Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2020, 05:49   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, 45DS
Barcelona to the Solent

I'm planning to bring my boat back to the UK from Barcelona - I'd be grateful for any advice, observations, tips from anyone who has done this.. Obvious things are Straits of Gibraltar going west, and the Bay of Biscay in August - both of which I haven't done before. I'm also hearing about potential for very large waves off Portugal - and myriads of fishing boats, nets etc.. Thanks in advance !
Simonradiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 06:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Re: Barcelona to the Solent

Go with the flow coming through the straits, preferably with a following wind. Keep to the north side.

It can be bouncy with wind against tide.

Are you planning to do the trip slowly or fast? As you follow the Atlantic coast of Portugal and Spain you'll probably have both wind and current against you but it looks like you have a boat that can go to windward. Big waves off the Portuguese coast tend to occur in the winter, inshore.

There are lots of places to stop on the way, Lisbon, cascais, Porto, bayona, A Corrunna

Biscay is unpredictable but I've been across more times in a calm than a storm.

Enjoy the trip!

Ed

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 06:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Barcelona to the Solent

If you are stopping off in Gib or La Linea anchorage (just off the beach W of the marina) time your departure for 1hr before high water with an Easterly or very light winds. Keep to the N shore about 1km off and keep a watch for the fast cat ferries in and out of Tarifa.. they don't hang about, the good news is you can spot their bridge decks over the harbour walls when they start moving.. Its a quick trip under engine as the tide will have you doing between 8 and 12kts depending on your normal cruising speed.
I never do it under sail alone unless its at least F4 on the Gib side but be aware by the time you reach Tarifa it's going to be F7 to F8.. by the time you reach Trafalgar its down to F2 or less.
The W coast of Portugal is not that bad.. most likely you will have N winds from St Vincent to Lisbon then a lot of calm/light weather from there on.. the swell can be big but rarely a problem and there are places you can duck into to await windows every 50/60nm if you need to.
If you want to sail it I suggest well offshore for steadier winds. Being lazy and often on a schedule I often motor it close inshore and it takes around 50hrs from St Vincent to Bayona.. my days of drifting happily along at 2-3kts are long gone.
I have never fouled a net but there are a lot of pot markers from just before Lisbon all the way to past Porto.
Have a good trip.
PS.. You can just go into Gib to refuel without clearing in.. just pull up to the fuel dock on the stbd side just before the marina, fill up on cheap fuel then head to the anchorage inside the breakwater on the other side of the runway.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 06:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Forgot to say, yes there are lots of pot markers, generally unlit and poorly lit but good vertical risers so not a lot of danger of fouling them - they extend many miles off shore - another reason to sail rather than motor

Ed

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 08:54   #5

There are 4 currents in the straits. If you get a book of tide tables you can use the currents to speed up your passage quite considerably.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 09:10   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Simon,
lots of good suggestions but there is one other thing you might like to consider. If yr boat is VAT paid and it is no longer in an EU location on 31 Dec it will then be subject to EU VAT if you ever want to go back to the EU. (It might even mean that your boat would end up with a lower secondhand value if it was no longer considered VAT paid for EU purposes.) I don't think the the complete rules on this have yet been worked out but it would be rater illogical for the UK to wish to charge you VAT if you brought the boat back in 2021, if yr original purchase showed UK VAT was originally paid in the UK several years beforehand. If you a member of the CA check with their RATS team. Very knowledgeable on this subject. RYA might also be able to help if you are a member.
Andrew
Old 25-06-2020, 09:22   #7

Boat: Outremer 42

It's a fun trip usually. I've done it twice and with thought given to grib files you can make it straightforward. Lots of places to stop but if not stopping, head offshore up the Portuguese coast rather than inland. Biscay - motored all the way across twice, sailed twice, no bad weather ever. You really shouldn't miss the Rias Baixas in Galicia though - wonderful place and while passing through I ended up spending two seasons there!
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 11:19   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Agree w Out. Take a look at yr charts and you will see the seafloor shelf along coast of Portugal from 4,000 to 300-400m occurs about 30-40 nm off the coast so while there are indeed some nice spots to stop on Portugal you will hv a better ride if you stay 50 nm from the coast. Further north before Finistere do not miss the Rias Baixas. Also Islas Cies if you can get the permit.
Andrew
Old 25-06-2020, 11:42   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Best avoid passing W off Portuguese coast between late May and mid-August. There head winds nearly guaranteed. Wind waves and swell as per wind conditions (I guess this is what you mentioned).

I am in Canary Islands now and can see the pattern is already in place and doing fine this year.

Best avoid crossing the Biscay late (at times September is already late, year dependent) - due to higher frequency of Westerly gales there and in the approaches.

To avoid nets, fishery and the bloody boom (!!!) stay well offshore. However if you stay way offshore this makes powering a no option.

disclaimer: I am a pro weather router. If at any point you need to discuss any difficult wetaher detail, you can send me a PM with your exact question. One time favour to all CF members ;-)

Take care, stay safe,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 13:13   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

First point is that it can be along trip! Plan to do it in chunks so a few days at sea followed by some time off in port, if you try and do it hopping from port to port it will take forever. I love the area around north Portugal and Spain both the Atlantic side and north shore of Spain, a week exploring that area would make a good half way break.
Other things to watch, most of the ports on the Atlantic coast of Portugal have very significant bars with strong tides that get closed in strong winds because of surf. Staying well out when crossing Biscay can also be a good stagey and maybe aiming to make landfall in Cornwall unless you want to cruise the North French coast, tides that side are pretty epic and it is very prone to fog.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 15:42   #11

Anecdotal advice MAY be good but why not buy/borrow some books on the subject and some weather/routing advice ? Look at some blogs.. and sites like Noonsite. Or join a global cruising club like the Ocean Cruising Club ?
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 16:18   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp48 View Post
Anecdotal advice MAY be good but why not buy/borrow some books on the subject and some weather/routing advice ? Look at some blogs.. and sites like Noonsite. Or join a global cruising club like the Ocean Cruising Club ?
anecdotal

adjective
1) (of an account or evidence) possibly not true or accurate because it is based on personal accounts rather than facts or research

source: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...lish/anecdotal

Q: Which of the advice in this thread is as you put it 'anecdotal'?

When you think something is anecdotal, simply point at the piece of advice you find not true or accurate.

I, for one, based my piece advice on sources like NP136, and Pub. 106.

And I can back my words with my education record and my experience as a rtw sailor.

What is your qualification to claim the evidence given in this thread is anecdotal?

You are belittling the Forum and its members.

barnakiel

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 02:59   #13

Egad... it was not my intent to disturb but I get Barnakiel's point. SORRY
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 03:28   #14

Boat: Jeanneau, 45DS

Thanks all for the continuing good advice and information - I am, of course, reading lots of books, pilots and charts - however, I always like to hear as much on the ground, real experience as I can - there's always something to learn - and some highly localised info to use. !
Simonradiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 08:19   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Barcelona to the Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp48 View Post
Are these also not Anecdotal..
Noonsite is anecdotal advise from cruisers as are blogs..
Were you aware some of the books on cruising N Spain and W Portugal were written by people who did the coast in a camper van.
Yes, my advice could be regarded as anecdotal if one is not aware I have sailed these coasts since 1996 and am a delivery skipper based out of Figuerra da Foz on the W Coast.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, barcelona