Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2019, 17:18   #1

Bremerton WA to Portland OR

Hi all.

I’m leaving on the 24th! We are finally bringing our boat (B393) home to Portland and I was hoping to get as much input as possible from anyone who has made this trip before. I have lots of sailing experience but this will be my first overnight trip out in Pacific. Any and all info is appreciated.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:25   #2

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'
Re: Bremerton WA to Portland OR

I just helped bring a 65' trawler from LA to Anacortes the first week of April. I can't speak to the sailing conditions but,

1) Watch for commercial crab traps (in lines) north and south of Westport and the mouth of the Columbia. Once you see one look in the distance for another to find their "line", then you can cut across them.

2) If you go in at Westport it is treacherous. Which you probably already know.

3) The roughest sea we had was the Rosario Strait.

Take care,

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:26   #3

Here is a link to the lanes that are supposed to be trap free.

https://www.yachtsdelivered.com/towboatlanes.html
brmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmoney View Post
Here is a link to the lanes that are supposed to be trap free.

https://www.yachtsdelivered.com/towboatlanes.html
Waypoint of tow boat lanes
http://wsg.washington.edu/community-...-and-meetings/
brmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:18   #5

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 33

We have made this trip 21 times in two different cruising boats without the benefit of Windy, Tow Boat Lanes data, AIS or electronic charts. With these conveniences you have much better data on when and where to navigate. Radar is very helpful at night. Pick an easy weather window with moderate seas. Keep a close watch for fishing boats and other vessels at night. High slack water is preferred for crossing the Columbia bar. And, as others have warned keep a weather eye out for crab pots and debris. The 30 fathom line is has been a safe offshore distance for us. Now after 20 years we again head north with all the modern conveniences, but nothing is better than an a alert watch. Safe travels.
Bob and Jan McCarthy, S/V Shamrock, Nonsuch 33, Portland
Robert E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:32   #6

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Pick your weather window; and as others have said, watch out for fishing boats (the major obstacle).

Pick your tides/ currents carefully for the bar crossing and do it in daylight the first time (Ebb before flood on entry).

Keep in mind bailout points - La Push and Grays Harbor. I prefer La Push (good food). Make the decision early if things look bad ... don't want to try either if it is getting rough (bar/ following sea) and will be better heading offshore to weather it out.

Relax and explore the Columbia on the way upriver if you have time
The Marina at Cathlamet even has a brewery ... and a good little historical museum. Also the Maritime Museum at Astoria is great!
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:46   #7

Boat: Tartan 33

I'm taking my boat from Elliott Bay to Astoria Saturday morning. You're welcome to come along if you'd like. It's not a super long trip, but there are challenges. I need to be in Astoria by the 7th or 8th for the Oregon Offshore. We usually post up in Neah Bay and look at the weather. I try to time the bar crossing for the slack after the ebb without having to heave to and wait offshore. Let me know if you're interested & I'll give you my phone #. Two people are on the boat. It's a Tartan 33. We're well prepped. Honestly, getting out of the strait has always been the hardest part of the trip. You're in it for a while, and the wind can blow like stink in the wrong direction.
Old 02-05-2019, 13:29   #8

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Going downhill should be enjoyable. I just got back from PDX to Astoria . Plan was to go to Port Angeles but boat has maintenance issues.

Once leaving the straits places to duck into are far and few between and none are all that great. So, how much fuel do you carry? Can you motor if needed from the straits to Astoria? If the wind shifts as it has been doing and you're on a timeline you may have to motorsail down into the wind. Bring lots of fuel filters and know how to rapidly change a filter and bleed your system.

Hopefully you will simply have the most awesome sail.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 21:36   #9

Boat: Norseman 400

Thought this "information" might be helpful. Well, maybe. lol

Just so you know, our bar crossings haven't been as dramatic as this. But just in case, don't forget your tether and helmet. Wait, what?

Not trying to scare the be-jebus out out you, but those breaking waves are real. Most folks run FROM them, not into them. Gotta love the Coasties!

Let us know when you make it to Astoria. And be sure to (after you rest up in the West Basin Marina) head to the Portway Tavern! They serve five-star food at dive-bar prices. At least they did when we were in town. The halibut was prepared the best we ever had - before or since. And we're kinda old.

Safe sailing, amigo. Let us know when you've made it safe and sound.

https://www.marineworldclassifieds.n...npdMoyS3Fwvl-Q
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 22:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halien View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I try to time the bar crossing for the slack after the ebb without having to heave to and wait offshore.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reference sources I used coming up the coast in 2016 advised this technique. It worked for us, we harbor hopped.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 23:10   #11

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I was in Astoria delivering a boat with the intention of crossing the bar. Not to be. Boat/owner issues.

Weather forecast was 4' waves at the bar. It was actually 2 feet. Just make sure you cross at slack and understand slack at the bar might be 45 minutes earlier than say Tongue Point which is one of the tidal stations you can get info for.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 15:59   #12

Thanks for the responses. I have been busy getting some last minute projects out of the way (for both the boat and at home) so I haven't had time to thank you all for your input.

I did find out something interesting though. My insurance company will only cover me for up to 25 miles offshore. I though that was odd. How far out do people usually go? It looks like the tow lanes are 15 miles out? I've even heard people suggest 40 to 50 miles before.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 22:14   #13

Boat: Norseman 400

We could see land the whole trip down, so not more than 10-15 miles out. The sea conditions were such that it was okay for us to sail that close to shore.
But, sometimes when the water is rough, out is better. Check Windy.com (ECMWF model) for currents, waves, and swell, to get an idea of what water conditions you'll be experiencing at different distances from shore.

How far is the Coast Guard rescue range from the coast stations in the event someone needs help? Maybe that's why the insurance company limits the offshore distance.

Have a safe trip!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portland