Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2019, 06:15   #91

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: What to do for college...

Many jobs in the military are technically oriented, and if that isn't your thing, you could be quite miserable. (kinda like having your computer stuck on a battery and solar thread only on CF 24/7/365. Many guys stuck on ships can talk tech non stop for hours on end)

Also many times as an officer (or high ranking enlisted) you have to deal with lots of people and their problems.

And as far as the retirement thing, many young military folks spend all their young years planning that retirement instead of living life for today.

Then others that stay in for 20 plus years can never seem to let go of the military thing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 00:24   #92

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

When I was in my 20s, I thought once about stopping my university studies. Now, I am very happy I did not but will cast off for my looong voyage this year in May.

I would always go for a higher education and learn sailing and repairing things next to my education. This is and was MY WAY.

I keepd fingers crossed that you may say in 20 years from now "I made the right decision"
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 05:45   #93

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Check out marine tech schools like the landing school in Maine https://www.landingschool.edu or Iris in RI https://iyrs.edu/ both have lots of scholarships.
Then get an ABYC certification.
It will be a lot less expensive. Many employers will pay your tuition. Yes that’s for real.
There are so many work opportunities in the marine trades. You can go anywhere , even working on yachts as an engineer. Good pay to do what you love.
BSMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 06:51   #94

Boat: Tomcat 6.2

Did you know that UDEL has a sailing club? Learn the basics among friends and other like minded kids. Many colleges and universities along the eastern seaboard have sailing teams and programs, some scholarships too. Another is College of Charleston, but that one is pricey.
You will find that you have to sail on days with little wind, too much wind, unexpected squalls, and all the other "fun" things about sailing. BUT, you will learn how to deal with the unexpected.
Baybaby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:01   #95
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

I have two daughters currently in college (one is a freshman and one is a sophomore).

I *firmly* believe that going into debt for a four year degree is absolutely crazy, and both girls found merit scholarships at the colleges they currently attend. One is a full-ride scholarship. She could have attended an "elite" college full-pay, but wisely chose the college that paid for her to attend for free through her master's degree.

She just scored an internship working alongside of kids from MIT and Northwestern, so she's glad she listened to her mom and didn't take on a quarter milliion dollars worth of debt in 4 years (because she was worried she wouldn't have the same opportunities that the elites did).

I also firmly believe that a college degree for an "ivory tower" degree (aka studio art, theater, or english lit) is useless. I can say this because I have an AA in English Lit and a BA in Studio Art. That piece of paper means next to nothing with regards to finding a job that pays for our boating hobby. Luckily I've been married to a guy with an advanced degree in CS for the last 25 years, so that has allowed us to use my abilities to their best without needing to depend on a paycheck from me. This was a deliberate choice from both of us, and we both chose well in a partner.

I have friends working in the trades who are making bank with an AA degree in radiology.

We are financially doing better than many of our friends who have degrees from elite colleges. Those colleges do have their place, and do provide an excellent education, but my best advice is to be ruthlessly pragmatic about what YOU want in life and how do you get there without being a slave to debt.

So, OP, TL;DR: find the best way to make what you are good at pay the bills, prioritize your desires, and don't go into too much debt.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:03   #96

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Get training in Diesel mechanics, hydraulics, and Marine wiring and electronics. Then you can cruise the world on your own boat, or as crew, or just work on boats in an area you like to live, Puget Sound, Vancouver Island, Chesapeake, the Med. As others have said, if you choose to go to university after that, you will be one of the few who have a hands on background. You will also be able to put yourself through college with a good paying job.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:06   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
Get training in Diesel mechanics, hydraulics, and Marine wiring and electronics. Then you can cruise the world on your own boat, or as crew, or just work on boats in an area you like to live, Puget Sound, Vancouver Island, Chesapeake, the Med. As others have said, if you choose to go to university after that, you will be one of the few who have a hands on background. You will also be able to put yourself through college with a good paying job.
What if he is more of an artist than a tech type person?

He would be absolutely miserable having a career in any of those areas.
Old 25-02-2019, 07:07   #98

Great question Jake, we will all give advice based on our experience. you might want to get a book about money, careers and the future. one of the best is "The Truth About Your Future: The Money Guide You Need Now, Later, and Much Later" by Ric Edelman (Author) he gives interesting information on investing in college, which may not be a valueable as it was in the past. all he best a you figure it out.
RH 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:09   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post

I also firmly believe that a college degree for an "ivory tower" degree (aka studio art, theater, or english lit) is useless. I can say this because I have an AA in English Lit and a BA in Studio Art. That piece of paper means next to nothing with regards to finding a job that pays for our boating hobby.
I think a degree (BA or MS) in English Literature would be very enjoyable and broaden your mind, but you'd need some sort of trade job to go along with it unless you want to be a teacher.
Old 25-02-2019, 07:17   #100
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I think a degree (BA or MS) in English Literature would be very enjoyable and broaden your mind, but you'd need some sort of trade job to go along with it unless you want to be a teacher.
The teaching profession these days is mostly miserable, according to my teacher friends. Many of them have left the profession due to requirements of "teaching to the test" and a complete lack of personal discretion with regards to how and what they teach.

"broadening one's mind" is such a Downton Abbey wealthy folk kind of mindset, in my opinion-most kids these days shouldn't be burdening themselves with massive debt for four years of undergraduate enlightenment.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:18   #101

Coast guard and naval academies ad suggested previously are great options but in my opinion a merchant marine college may fit you better. I’m a graduate from SUNY Maritime and it was a great decision. The school has a dingy and offshore sailing team. During the summer we did training cruises on our ship crossing the Atlantic and visiting great ports along the way. Many industry jobs are rotational so lots of time off. I currently work about 180 days a year but get paid a full year salary.
Just another option for you.
nysailor1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:23   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
The teaching profession these days is mostly miserable, according to my teacher friends. Many of them have left the profession due to requirements of "teaching to the test" and a complete lack of personal discretion with regards to how and what they teach.

"broadening one's mind" is such a Downton Abbey wealthy folk kind of mindset, in my opinion-most kids these days shouldn't be burdening themselves with massive debt for four years of undergraduate enlightenment.
Right, I didn't mean to run up a huge debt. The schooling for a Liberals Arts Degree would have to be with a scholarship, paid through some sort of teacher assistance thing, or the GI Bill.

My degree is a BA in History, but my job is as a tech manager due to electronics training received in the military. Teaching college literature sure sounds much more rewarding than tech manager or technician for some folks.

On the other hand, you have folks on here that can talk tech non stop for hours and they would probably hate teaching college lit.

As far as being a teacher, that would be up to the person
Old 25-02-2019, 07:34   #103

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

#1 Don't go to college expecting a hobby to get you a job. I think just about everyone is tired of the millennia who went to college got a degree, and debt, and then says "I can't find a job" with a degree in interpretive dance or some other worthless subject. You can get degrees in lot's of amusing subjects, I had a friend who graduated with "Composition and Rhetoric" he runs a honey-dipper truck now. Bottom line, if you want a job that uses your degree, make sure there are jobs first.

I have 6 years of college, I paid my own way working as a waiter during the school year, at the ski resort in winter, and as a white water rafting guide in summer. Best years of my life, and I had no debt. Sure it took 6 years, I wish it had taken longer.
Medical school was a kick in the ass for four years, then residency for another 4. After 14 years of "higher education," I had a medical diploma and a $350k debt. If I ever invent a time machine the first thing I will do is go back and slap 22 years old me in the face and give myself a bit of advice.
You can trade time for money, it's called work, but you'll never be able to trade it back. Once you have spent your time, it's gone and you will never ever be able to work hard enough to buy it back.
Things are not experiences. Sure some things bring us great pleasure, but it really is the experiences that matter. It seems like you have the correct focus here. Worry less about what your education will get you, and more about what it will let you do.
Take your time in college, spend it well, no need to get out in 4, no need to go all at once.
More specifically to your question. Ocean studies with an emphasis on fisheries and over-harvesting. Almost any STEM major with a marine focus. The person who invents low energy simple reliable desalination on a large scale will save millions if not billions of lives.
Having two daughters about to make the leap to college I will tell you I am not pushing them to do it. If they wanted to take up saturated diving I would support it.
Welding, refrigeration, electrical, large electric marine motor repairman, all seem like great fields.
To put in for my own field NEVER BE A DOCTOR!! It's too long and harsh. 85% of doctors wish they had not gone into the field. PA school that's where it's at, and highly mobile. I see adds all the time for a PA needed in Samoa, Guam, Saipan, USVI, NZ, Australia, Iceland etc.

I wish I had 10% of the foresight you do when I was 16. You'll do fine.
DockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:49   #104

Boat: Schucker 436

Sailing is an expensive venture, so getting a strong education is your first priority. Living on a boat and going to a college near a marina might work if you can get a scholarship. I live in Charleston, SC and the marinas are walking distance to the college. I spent 42 years with the USCG, but spent a lot of time seeing the world through a port hole. My dream was always to be anchored in a sailboat in some of the beautiful places I saw. The more education you get, the better you wil be able to help people where ever you go on a sailboat. It could be medical or mechanical. There is nothing better than being able to help sailors fix their boat problems with proper training. It might get you a delicious dinner. Languages are important, and communication skills will open the whole world to you. I was stationed in Italy twice, and Spain once, so traveling allowed me to communicate with people from all over. Most Americans aren't exposed to other cultures, so get a strong world history background before you open your mouth. The financial side of life is about fourth grade math level. Spend less than you make and stay focused on your dream. I did everything the hard way when it comes to education. Many night schools. Get that college degree before you fall in love, and don't finish owing more than a house would cost, or you will never get caught up. I would bet you can get a lot of credits on line now.I ended up with a strong electrical/mechanical background and that's very important around boats.
RUSTYNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:49   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mundok View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently 16 years old and living in Lewes, Delaware on the Delaware Bay. I've been sailing since age 10 and got a 1992 Catalina 14.2 for my birthday last year. I know I want to sail as soon as possible and live aboard. I want to set myself up to sail the world one day and came to the forum for advice on how to do it. Just looking for ideas on what to get a degree in a where to tour this spring or even what any liveaboards did for college. Really excited to get out of high school and experience the world!

Thanks,
Jake Mundok
If your grades are good enough and you want to "See the World" check into the Naval Academy and have your college paid for! Simple enough!!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote