Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2014, 13:41   #16

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Re: couple in 20's 2 year circumnavigation...We need advise

Markj

Thanks, I will definitely look into that. FYI I messed up in thread I meant 473 beneteau. But anyways goo advice I will defiantly check out maybe going the other way.

My only concern would be is my grandmum is 93 and I'm not sure she will be around by the time we get there from aus, then Singapore then med. That why we want to spend that spring with her.

Thanks for the tips!

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:53   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard!
A couple of points of view below
Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
We will be travelling with our dog so we like the room the over 40 footers have. ( we realize the extra customs hassle of traveling with pets and are prepared as much as we could be)..........
Presumably small dog! Some dogs are very difficult to toilet train on boats, other not so much. Big dogs are very difficult to exercise and provision for on longer passages.

This is our schedule as we see it now. ( this is a very rough estimate)...
It is good (almost essential) to plan but be very very prepared to toss the plan overboard as soon as you get underway. Did I mention to be prepared to toss the plan...

December, January,February,March: make the trip through Indian ocean, end up in Australia (again no stops are set in stone)
Sounds like you will traversing a cyclone season somewhere during this period; not good!

March,April,May,Sail around Oz and end up in Sydney. Spend some time with cousins in Sydney.
Really depends if you are planning CW or CCW and your potential first port of entry. Either way have some difficult passages but again depending of entry port, one way will be very difficult.

June,July August,: sail From Oz to Nz, fiji and eventually back to panama
If staying in the lower lats, this will be one loooong windward sail; if planning the higher lats, it will be one long and cold sail.

Based on anyone who has done long world trips, are we asking too much? ......
There is a reason, most RTW cruisers go west about, it's warm, easy and enjoyable. East about takes some careful planning and can be difficult to align the seasons to your desired route and timeframe.

Wish us luck!!!
Done
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:56   #18

I note that Markj is faster on the keyboard than wotie
And I now know the dog is big...
Are you really sure he/she is happy to spend weeks on board without real exercise?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-02-2014, 13:57   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Just looking at the OPs schedule, it's very compressed, Spain to Uk in April can be slow , then sail all the way back in June July. Hmmmmm. Sailing season s really over in the med by October, far too little time to enjoy the med. then overwinter in Israel, I presume you have looked at this, entering Israel by sea is tricky.

The whole timeframe is way too tight, why race around the world.

Dave
Old 15-02-2014, 13:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

The whole timeframe is way too tight, why race around the world.

Dave
Concur, especially east about.
Old 15-02-2014, 14:04   #21

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Man the westerly route really is looking appealing right now. It makes sense. Why fight the wind?
I really have to study the charts and the storm seasons

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 14:12   #22

Quote:
Man the westerly route really is looking appealing right now. It makes sense. Why fight the wind?
I really have to study the charts and the storm seasons
And read what and how almost every other circumnavigator did/does it.
Combine that with your own researched information and you will have a great time.
Old 15-02-2014, 15:10   #23

Boat: Catalina 470
East to West is a no brainer.....Going to wind dosen't seem that bad until your doing it. Absolutely none of my business, but think seriously about selling your rentals. You have done very well,and something most can't do. Selling it all is short term thinking and you may not be able to replicate your position again (no offence meant).
I started cruising at 37 I'm now 45. The reason I can do this is I kept half my business and settled for less of a boat. l regularly want to sell the business as it causes me worry but it is the goose that produces the golden egg's and the energy to reproduce it again down the track (if I could) is to great. I accept that the worries I have are the cost I pay to do what I do. Obviously in the future I will sell but there has to be enough in it to continue on.
Just my thoughts, with compromise you can cruise and look after your future.
Regards Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 16:02   #24

Forget about the dog, leave it at home with someone you trust.

Forget about going east go west.

Get a boat for half what you are thinking and keep extra funds in cruising kitty.

Forget your schedule it is ludicrous (I only glanced at it to know that), have a rough idea what you want to do, research lots and be flexible.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 16:13   #25

Boat: Niagara 35
Beth Leonard's Voyager's Handbook is amazing and will tell you all about seasons and routes and choice of boat and outfitting it.

You can do a West aboutin 18 months and manage to avoid all hurricane seasons. You will be at sea about a third of the time. Most people take at least twice that long, but it all depends on what time you have and what your personal goals are.

If I were you, I'd spend about 60k on a used 35 foot boat and 30k outfitting her.

I'd also leave the dog or not go at all. But I'm not you!
Old 15-02-2014, 16:56   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Absolutely none of my business, but think seriously about selling your rentals. You have done very well,and something most can't do. Selling it all is short term thinking and you may not be able to replicate your position again
Yeah, I agree, none of our business... But, there's a saying here: "never sell Sydney real estate". Obviously you are not from Sydney, but it means the same. If the real estate is good do not sell it.

A good rental property always pays you money. And I think we need that cruising!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 18:57   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Why do you need such a big boat and big $$$ to buy??? A boat around 40' will do everything you want and not leave you broke. For one thing, insurance can be a killer for passage making. Not only is it expensive but comes with a bunch of restrictions like having to add crew members. Often a recipe for disaster. Buy a boat you can afford to walk away from if you park it on a reef somewhere. Sh*t does happen!!! Going on a more modest boat would probably allow you to keep some of your income properties and keep sailing longer or more luxuriously.

The advice not to try and buck the trades going East from SoPac is spot on. Sailing around the horn or north to Hawaii, Alaska and then down south, or just heading west all the way round makes more sense. Fly down to visit the relatives in Orlando or wherever then sail to Europe via the trade wind route and follow the trades back west as others have said. You won't have to chance becoming a victim of pirates if the you sail south around Africa.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 19:23   #28

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

All good advice... All I'll add is the trying to follow a schedule gets people hurt or worse. I tell me friends they can pick a time frame ( a BROAD time frame) or an area to meet us. They can't pick both. I love dogs but I couldn't cruise internationally with one.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 19:41   #29

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Not too many pleasure sailboats going thru Suez and Red Sea these days.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 20:21   #30

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
FIRST- Our boat we want to buy is beneteau 373 two state room with storage room for supplies. (nothing is in stone so advise is welcome)

Our budget is around 200k to 250k with upgrades.

Our spending budget is 135k (Savings) with our monthly income from our one property we will keep of $1300 a month $15,600 a year

We will be travelling with our dog so we like the room the over 40 footers have. ( we realize the extra customs hassle of traveling with pets and are prepared as much as we could be)

We both have are taking the ASA full sailing school coarse and have a friend with a 31 foot boat that we have been enjoying day sails with.

This is our schedule as we see it now. ( this is a very rough estimate)

November: Depart from philadelphia and sail to orlando (disney with family)

December:arrive in miami

December: to end of March sail around bahamas and see as much as we can spending a few days here and there taking our time if we want to stay

March/April: Make the crossing of the Atlantic to Europe via Azores

April:Sail from Spain to UK( hometown is in Norwich east coast of England near Yarmouth)

Early June:Fly home for Brothers wedding and share stories

June, early July: In UK with grandmother, set sail for med

July,August,September,October,November: sail the Med until weather gets too cold

November: end up in Israel begin Preparations for suez and red sea voyage

November,December: Make the voyage, End up in Mumbai

December, January,February,March: make the trip through Indian ocean, end up in Australia (again no stops are set in stone)

March,April,May,Sail around Oz and end up in Sydney. Spend some time with cousins in Sydney.

June,July August,: sail From Oz to Nz, fiji and eventually back to panama

September, and on in Caribbean until we feel like moving on.

Based on anyone who has done long world trips, are we asking too much? I know that we could spend a lifetime doing it but we would like to keep it under three years. I don't like rushing and knowing my self ill probably get to the med and decide to stay :P. But i have high expectations.
Two years is rushed but doable. For folks with limited experience it is really rushed.

Leave the dog or skip Oz and NewZealand take your pick. Both have a 6 month quarantine, any deviations from requirements they kick you out immediately, if you aren't ready they put the animal down or they might put it down anyway. This is a huge money issue for both countries, both have large agricultural segments to their economies and have no tolerance for anything that might bring a disease or invasive species that would threaten their people's livelihoods. If you have hiking boots aboard they will brush the dirt off them into a bag and incinerate it to make sure no seeds or spores make it into the country.

37' is probably the largest boat you want for your skill level. With several years of offshore experience a bigger boat would be OK.

The way I read your budget you have:

$200-250k to buy and outfit the boat

plus

$135k lump sum + $1300/mo for underway expenses

Is that correct?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation