Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2019, 11:55   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Catalina 30 To Santa Cruz

Personnally, I prefer to go out on an ebb, which greatly helps to get offshore more quickly because you'll be hard on the wind on the way out. I have not found it to be too bad unless you have big wind and a big sea state that runs counter to a strong ebb. Also, don't cut inside the South Tower or inside Mile Rock. Livingston's book may cover this info.

The crab traps should be gone by now. The season closed early. Salmon fishers at night is your next issue [emoji12]
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 22:16   #17

Boat: Catalina 30 MkII

Stu Jackson, I used “Windy” waypoints and “i-Boating nautical charts” to figure out the distance if I were to sail upwind all the way. Not a highway road map, and not a distance based on motoring right along the coast. Thank for for clearing up what the proper time to leave is, Gamayun. I was getting that information from Tradewinds Sailing School and Club’s info page. Will there be a change in the waves and wind depending on how far out I must be or are fisherman and crab pots the only difference?
Teebeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 06:42   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebeedee View Post
Stu Jackson, I used “Windy” waypoints and “i-Boating nautical charts” to figure out the distance if I were to sail upwind all the way. Not a highway road map, and not a distance based on motoring right along the coast. Thank for for clearing up what the proper time to leave is, Gamayun. I was getting that information from Tradewinds Sailing School and Club’s info page. Will there be a change in the waves and wind depending on how far out I must be or are fisherman and crab pots the only difference?
Tee, you're asking good questions. I think the main point I'd make is there's practically nothing that is absolute other than trying to do it safely and do what makes you feel comfortable. I am not a highly experienced coastal cruiser so my way is not necessarily the proper way. I can only tell you some of the things I might do but there are so many variables that these are not always going to be right choices to make. I have seen boats do all sorts of crazy things and nothing bad happens. I've also helped chop up a sailboat after the skipper mistook one of the buoy lights for Pillar Point Harbor and lost his boat on the reef at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. I have some conservative friends that will stay miles out from the coast even on calm days. You will see traps in the water. I recommend you not go at night until you have more experience, but even then, it's easier if you don't have to navigate that area at night. The Bay Area Multihull Association (BAMA) has required reading on its webpage before racers do their Farallones race, which allows both mono and multihull boats. That might have some good general info about conditions. Perhsps just go poke your nose out to get the willies off your back. Each time you'll gain more knowledge that'll help you gauge what to do in subsequent times. You might not even like it out there -- not everyone does and yet they sail the bay quite happily.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 08:47   #19

Copy that. That is definitely one thing I have learned with sailing. If there is one thing that increases skill level more than anything, it is going out to experience the unknown. Thanks again for all the advice everyone!

I will let you know how to goes,
Teebeedee
Old 20-04-2019, 09:04   #20

I was kidding about the highway map, but you didn't say "tacking upwind distance," did you now? 40 nm is 8 hours at 5 knots. You'd have to pick a very nice day and/or a loong one (like June 21st) to sail that leg from SC to HMB! My experience is that unless you have oodles of time, one is grateful, very grateful, for NO wind on the return trip. I prediated my entire trip from SF to BC on just that premise in 2016.

You enthusiasm is great. But perhaps you should reread Livingston's book, because he really does discuss this stuff.

Like, there are back eddies within The Gate, like at Baker Beach.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 09:25   #21

Stu Jackson, I purchased Livingston’s book yesterday. Hopefully I will get it soon. The reviews seems really positive. Thank you again for your advice.
Old 20-04-2019, 09:35   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

As you get a few days from departure, keep checking forecasts for wind on the coast. There will be some periods of 3 to 5 days, especially from March to June, when you really don't want to be headed north. It is not life threatening, just a bit slow and uncomfortable during those blows. If you are approaching Pidgeon Point and it is rough, know that after you pass the point it usually gets much flatter all the way back to SF.

BTW the Catalina 30 is fine for any coastal cruising and more. We raced and sailed SF to SoCal 4 times and did dozens of local ocean races in our Cal29 in the 80s and 90s. There was always a well sailed Catalina 30 in the PHRF fleet. The owner was a most congenial gentleman, but in the Windjammers Race to Santa Cruz he had a habit of rounding the point north of the Santa Cruz pier too close and in at least two races we passed him on the outside when he got stuck in the kelp.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:00   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It's been quite a few years but when we did it we'd leave timing it to be at the bridge at the crack of dawn catching the last of an ebb tide, motoring. Fog and shipping were the two things more concerning to me in those days... still are. If you are saying the only problem you had in 45 knots was some windward helm I'd say you are good to go tacking up the coast. But it can be deceiving how long it takes to tack up even 10 or 20 miles in even 15 knots with a boat our size if you aren't used to it in swells and currents (compared to somewhat calmer bay conditions.) So I would recommend getting some practice sailing upwind in a steep chop there closer to the gate (north of it out of the shipping lane of course) where you are close to home and then you can see, measure and record how much headway your boat can realistically make in different wind/sea conditions, (and sail configurations) and use that info to inform your future ventures farther afield (when it is time to tack back up from HMB or Santa Cruz.) To be sure, as you've probably heard, read and seen, the entrance gets its share of steep waves at times, in certain spots, due to currents, sea conditions and bottom topography, and they aren't to be trifled with. Do a little planning and watch the weather/sea conditions forecast, tide tables and know where you are and where the trouble spots are, but I wouldn't let it deter you. Do you have BoatUS tow insurance? It's a good thing to have in case something, like an engine, stops working. It's MUCH cheaper to buy it now than later!

edit... man that guy is wordy, ain't he?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, santa cruz