Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2009, 23:23   #1

Thumbs up Yacht Deliveries

Hi all I am a newby to this forum. I admit I have not read EVERY thread on this forum, so I am sorry if this has been discussed before.

I heart that the sailing charter companies in the Caribbean pay people to sail their boats to the Med at the end of the season, and then back to the Carib at the end of the Med season. Is it true? Can one make a few dollars supplemental income doing this? How much would each delivery pay?

I am currently an airline pilot, thinking of retiring and taking up the cruising life. Just looking at some options to supplement the cruising budget. Any info or advice appreciated.

Thanks
biggles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 01:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
From my experience as a delivery skipper: Generally the company will only pay the skipper on deliveries - the best the crew will get is travel and all found on board, the worst is that the crew will have to pay a contribution to onboard expenses plus their travel.

Getting a job as a delivery skipper takes time and you need to have very good experience of different waters, conditions and a substantial number of sea miles logged.

Hope this helps

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 05:07   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Very difficult for a newbie to make a living delivering boats. Most major charter companies have delivery contracts with delivery firms who have the skippers. Only the skipper gets paid. The others do it for the "experience". Some small charter outfits even charge crew for the experience when re-positioning boats. Sorry to say not much call for flying experience in cruising. Now, if you were an airplane mechanic for small planes you might pick up a buck or two.
Old 27-07-2009, 05:36   #4

Boat: Boatless
Can I get a job delivering airliners transatlantic? I've got a sailboat Capt's ticket good for transatlantic deliveries.
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15   #5

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Test Question HE'LL KNOW The answer to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Can I get a job delivering airliners transatlantic? I've got a sailboat Capt's ticket good for transatlantic deliveries.

Sure!
1st Test Question...

What are the 3 most useless things to a PILOT?

Answer:

Airspace above You
Runway Behind You
Gas on the Ground.

About the only cross correlation 'tween the 2 are navigation techniques, chart reading, & weather. Going 6kts vs. 600 is the ultimate tortoise vs. hare.

Agreed w/all other previous posters...ck'ed in to the possibilty 20+ yrs ago, doesn't sound like things have changed 1 iota. As long as people are willing to work for DIRT CHEAP Money(captains) & PAY, to WORK (as in most "crew" scenarios)...the charter companies have no need to change the business model.
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:10   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Hi Biggles, i am a delivery skiper , and yes the charter companies pay for move boats up and down, how much??? well depend of the company, i know the worst is MOORINGS , in my last delivery from france to martinique i meet a MOORINGS skyper sailing a brand new benetau to BVI and MOORINGS pay just 3000 Euros for the delivery!!! i charge for a 40 foot about 7000 Euros, plus fuel and marinas expenses,
The deliverys timetable are tight , and the boats most of the time are in good condition, the same depend of the company, the sweet way is in summer , sail to azores and continue East, the worst is in winter from Europe back to the Caribbean , this year i delivery a brand new LAGOON 38 FROM Sables d Olone to Martinique in January, and croosing Biscay Bay in winter is not funy, hey but is a good money and if you like blue water sail just contact the charter companys , some times a friend working in one of this companys help to find the right delivery.
Cheers
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45   #7

Translated that's not much?

3000Euros = $4,315.19 for about a month (depending on the vessel, cats are faster).

Currency Calculator
(as of today anyway)

& that can (will initially) be w/a crew You don't know, You'll need to be multi-lingual, and it's a 24/7 "job" w/100% of the responsibility, for everything.

$4315.us/4.3wks per mo. = $1003.wk before taxes.

Biggles, guessing that's a really righteous cut in pay?
Old 05-08-2009, 21:44   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have heard way too many stories of owners not paying or deducting for "alleged" damage. Or leaving the Delivererers stranded with no way to get home....renigging on transportation.

I would only do it for Cash up front
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:58   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
If you want to get such a role it is of course possible.
Get qualified.
Get some experience a delivery crew.
Get and maintain references in your CV.
Get the CV to the larger delivery firms plus maintain constant contact with all the main charter firms.
One day someone will get caught short and need you.
And away you go.

Most charter firms ask for part payment plus cost of fuel / expenses from a boat owner in advance. No boat owner would pay cash up front, usually once the job is done.

Good luck

JOHN
Old 06-08-2009, 05:59   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
If you want to get such a role it is of course possible.
Get qualified.
Get some experience a delivery crew.
Get and maintain references in your CV.
Get the CV to the larger delivery firms plus maintain constant contact with all the main charter firms.
One day someone will get caught short and need you.
And away you go.

Most charter firms ask for part payment plus cost of fuel / expenses from a boat owner in advance. No boat owner would pay cash up front, usually once the job is done.

Good luck

JOHN
& Biggles...
rule #1 for getting paid in full
DON'T BREAK ANYTHING!