for us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1392499943.893305.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	76195

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 15-02-2014, 13:33   #14

Boat: Niagara 35
You're going the wrong way around. You want to go downwind!
Old 15-02-2014, 13:37   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The dog will be expensive in Australia. About $2,000 USD per month as I understand it.

The other thing that could be difficult is the upwind from Australia to Panama. Thats 6,500 nms and against the current. In a 37 foot boat that would be hell. I have done 1,400 upwind in one passage and i could do that fine, anytime, but 6,500 into the pacific trades? Not on your nellie!

So I would do as you suggest but at the end of Europe come back across the Atlantic and through the panama to Australia and then home via south Africa or the Med depending on piracy.
The reason I say do the med first in the plan you have is that Europe is an exciting place and you will enjoy it, then though it looks a long way back across the atlantic it isnt, really. And it fits in nicely with your timetable, to leave the med september and be in the Canaries October and trans Atlantic November/december. Panama February and onwards..

Have athink about that and look at the pilot charts for the Pacif downloadable off the Net from Noaa, I think.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation