Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2012, 09:50   #1

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Coming up the East Coast

Hi,

I bought a Searunner 37 and plan to bring it to Newport, RI from Miami the first few weeks of May. I will have four aboard, me planned route is Miami, Charleston, Morehead City, Newport. I don't have refrigeration, only ice.

Can anyone give me any outfitting suggestions, navigation warnings, route modifications, etc? I have only gone south, never north, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John B.
Old 24-03-2012, 10:40   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Coming up the East Coast

Are you planning to go inside, outside or a combination? Can your mast fit under ICW bridges? Looking for a quick trip or a relaxed one? Morehead City to R.I. is a long stretch.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 14:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
Are you planning to go inside, outside or a combination? Can your mast fit under ICW bridges? Looking for a quick trip or a relaxed one? Morehead City to R.I. is a long stretch.
This is going to be a quicky, offshore the whole way. Miami to Charleston is about 425 miles, Charleston to Morehead City about 250 miles, and Morehead City to Newport about 450 miles. That is why I am seeking advise for the trip. The only consideration for inside would be through the dismal swamp if the weather is too bad around Cape Hatteras.

Thanks,
John B.
Old 24-03-2012, 15:12   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Early May you are very likely to have some cold fronts with northers still coming down, and that 450-mile run from Morehead to Newport puts you off of Hatteras and so far offshore you really can't run back in if a front is coming. By the way, check your mileage. I'm pretty sure it is around 500 NM from Beaufort offshore around Hatteras to Newport. My druthers would be to go inside from Beaufort to Norfolk and then outside to Cape May, and then from Cape May to Block Island and Newport, or go direct from Norfolk to Block if the weather permits. It will be cold for that last stretch and heavy long underwear, ski hats, etc. will be what you need at night. Do you have a nice thermos for middle of the night warm ups?
Old 24-03-2012, 15:14   #5

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Dismal Swamp is scenic, but not the quickest way through Virginia. There's a route called the Virginia Cut that you might want to consider.

My advice on the stops is to be flexible. The reason being is that you will want to stay in the stream as far as you can and with its easterly bend, ports become further and further away from the stream as you go north. If weather, crew and provisions permit, stay in the stream. Charleston is pretty far west of the stream. Miami to Morehead City is a nice quick run in the stream — as long as you have a good weather window.

Make sure you have a good list of all acceptable ports on the coast in case you have to duck in.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 15:20   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Make sure you have a good list of all acceptable ports on the coast in case you have to duck in.
It goes without saying that you should have onboard all the charts you'll need for both intermediate stops and the ICW, because you never know where you'll actually end up.
Old 24-03-2012, 15:58   #7

Boat: Westsail 32

Just a post to ensure I get pinged on further contributions
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 17:02   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Mate-

I looked at that boat when it was for sale. It is completely unsafe to take offshore.

Jeff
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 17:40   #9

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I would add Fernandina Beach and Lewes, DE as possible intermediate stops. Get yer motor on!
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 17:56   #10

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Early May you are very likely to have some cold fronts with northers still coming down
???? Not really...
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 17:57   #11

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Judging from the questions you asked I suggest you hire a professional captain to go along with you.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 18:31   #12

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Judging from the questions you asked I suggest you hire a professional captain to go along with you.
Why? I think this seems like a reasonable trip provided he picks his weather windows and that the boat is in set up to deal with anything that might come up.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 04:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
Dismal Swamp is scenic, but not the quickest way through Virginia. There's a route called the Virginia Cut that you might want to consider.

My advice on the stops is to be flexible. The reason being is that you will want to stay in the stream as far as you can and with its easterly bend, ports become further and further away from the stream as you go north. If weather, crew and provisions permit, stay in the stream. Charleston is pretty far west of the stream. Miami to Morehead City is a nice quick run in the stream — as long as you have a good weather window.

Can you tell me more of the Virginia Cut? I was perusing the charts and really couldn't find the best route.

Thanks
Old 25-03-2012, 05:09   #14

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewett_john View Post
Can you tell me more of the Virginia Cut? I was perusing the charts and really couldn't find the best route.

Thanks
Goes up through Currituck Sound (a little cut thrugh Coinjock, Va) then up the North Landing River to North landing, Va then west through Great Bridge and into Norfolk.

One lock and a couple Fixed and swing bridges. Much better for depth than the Dismal Swamp route (though the Sping is usually OK for that route).

Then all the bridges through Norfolk that you would usually encounter either route.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 05:20   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I don't think you need to worry about draft in a Searunner! Definitely consider the Dismal Swamp Canal unless you're in a crazy hurry (which is not a good idea)...much more scenic, pretty much the same distance, just one extra lock compared to the other route.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote