Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 07:50   #1

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu 53ft
Cap Canaveral

Hello, would you have any special recommendation to do Cap Canaveral sailing North tomorrow from port Everglades? Distance from the shore?

Thank you!

Pitugolf
pitugolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:22   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Cap Canaveral

Definitely get out in the Gulf Stream. That should be only a couple of miles from shore and will give you a 3-4kt freebie on top of your speed.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:39   #3

I believe there are locks you have to go thru at Canaveral, depending on your actual destination, check that out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:42   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitugolf View Post
Hello, would you have any special recommendation to do Cap Canaveral sailing North tomorrow from port Everglades? Distance from the shore?

Thank you!

Pitugolf
I take it port Canaveral is your destination, you aren't simply asking what is the best way to clear the shoals off of Cape Canaveral. If this is correct I suggest you ride the gulf stream to somewhere just north of Ft. Pierce and then start angling in towards port Canaveral. Definitely start this before you reach Sebastian inlet. North of Ft. Pierce the Gulf Stream is so far off shore that getting in from the gulf stream to Port Canaveral offsets any speed boost from the stream. The eastern edge of the gulf stream is normally about 14 miles east of Ft Pierce and almost 30 east of Port Canaveral.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote