Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2021, 09:08   #1

Boat: Lagoon 46
Boat information folder for cruising - what to include?

Hello,
Newby to cruising. Putting together our folder of documents and forms. What should we include in the folder?
So far:
USCG documentation
Dinghy registration
MMSI cert
Pets (what do I need that is not specific to any particular destination?)
List of crew w/Name, pass port number, DOB (what else?)

Thanks,
Tracy and Kim
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:02   #2

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Boat information folder for cruising - what to include?

Operating manuals for every piece of gear on the boat.

A pictorial schematic detailing all functional elements of the vessel like location of safety gear, fire extinguishers, water tanks, fuel tanks, etc.

Radio frequencies for the areas you’ll be sailing in

Much of this stuff can be kept electronically and read on-screen. Forms saved can be filled in electronically and then printed on board. I use apps on my tablet like Camscanner and Adobe fill’n’sign for things like crew lists and customs documentation. Most of the required forms, certainly where I sail, are available to download. Most equipment manuals are also available electronically and can be downloaded and saved on a tablet.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:17   #3

Boat: Tartan T4400

I keep one folder with all of the official paper work,
USCG Documentation Dinghy Registration
Insurance policy Radio station license
Radio operator permit List of Credit cards and contact umbers for them
I would keep crew list, passports copy of Documentation in a water proof container as a grab and go kit with my abandon ship bag.
I assume you have all equipment manuals already on board. A lot of what you need is dependent on your cruising area for entry/exit procedures so I might have forms for the various countries I an planning on entering.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:17   #4

In New Zealand we have to pass a Cat1 inspection and amongst the myriad of rules is a “new” one that requires us to have an operational manual for the boat that is available for all crew and guests to read.

I have attached my manual as an example. I am not available to answer critics on the contents or philosophies expressed in the manual. Discuss them if you wish but don’t expect any reaction from me.

This is a living document that changes as and when required. I don’t care whether others share my views, values or requirements, you have yours, I have mine. I simply postulate my manual as an example for others to get an idea of what is required.

Hope this is of value to some.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT 1 User Manual.pdf (866.2 KB, 383 views)
Old 11-01-2021, 08:27   #5

Boat: Island Packet 32

Very nice job, Cassidy
Old 11-01-2021, 09:20   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

In addition to vessel documentation I have three 3 ring binders. One for engine manuals and notes (compatible spares, part numbers, etc), One for manuals for anything electronic, and one for every other manual/document pertaining to equipment on the boat. Larger manuals are on the bookshelf.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:23   #7

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
In New Zealand we have to pass a Cat1 inspection and amongst the myriad of rules is a “new” one that requires us to have an operational manual for the boat that is available for all crew and guests to read.

I have attached my manual as an example. I am not available to answer critics on the contents or philosophies expressed in the manual. Discuss them if you wish but don’t expect any reaction from me.

This is a living document that changes as and when required. I don’t care whether others share my views, values or requirements, you have yours, I have mine. I simply postulate my manual as an example for others to get an idea of what is required.

Extremely complete and comprehensive manual. Thank you for sharing!

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 11-01-2021, 11:04   #8

Boat: Tartan T4400

CassidyNZ very well set up you obviously put a lot of time and thought in to it. Thanks for sharing. One quest ion is this a requirement for foreign flagged vessels
Old 11-01-2021, 11:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
CassidyNZ very well set up you obviously put a lot of time and thought in to it. Thanks for sharing. One quest ion is this a requirement for foreign flagged vessels
No, foreign flagged vessels are not required to comply with any part of NZ Cat1.

Having said that, much of Cat1 is sensible safety stuff that many (most?) voyagers would apply in one form or another anyway and foreign vessels should at least have a look at the rules as a guide to a comprehensive safety regime.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:25   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Well done thank you for sharing to the community
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 13:39   #11

Boat: J/42

Argh! Having ISO 17025 / 9001 compliance flashbacks. You may be responsible for my nightmares tonight!
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 13:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyandkimo View Post
Hello,
Newby to cruising. Putting together our folder of documents and forms. What should we include in the folder?
So far:
USCG documentation
Dinghy registration
MMSI cert
Pets (what do I need that is not specific to any particular destination?)
List of crew w/Name, pass port number, DOB (what else?)
Answers seem to be all over the place. Just to clarify. Are you asking about a folder with the information needed by various authorities, such as checking into and out of countries? Or if stopped for USCG inspection?

Because engine manuals would not be needed for that, nor would I want to be flipping through my MFG display manual when they are asking for my vessel documentation.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 13:59   #13

Boat: Morgan 382

For me, manuals are kept in (several) separate binders from that which is my boat document binder.

My boat document binder has:
Section 1
The original boat registration document, and several copies.
FCC Licenses(which also documents MMSI), Ship Station, my operator permit, and HAM.
EPIRB registrations.
Liferaft inspection/certification.
Current crew list, with emergency contact information, and several copies.
List of previous ports, and several copies.
List of significant equipment, and several copies.
Section 2
Any relevant medical information, Vaccine records, prescriptions etc, of the crew.
Section 3
All paperwork provided to me from my last port of call (under passage)
or my current port (while in port)
Section 4
All paperwork from previous ports of call.

I have copies of many of the documents in the binder for convenience. It is appreciated when asked to see my documentation for example, if I give them a copy and tell them they can keep it. Some officials will sign and stamp my crew list instead of filling out another couple pages of forms. Else, it makes it much easier to fill out the forms with the information all in front of you. And customs in many countries wants a list of equipment on the boat, etc. It makes the process much faster, and reduces the number of questions, which always seems a good thing.

Especially when there is a language barrier. Checking into Indonesia, without an agent, I simply gave the officials all the papers I knew they would need(and some they didn't) They had no questions for me, they just filled out a bunch of forms, typed on the computer, and then we each stamped everything.
Old 11-01-2021, 14:11   #14

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post

Thanks for this Cassidy! Nice work!
Old 11-01-2021, 14:21   #15

Might need copies of proof of insurance for boat (liability) and depending on where you're going proof of medical insurance. ( need to get Portugal 90 day visa extension)
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising