Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 16:37   #1

Boat: Outremer 55L
Are YouTubers wrecking it for the rest of us?

Many YouTube vloggers take their cameras into clearance offices, businesses, cafes, homes, special events and generally along the beach, street or wherever else they are, including their own and other people’s boats.

While I’m generally a live and let live person, I’m concerned that especially in places that are on the main cruising routes the proliferation of cameras and video are going to poison local relations with cruisers. Are all cruisers going to be considered business people making a living off poorer people? Do they get consent from every person they capture? Do they share their revenue?

The coral and fish and beaches and ocean and boats don’t care about being used to sell a product (the ‘reality show’ that many people seem determined to create). But what about all the people? Isn’t that exploitation? For those who personally document for themselves perhaps OK if not intrusive, but for the rest running Internet businesses I’m not OK.

The one time we mixed with a couple who have a relatively popular channel they casually asked if we’d mind to appear in their video. We said yes, we do mind and don’t want to be splashed across the Internet, they were surprised but respected it and put the cameras away.

I guess my desire for privacy is archaic.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 16:52   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Are YouTubers wrecking it for the rest of us?

No, not an issue in general.

Personally I'd also say no.

I do think facial reco should be banned
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 17:02   #3

Boat: Pearson 323

People of various cultures will get very upset at being photographed without having given permission. Tourists in Morocco, for example, generally don't make that mistake twice, lest they get their equipment and dignity smashed.
There may be folk too polite to say anything, but in my experience most make their fury known quick enough.
Santiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 17:03   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
...I guess my desire for privacy is archaic.
No, not archaic. But I do think we are all being trained to believe this is the case. Good for you for pushing back.

I wouldn't say tubers are wrecking it for the rest of us. I do think most (not all) are selling a false image of the cruising lifestyle, but that's nothing new. The glossy mags have been doing this for decades.

And I do think there is a fine line between documenting and exploitation. I certainly hope all vloggers take care to get prior approval for all personal imaging (even though it's not necessarily needed from a legal standpoint).
Old 09-12-2019, 17:06   #5

Boat: Cross 39

Are there really that many more video or photos being taken? It seems so based on how youtube targets my feed but that isn't a fair assessment. I see a lot of cameras out around my part of the world but most of that doesn't end up on youtube. Only a fraction of tourists seem to publish. Time I've spent in Panama seemed the same. Everyone has a camera and takes pictures and video but I don't recall noticing anything that looked like it'd be on a different level. Is it a noticeably increase of footage being taken?

I have always been curious how it is viewed by the native people who have to live with this tourism industry. I don't work in the tourism industry but most of the 'youtube stuff' I've seen about my local area is positive and likely is just free advertising. If it were to come to being personally exploited I'd definitely have an issue. But I don't think there are any laws about people filming in public spaces in Canada and publishing that work. Living in a place inundated by cruisers all year long is out of my experience.
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 17:11   #6

Boat: Hanse 430e

I'm just pissed off that they all film going to the market and call it Provisioning. Like its a special and important thing. Oooohh we are going Provisioning today, cone along and we will show you how.

Well that and swimming pigs. Cant stand swimming pigs.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 17:38   #7

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Good luck with that, not gonna happen in our wonderful 21st century world. Us N. Americans have it good so far. I think they say an average person will be seen 70 times on cctv in Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
Well that and swimming pigs. Cant stand swimming pigs.
Here, here. There were interesting the first time, even if they were just pigs. Mildly amusing when they bit someone the second or third time. By now they have almost put me off wanting to go to the Bahamas altogether. Stupid pigs.
Old 09-12-2019, 17:59   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

I can remember a face, just can't remember a name
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 18:25   #9

Boat: no boat any more

...in german we have a beautiful expression for people so eager to get into the limelight: “rampensau“ - could be translated into stage-sow...
Old 09-12-2019, 18:26   #10

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

If all the people captured in professionally shot travel programs had to be asked for permission before publishing, nobody would make travel programmes.

Imagine - “This is the biggest baseball stadium in America” , pan camera around a packed stadium. “OK, lets go get their permission”.

What about news footage - “The protest in downtown Hong Kong is gathering momentum, the crowd is expected to reach 200,000 by lunchtime . . . .” - pan camera over city square.

Is YouTube any different?
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 18:34   #11

Boat: Hunter 35.5

My understanding is that most ask for permission. Not for the average person on the street but for things filmed in private space. I think many people say no. Most vloggers put out a 12ish min video every week. Lots happens we never see.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 19:14   #12

Boat: Vancouver 27

Seems hard to comment on the ethics of cruise vlogging in any general way, tho i reckon youtube is pretty low on the list of ills effecting the cruising lifestyle writ large. Good on those who do it respectfully and do it well enough to fund their adventures. I know how difficult it can be trying to cruise while working a job.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 23:13   #13

Instagram and similar social media are ruining the world for sure. I imagine vloggers and youtube channels are a drop in the bucket by comparison. Especially cruising vlogs. I could be wrong.

Population growth, rising affluence and big drops in airfare and other travel costs are big factors as well. The world is changing at a frightening pace.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:52   #14

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

The world is changing, cameras have become prolific and relatively cheap, it means they are everywhere and this is not going to change.

I do a YouTube channel, have a few million views between all my stuff, there are times I do record people without their permission, but that is usually when they are being a first rate idiot!

Generally speaking people know what the deal is when you whip out a camera and start filming, and it is painfully obvious if you are paying attention who does and does not want to be filmed.

When it comes to sailing specific channels, most are going with the formula of sailboat+titties+tropical beaches=success!

The reality is though that gets boring quickly.

Then on the other hands you have guys like Erik Aanderaa with NBJS doing hard core sailing and filming it.

He has pulled down almost 1.2 million views on this video for a reason.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:58   #15

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Just some random thoughts.

For probably the last twenty years I have been flying quadcopters and hexcopters which technically the US Government legally defines as Unmanned Ariel Vehicles, often shortened to UAVs and commonly are called drones. Back when I had to source parts and build quads from the ground up they were uncommon an cameras UAVs carried were a lot less capable my image quality was no where near todays often stunning images. I am sure lots of us have been impressed by the vids made using off the shelf and affordable UAVs.

Same thing goes of todays cameras that are much smaller and less intrusive than what was available even a few years ago. Things have progressed so fast that capturing raw footage that would have been impossible even five years ago is not possible by folks with little or know technical skill on budgets that are tiny compared to what was needed in the past. As others have noted we don't really know the full extent of what governments are doing in terms of covert surveillance but with what seems to be unlimited budgets and the ability to create and use cutting edge cameras and software one must assume it is far more intrusive that what the consumer has.

Another area of concern to me is advances in post production that allows what is commonly called deepfake vids. Even with cheap post production software it is easy to alter reality to your own take. This is an area where advances are being made so fast it is hard to keep up.

If you think a lot of youtube sailing vids don't represent the reality of cruising just wait till we have deepfake vids of babes in bikinis in force ten conditions single handing maxi tris in the Southern Ocean.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass