Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 23:38   #16

Re: Where to register my new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Don't register it anywhere. Get it Coast Guard documented. Done and done. After you've done the loop and have owned the vessel for more than 6 months you can register it in Florida sans sales tax, however if your plan is to go to Mexico then the CG documentation should be more than enough. Just remember the documentation does not apply to your dink, if it has a motor that is. Register it wherever you buy the boat and be done with it. Ours only cost 30 bucks in MD. We have owned our boat for almost three years and have yet to register it anywhere. Just don't hang around anywhere more than 6 months. Good luck!

Will
+1

Except if you use the dinghy as the ships' tender, i.e. EXCLUSIVELY for ship to shore travel, you don't need to register it with the state.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 00:48   #17

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Why not register in Mexico? Since you are from Mexico and the boat is going to ultimately wind up in Mexico. Don't listen to all the talk about sales tax, foreign flagged vessels don't pay state sales tax! You will have a us cruising permit that used to cost about $27 per year.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 03:44   #18

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexLife-BstnRts View Post
So I have to register it in each state I pass through? Ain't going to happen.
I happen to be a dual citizen of US and Mexico but I doubt that will help considering the current administration's love of that country.
Your Mexican citizenship is 100% irrelevant when you are in the US.

Was the same when Obama was president and all other presidents before Trump. When you are in the US only your US citizenship is relevant. You would be committing a federal offence if you traveled in the US as an foreign citizen.

All my children are dual US citizens. They put away their foreign passport and proudly fly the red white and blue when they are in the US. It is the smart and law abiding thing to do.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 03:47   #19

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post

Was the same when Obama was president and all other presidents before Trump. When you are in the US only your US citizenship is relevant. You would be committing a federal offence if you traveled in the US as an foreign citizen.

All my children are dual US citizens. They put away their foreign passport and proudly fly the red white and blue when they are in the US. It is the smart and law abiding thing to do.

Sales tax is based on the boats citizenship, not the persons.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 05:59   #20
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

This is off subject but when I see the name Ajijic I cannot resist so, Hola Tapatio! The folks built a home in Rancho del Oro in the early 70's. They lived there through the early 90's until they had both passed. I would fly or drive down several times a year to visit. I have very fond memories of a beautiful part of the world and it's beautiful people. Best of luck registering your boat.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:06   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to MexLife-BstnRts

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
This is off subject but when I see the name Ajijic I cannot resist so, Hola Tapatio! The folks built a home in Rancho del Oro in the early 70's. They lived there through the early 90's until they had both passed. I would fly or drive down several times a year to visit. I have very fond memories of a beautiful part of the world and it's beautiful people. Best of luck registering your boat.

I will miss the place during our cruise, but looking forward to getting back here again next year. You ought to come back for a visit someday.
MexLife-BstnRts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post

Of course you're right and I wouldn't deny my US citizenship for a minute. I was just being slightly sarcastic about 45. Sorry for bringing politics into the discussion. I appreciate your and everyone else's comments so far in this thread.
Old 20-03-2017, 06:38   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
+1

Except if you use the dinghy as the ships' tender, i.e. EXCLUSIVELY for ship to shore travel, you don't need to register it with the state.
If that actually exists in the CFR, I'd print it out and take a copy with you, cause the FWC is unlikely to believe it, and even then I'd bet they are likely to tell you that is Fed, not Fl.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:41   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would research the tax law in Fl, I think if the boat is out of state for 6 mos, no tax is due?
I would get an address in Fl through St Brendan's isle and become a resident of the State of Fl and register the boat in Fl, being sure to play the tax game.

Or, why not register it in Mexico? I have no idea about Mex rules of course, but if your taking it home, likely at some time it will become Mexican registered? So why not start there?
Old 20-03-2017, 07:57   #25

Registering in Mexico isn't very easy or inexpensive. There's a 16% IVA (VAT). Bringing the boat in on a Temporary Import Permit is good for 10 years and is very inexpensive. I just need a place in the US to document it from. Perhaps where one of my kids live, but then I'd be subject to that state's sales tax.
Old 20-03-2017, 10:14   #26

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

I believe foreign registered boats entering US waters with the intent of cruising will require a cruising permit. Others may know the details on this.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 11:02   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexLife-BstnRts View Post
Registering in Mexico isn't very easy or inexpensive. There's a 16% IVA (VAT). Bringing the boat in on a Temporary Import Permit is good for 10 years and is very inexpensive. I just need a place in the US to document it from. Perhaps where one of my kids live, but then I'd be subject to that state's sales tax.
Research it, but I feel sure that if you buy a boat as a Fl resident and the boat says out of state for X length of time, no tax is due. On edit, I am not so sure that is a correct statement, I may be guilty of rumor mongering here, so be sure to do your own research, the tax thig as you know can bite you
You can use a mail forwarding service to establish Fl residency, I am using
https://www.sbimailservice.com/cruisers-home-port/ to do that, many, many people have done this.
However be sure to do your own research about the tax thing. In truth I just paid Fl tax when I bought mine, I didn't feel comfortable doing the tax dodge thing. Some call it tax avoidance and say its just smart business.

I believe this to be Fl tax code? At the time I bought out boat I was a Ga resident.

http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_libr...t/gt800005.pdf
Old 20-03-2017, 11:13   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can document a boat anywhere, but you have to register it also, maybe.
Fl gives you 90 days I think for registration?
So if your a USCG documented boat in Maryland, on your 90th day in Fl, your supposed to register it in Fl.
I know I keep on on the Fl thing, only because I know it, it may be that some other States boat tax may well be less than FL, however FL and others if you stay there may well hit you for tax.

It gets too complex for me, so I paid Fl their 6% and will become a Fl resident and hopefully will never have to worry about the tax thing.
Old 20-03-2017, 14:26   #29

I took a foreign registered boat through about half of the Great Loop in 2013. I tried the "this is a foreign registered boat" angle. It did not fly with state and local officials in the Midwest. Luckily the boat also had a current Minnesota registration and this extricated us from a few misunderstandings.

You don't need to register your boat in every state and it doesn't matter where you get your US state registration. Just get it in the cheapest state possible. With luck your new boat will already have state registration.

Don't give up on your trip. It is a magnificent trip. I recommend taking a side trip into Lake Superior if you have the time.
Old 20-03-2017, 17:43   #30

I just want to raise one more issue you might not have considered. The US CBP rules and procedures for foreign flagged boats varies between each CBP region. In my experience, this creates a real headache for foreign flagged boats.

The Great Loop will be lot easier of your boat only has state documentation and no foreign documentation. If your boat has foreign documentation you will have to obtain a cruising permit and you will have to contact CBP officials each time you move into a new CBP region.

In some CBP regions, the CBP will require you to call them every time you move the boat within the region. I you forget or inadvertantly move to a new CBP region they might raid you automatic weapons and bullet proof vests etc). Some US harbours (eg: Annapolis) report all new foreign flagged boats to the CBP upon arrival.

You are a US citizen so I would recommend you obtain US documentation while you are in the US. It is heavily subsidized by the government so it is cheap and easy. Why not?

Tags
boat