Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 04:47   #31

Re: Advise on Australia to Indonesia sailing plan

Did you end up buying a boat? And where are you now?
Dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:26   #32

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Advise on Australia to Indonesia sailing plan

I know this is a cruising forum and I in no way want to put you off from cruising, it is a fantastic way of life.

I would just like to add a few comments. We cruised Sulawesi, some years ago, before the political situation at the eastern end of Borneo became unstable. Getting from Borneo or the Philippines is now not without risk and sailing to sites such a Sipidan and anywhere close to the Sula Archipeligo is no longer recommended.

The Jewel in crown for diving is without doubt Lembeh. We spent several weeks there and it is up there with the very best. It is also difficult to dive there from your own boat. The anchorages are very deep and the currents strong. We found a secure sport over dead coral in one of the few bays. It would then be our mission each day to set off in our dinghy to the many and varied dive sites. You need to be kitted up in wet suits, you need a powerful RIB and enough tanks if intending to do more than one dive.

There are many dive lodges in the strait with the majority only accessible by boat (dinghy). There are very few roads. Great for dinner and drinks and to meet other divers and also to arrange some of the more difficult dives where surface support is a must. Again the trip will wet and wild.

We also spent a short time in Bunaken, IMHO the diving is poor compared to Lembeh and the places listed below. The regulations and the requirement to use buoys very close to the rocks are not geared for cruising boats.

It is possible to go from here to Raja Ampat but the best sailing season does not always correspond to the best diving season.

Despite what many would have you believe paper work is not difficult in Indonesia especially if you are travelling as a single yacht. The various officials could not have been nicer and we were neither asked for or proffered any favours. I now understand that there is no longer a requirement for a CAIT (cruising permit that had to be obtained in advance). If in doubt contact the embassy direct they are very helpful.

We are sailors first and divers second but we carry all our own gear and a compressor on board and do our own servicing.

If I were a diver first and a sailor second I would probably fly and or join a live aboard dive vessel, especially in Lembeh and Raja Ampat. You could then visit Palau, Philippines, Swallows Reef (Spratly Islands) and even Bali (Noosa Penida). It took us many years to visit these on our own boat with a very high sailing to diving ratio.

Check outhttps://divehappy.com/indonesia/ocea...t-2008-part-1/

I have no commercial or financial interest other than the fact they lent us their dive master and their 6m RIB for a day for some of the more challenging dives in Lembeh.

What ever you decide enjoy it, it is fantastic.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Indonesia, sail, sailing