Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2023, 14:48   #31

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: 79th Street Boat Basin

For anyone coming down the Hudson or East River on a sailboat please do not consider the Harlem River as it has 15 low bridges and a rather strong current. Go around southern tip of Manhattan (around the battery) although longer and also a strong current that you want with you, will be rewarded with great views of city/Statue of Liberty and you will fit under the 8 bridges you will pass. (nine if going to lower bay).
If you are looking anchor/moor and find City island noisy or more likely bumpy just go a mile or so SE into Manhasset bay as it is very much protected with good holding and moorings as well as restaurants. supermarkets, Y clubs, West marine and they actually welcome cruisers. A little biased as is my home base.
City Island, Manhasset bay, Little Neck bay all very close to Throgs Neck bridge where the the LI sound ends and East River begins.
But still all about 3 hours from SW Staten Island with the current.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 16:10   #32

Boat: Dufour 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
For anyone coming down the Hudson or East River on a sailboat please do not consider the Harlem River as it has 15 low bridges and a rather strong current. Go around southern tip of Manhattan (around the battery) although longer and also a strong current that you want with you, will be rewarded with great views of city/Statue of Liberty and you will fit under the 8 bridges you will pass. (nine if going to lower bay).
If you are looking anchor/moor and find City island noisy or more likely bumpy just go a mile or so SE into Manhasset bay as it is very much protected with good holding and moorings as well as restaurants. supermarkets, Y clubs, West marine and they actually welcome cruisers. A little biased as is my home base.
City Island, Manhasset bay, Little Neck bay all very close to Throgs Neck bridge where the the LI sound ends and East River begins.
But still all about 3 hours from SW Staten Island with the current.
Absolutely right! I mis-typed and should have said Hell's Gate, which is where your timing is important getting into East River. Spuyten Duyvil only works for power boats because of bridges.

Nice thing is if you come down the Hudson or the East River with the nice if you take your time you can catch the reversing tide back up the other side. Winds around lower Manhattan, esp. to the west, are pretty variable though and motor is usually needed.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 16:39   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s FUN doing Hell Gate at max current.

Fastest your boat will ever go over land for hours

Actually one of my favorite spots to pass through
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 17:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It’s FUN doing Hell Gate at max current.

Fastest your boat will ever go over land for hours

Actually one of my favorite spots to pass through
I do it every few years and I am amazed at the architectural changes on both shores every time...and 11 knots over the ground is always fun.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:19   #35

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Thanks for the additional tips and ideas.

I agree that perhaps July and August might not be the best months to visit and will give greater consideration to September. I just need to give myself adequate chances to get back to NS late season to haul out.

I also appreciate the the marinas on the Authur Kill might be located in an area a bit too industrial and should probably get a nicer docking/mooring environment as opposed to being geographical close to my friend.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Jonathan
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat