Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2019, 14:44   #46

Boat: olsen / ericson 34
Re: What to do for college...

Jake

For 16 years of age, you have one heck of a good head on your shoulders. You have a dream, and a passion . If you can make a living and a career in what ever nautical field you select....life is going to be rewarding .

Education toward a positive future is a good place to start. You have a wealth of suggestions, and lot to think about.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, of course, I am going to toss in another idea and some factual positive stories.

You might check into the Coast Guard Academy . You can get an education and experience in one of their many available fields. Or many of their available fields.

Who knows, maybe Texas A and M, may have an affiliation with the Coast Guard, or spend a few minutes talking to a recruiter. Or possibly Texas A and M, may be able to help start your career after you graduate.

Perhaps , you can get a full ride scholarship, or what ever program may work for you.
With the Coast Guard, Pay back is that you will have an obligation of active duty time. However, you will be gaining excellent experience, that will look good on a resume after you have your active duty time is completed .

USCG

1. You will have a resume of training, degree, and a few years of real live experience
2. You will have been hauling in paychecks every month on active duty .
3. You will have great benifits that you might not understand now, but will be
invaluable in your future life.
* Like the VA Health Care for medical and health issues for life.
* GI Bill for buying a home
* GI Bill for further education in any field that you might want work after
discharge.

* You certainly will be traveling, and living in different areas and duty stations

* You will be living your dream .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I was not in the Coast Guard, but many years ago, 1964 , I had joined the
U.S. Naval Air. Saw some of the world for the first time. After discharge from
active duty, I was working in high explosives and found that the GI Bill would pay
for me to finish college. I had an AA degree in journalism before volunteering for
the service.

I did not want to go back to college. I found that the GI Bill would pay for 90 % of my flight training, Commercial, Instrument, Multi engine and CFI ( flight instructor ).

It took two plus years to go thru all of those ratings. The result was nearly 40 yrs.
as a flight instructor, charter pilot, corporate pilot and air combat instructor flying fighters in 5 an 6 G dogfights. The air combat was the last 17 years, until I was in my 60's.

I know this is flying, but dont give up on me. I also wanted to sail . I did not have a boat, and from my flying, I like learning from the professionals. I wanted to learn seamanship, sailing, and navigation. And , as most of us, wanted to sail the world.

How was I going to that. I joined an excellent sailing club, nothing to do with ASA, since they had not been created at that time. The training was excellent, and there I was sailing when not flying . Eventually, I was hired on as an instructor and charter capt.

It took 5 years to gain the 720 days , documented sea time, and sit for my
100 ton U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Officer's license.

I had two parallel careers that I absolutely loved . Flying and Sailing. Every day, I could hardly wait to get to whatever one of them was on the schedule for that day.

Think of the TREE OF LIFE...that tree has hundreds of branches, and we can chose this one, or that one, and next that one over there, etc. In other words, every choice that we make in life , puts us where we are today. We did ourselves, we studied and worked and lived adventure every day for many decades.

What has happened , due to those choices.

1. I did not volunteer for the military for any rewards. I needed to get on a responsible life style. No one urged me into my decision to do that. However,
by my serving two years, and being a vietnam vet, I was able to use the GI Bill for
my flight training. I retired with 6500 hrs of PIC, and 2500 of that and 17 years flying for Air Combat USA.

SAILING AND MOTOR VESSELS How did all that work out ?

2. Joining the Newport Sailing Club and eventually getting my 100 ton, which on the
5th issue ( every 5 yrs ) the U.S.C.G advanced to 500 tons.

For nearly 40 years, I have been very dedicated as an instructor, and charter capt, and leader of flotillas in the south pacific, and caribbean. Other areas, Australia, Tahiti, Tonga, Mexico, Calif coast and off shore islands. the Bahamas, BVI ( 16 trips ), French West Indies, Windwards and Grenadines, Ireland and Greece. y

Both of the concurrent careers have blessed me with not only fabulous memories, but
gaining great friends, and my special lady , Erica of 35 years, sailor and pilot ,

The above is merely to let you know, if you have a dream, and you plan, and work toward that goal, YOU CAN ACHIEVE IT ! What ever it takes. And it will take
work, study , dedication, and experience .

As to how you attain those goals of yours, that is up to you. But , it appears that you have some excellent ideas, and lots of encouragement from the other posters on this board.

Now, before closing. Sometimes in life, when you tell others, buddies or family, or even strangers what your dreams are, they can be negative and non supportive.

What is the solution. Attain your goals, stand on your own. Actions and results speak loudly to the disbelievers.

Others , like the posters on this forum, will be strongly encouraging you, and helping with their very honest ideas.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will share one other story with you. This is related to flying the fighter planes.
But, the same idea.

I had just finished an air combat fighter pilot for a day mission. Had taxied up to our tie downs in front of our offices at Fullerton, Ca.

I saw a dad, his 8 year old daughter, and the younger brother standing on the ramp watching us shut down . I walked into the base operations office and was told I had the next briefing .

I thought that it would be the dad, who was flying the 5 and 6 G dogfights.

Nope, it was Katrina, the little 8 yr old young lady. At the briefing I asked her how she decided to climb into a fighter plane, and have the stick , fly formation, gun site tracking, basic fighter maneuvers, and 6 full on G pulling dogfights :

This little girl, 8 yrs old, looked up at me, and said.

I am going to go to the AIR FORCE ACADEMY, and become a fighter pilot, and then an astronaut . Not one word of doubt. Kat wound up flying many missions with us, with the instructor next to her. We piled up several seat cushions so she could see the gunsite, and get a visual on her opponent. She had to use our adult gear, and when she walked across the ramp , she looked like a parachute wearing a helmet.

Many years later, again I was taxing up and shut down. I grabbed my chute and was walking toward the office de- brief the guest pilots.

Standing there, outside the hangar, was the dad, and now a young woman of 18 or 19. Katrina had just completed her first year at the Air Force Academy !.

I walked over and gave her a huge hug, an yes there was a tear in my eye.

Point being, Jake, do what ever it takes to attain your dreams and goals.
Stay positive, and full of energy and just flat do it .

Never can tell when someday you will be sailing into marina, tie up, and start visiting with a stranger, and that stranger just might be one of the posters on this forum.

Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 19:17   #47

Boat: Catalina Capri 14.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Jake

For 16 years of age, you have one heck of a good head on your shoulders. You have a dream, and a passion . If you can make a living and a career in what ever nautical field you select....life is going to be rewarding .

Education toward a positive future is a good place to start. You have a wealth of suggestions, and lot to think about.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, of course, I am going to toss in another idea and some factual positive stories.

You might check into the Coast Guard Academy . You can get an education and experience in one of their many available fields. Or many of their available fields.

Who knows, maybe Texas A and M, may have an affiliation with the Coast Guard, or spend a few minutes talking to a recruiter. Or possibly Texas A and M, may be able to help start your career after you graduate.

Perhaps , you can get a full ride scholarship, or what ever program may work for you.
With the Coast Guard, Pay back is that you will have an obligation of active duty time. However, you will be gaining excellent experience, that will look good on a resume after you have your active duty time is completed .

USCG

1. You will have a resume of training, degree, and a few years of real live experience
2. You will have been hauling in paychecks every month on active duty .
3. You will have great benifits that you might not understand now, but will be
invaluable in your future life.
* Like the VA Health Care for medical and health issues for life.
* GI Bill for buying a home
* GI Bill for further education in any field that you might want work after
discharge.

* You certainly will be traveling, and living in different areas and duty stations

* You will be living your dream .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I was not in the Coast Guard, but many years ago, 1964 , I had joined the
U.S. Naval Air. Saw some of the world for the first time. After discharge from
active duty, I was working in high explosives and found that the GI Bill would pay
for me to finish college. I had an AA degree in journalism before volunteering for
the service.

I did not want to go back to college. I found that the GI Bill would pay for 90 % of my flight training, Commercial, Instrument, Multi engine and CFI ( flight instructor ).

It took two plus years to go thru all of those ratings. The result was nearly 40 yrs.
as a flight instructor, charter pilot, corporate pilot and air combat instructor flying fighters in 5 an 6 G dogfights. The air combat was the last 17 years, until I was in my 60's.

I know this is flying, but dont give up on me. I also wanted to sail . I did not have a boat, and from my flying, I like learning from the professionals. I wanted to learn seamanship, sailing, and navigation. And , as most of us, wanted to sail the world.

How was I going to that. I joined an excellent sailing club, nothing to do with ASA, since they had not been created at that time. The training was excellent, and there I was sailing when not flying . Eventually, I was hired on as an instructor and charter capt.

It took 5 years to gain the 720 days , documented sea time, and sit for my
100 ton U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Officer's license.

I had two parallel careers that I absolutely loved . Flying and Sailing. Every day, I could hardly wait to get to whatever one of them was on the schedule for that day.

Think of the TREE OF LIFE...that tree has hundreds of branches, and we can chose this one, or that one, and next that one over there, etc. In other words, every choice that we make in life , puts us where we are today. We did ourselves, we studied and worked and lived adventure every day for many decades.

What has happened , due to those choices.

1. I did not volunteer for the military for any rewards. I needed to get on a responsible life style. No one urged me into my decision to do that. However,
by my serving two years, and being a vietnam vet, I was able to use the GI Bill for
my flight training. I retired with 6500 hrs of PIC, and 2500 of that and 17 years flying for Air Combat USA.

SAILING AND MOTOR VESSELS How did all that work out ?

2. Joining the Newport Sailing Club and eventually getting my 100 ton, which on the
5th issue ( every 5 yrs ) the U.S.C.G advanced to 500 tons.

For nearly 40 years, I have been very dedicated as an instructor, and charter capt, and leader of flotillas in the south pacific, and caribbean. Other areas, Australia, Tahiti, Tonga, Mexico, Calif coast and off shore islands. the Bahamas, BVI ( 16 trips ), French West Indies, Windwards and Grenadines, Ireland and Greece. y

Both of the concurrent careers have blessed me with not only fabulous memories, but
gaining great friends, and my special lady , Erica of 35 years, sailor and pilot ,

The above is merely to let you know, if you have a dream, and you plan, and work toward that goal, YOU CAN ACHIEVE IT ! What ever it takes. And it will take
work, study , dedication, and experience .

As to how you attain those goals of yours, that is up to you. But , it appears that you have some excellent ideas, and lots of encouragement from the other posters on this board.

Now, before closing. Sometimes in life, when you tell others, buddies or family, or even strangers what your dreams are, they can be negative and non supportive.

What is the solution. Attain your goals, stand on your own. Actions and results speak loudly to the disbelievers.

Others , like the posters on this forum, will be strongly encouraging you, and helping with their very honest ideas.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will share one other story with you. This is related to flying the fighter planes.
But, the same idea.

I had just finished an air combat fighter pilot for a day mission. Had taxied up to our tie downs in front of our offices at Fullerton, Ca.

I saw a dad, his 8 year old daughter, and the younger brother standing on the ramp watching us shut down . I walked into the base operations office and was told I had the next briefing .

I thought that it would be the dad, who was flying the 5 and 6 G dogfights.

Nope, it was Katrina, the little 8 yr old young lady. At the briefing I asked her how she decided to climb into a fighter plane, and have the stick , fly formation, gun site tracking, basic fighter maneuvers, and 6 full on G pulling dogfights :

This little girl, 8 yrs old, looked up at me, and said.

I am going to go to the AIR FORCE ACADEMY, and become a fighter pilot, and then an astronaut . Not one word of doubt. Kat wound up flying many missions with us, with the instructor next to her. We piled up several seat cushions so she could see the gunsite, and get a visual on her opponent. She had to use our adult gear, and when she walked across the ramp , she looked like a parachute wearing a helmet.

Many years later, again I was taxing up and shut down. I grabbed my chute and was walking toward the office de- brief the guest pilots.

Standing there, outside the hangar, was the dad, and now a young woman of 18 or 19. Katrina had just completed her first year at the Air Force Academy !.

I walked over and gave her a huge hug, an yes there was a tear in my eye.

Point being, Jake, do what ever it takes to attain your dreams and goals.
Stay positive, and full of energy and just flat do it .

Never can tell when someday you will be sailing into marina, tie up, and start visiting with a stranger, and that stranger just might be one of the posters on this forum.

What you've said here is breathe taking, truly. I did tour the Coast Guard Academy in the Fall with a cadet for the day and absolutely loved it. I was worried that I didn't have the grades or credentials to get in and it discouraged me. After reading all these responses about being able to achieve anything, something in my mind has clicked about the coast guard being one of the best options for me and what my goals are. A common trend in the responses it to avoid debt, and the coast guard allows me to get educated for a commitment to service. I know now that I will do everything to apply and even if I don't get the opportunity to get in, that's all part of life's plan. I'm very lucky to have people like this on the forum and it proves to me that random people are really looking out for you and are willing to give advice when needed.

When I posted this yesterday, I couldn't get my mind off what to do when I need to start thinking of the next step in education. I had no clue at the amount of support I would get. I was expecting to maybe 3 replies. This community is a genuinely special.
Jake Mundok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 19:28   #48
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The trick is to find something to do that...
  • You like,
  • Has some actual value that you will be compensated for, and
  • Spend much less than that.
It's way easier, in the long run, to find a career you like than to spread money thin doing under compensated work.
Old 20-02-2019, 19:35   #49

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

You have a lot of advice from older folks, generally giving career advice. Folks who don't remember that teenagers cannot conceive of what it is like to be in your 50's. "Do what I did and you can retire and sail." This is why lots of threads suggest a 45 foot boat or condomaran with all the gadgets seems necessary.

Become a better sailor. Sail your little Catalina every chance you get. Volunteer to race as crew on bigger boats at local races.

Hardest part is figuring out your priorities and desires, then having the courage to pursue them, even if it is against conventional wisdom- get an education (or trade) so you can get a good job. If your real desire is to go sailing and live aboard a boat and see the world- go do that. It will require sacrifices. Life gets more complex and it gets harder to disentangle to pursue your dreams later. You are young and presumably tough and more tolerant of discomfort now. Get a small boat and go cruising. 25 to 28 feet works. I met a couple cruising in the Bahamas on a Columbia 22. Saw them in Maine the next summer. They sailed the whole way.
Quick craigslist search near you.
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/b...824237013.html
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...823065232.html
https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...823365711.html
I grew up with the same desires and dreams as you. I was in Indiana and would have given my left nut to be closer to saltwater where the possibilities are greater, You are a stone's throw from the Chesapeake. Great cruising grounds, go down the ICW to Florida. You can do crappy jobs along the way for money to live on. Take 6 months or a year off before starting college. It does not seem like it and there are obstacles, but you are more free now than you ever will be. It is hard to imagine if you do not have much, but Money (and the need to make more) is not freeing, but enslaving.
I went to college so I could get a good job, make some money, get a boat and go sailing. Had some debt at the end of college so I went to professional school to get a better career. Followed by more training. Didn't finish all my school until I was almost 35, by which time I was married. Then a job with heavy responsibilities. Had to move heaven and earth to disentangle myself and cut back to part time for 2 years to sail a bit. Then back to the grind. Now I'm 58, cannot believe I've gotten this old and hope I can retire in a couple of years and go have more adventures.

Read a book- "Voyaging on a Small Income" by Annie Hill. Probably available in your local library or via inter library loan. A couple that went long term cruising on only a few thousand dollars a year.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 22:12   #50
Marine Service Provider

go to a garage and learn engine repair and maintenance NOW! Most boats have engines. SKIP college BUT take classes on how to write. When you start your, ANY, adventure take notes and weite stories and be a novelist and SKIP college. Do you know who JK Rowlings is or what college she went to? She didnt go to college as far as I know. SKIP college after two ueard and bring told "thats not how its done" or some other negative comment I had enough. Take your college money buy a fixerupper and learn as you go.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 22:16   #51

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
go to a garage and learn engine repair and maintenance NOW! Most boats have engines. SKIP college BUT take classes on how to write. When you start your, ANY, adventure take notes and weite stories and be a novelist and SKIP college. Do you know who JK Rowlings is or what college she went to? She didnt go to college as far as I know. SKIP college after two ueard and bring told "thats not how its done" or some other negative comment I had enough. Take your college money buy a fixerupper and learn as you go.
My word, what quaint advice.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 22:19   #52

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Here is something I would try to get into if I was a young bunny again, not easy to do, very lucrative and interesting. Basically a ship is met by a boat carrying a marine pilot who's job is to direct the ship into safe harbour. Basically all ships entering coastal British Columbia waters once they reach a certain point are commanded by a ship's pilot.

Its not easy to get into and in BC one way is to enter the tug environment and work your way up, here is a link to maritime pilot institute. Its a long haul getting there but well worth it. You won't be sailing, but you can do that on your down time.

Maritime Pilots Institute · Louisiana’s premiere maritime training program
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 00:43   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Go to college. keep the Catalina 14.2. Sail in your free time in the summer. Go to college before planning how you think you're going to spend your time there.

Go to college by all means, and go to the best one you can get into. Be careful about debt, but NOT going to college is not worth, not having debts -- this is proven by statistics.

It is a brutal fact in our knowledge-based, brutally capitalistic society, that those with education and knowledge skills have quite a lot of opportunity, but those without, do not. It is possible, but not easy, to participate in the better opportunities our society offers, without a university education, which is a kind of membership card to the knowledge society. For decades, a good unspecialized undergraduate degree has no longer been a guaranty of a good job right after you finish, but make no mistake -- NOT having the degree is almost a guaranty of not getting far as your career progresses.

Balancing work with life is a whole nother conversation -- another challenge is not to fritter your life away in an office and never live. But you have a far better chance, of having choices which will let you soar above the rat race, if you start out with the advantages of having an education.

An increasingly good way to achieve that is through entrepreneurship, not necessarily in technology. Entrepreneurs work on the average probably twice as hard as people with jobs, and take far greater risks, but with a little success, can soon control their own schedules and live the way they want. A very good education and maximum contact with the smartest people is the best possible basis, for a career as an entrepreneur.

Sailing is a wonderful hobby which you can enjoy your whole life. When I was in college, I had a 16' Chrysler Man-O-War day sailer on a trailer, which I sailed every weekend. Among other joys, sailboats are total babe magnets, when you're that age, at least. But I agree with other comments -- concentrate on getting in, and going, and doing well in college, and think about sailing second.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 00:52   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
. . . Do you know who JK Rowlings is or what college she went to? She didnt go to college as far as I know. . .

J.K. Rowling completed a degree in Classics and French at the University of Exeter in 1986, knows Latin, and taught French to pay her rent before her writing career took off.

There are very rare cases of people without university education reaching the top levels of business or culture, but they are rarer, than peasants in medieval Europe, who became aristocrats. Is there even one person on the Forbes List, who didn't at least go to university? I haven't checked, but I would guess not even one.

It doesn't mean, you can't have a good life, without a degree, but it was also not impossible for peasants in medieval Europe to have "good lives". The difference between our society, and medieval Europe, is that what kind of family you are born into doesn't really make any difference, EXCEPT to the extent that it prevents you from going to college.

There's an old joke about when does life begin -- at conception, or birth? Jewish mother: neither -- it's when he gets his degree. Very actually wise remark on our society.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 21-02-2019, 04:13   #55

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mundok View Post
What you've said here is breathe taking, truly. I did tour the Coast Guard Academy in the Fall with a cadet for the day and absolutely loved it. I was worried that I didn't have the grades or credentials to get in and it discouraged me. After reading all these responses about being able to achieve anything, something in my mind has clicked about the coast guard being one of the best options for me and what my goals are. A common trend in the responses it to avoid debt, and the coast guard allows me to get educated for a commitment to service. I know now that I will do everything to apply and even if I don't get the opportunity to get in, that's all part of life's plan. I'm very lucky to have people like this on the forum and it proves to me that random people are really looking out for you and are willing to give advice when needed.

When I posted this yesterday, I couldn't get my mind off what to do when I need to start thinking of the next step in education. I had no clue at the amount of support I would get. I was expecting to maybe 3 replies. This community is a genuinely special.
Before going the academy/officer route, you need to know what type person you are or will become.

Most officers are usually in charge of lots of people and deal with them and their problems unless you go into a specialized field

You may want to check out what job you'd be doing as an officer vs enlisted. Either way can get you through college. (I used the GI Bill for my degree, Liberal Arts, and use both that knowledge and my tech skills learned in the military on the job)

It's the same with college, what job are you hoping to get with your degree?

We have lots of small boats (Coast Guard and Navy) coming and going out of Little Creek. They escort the larger ships and subs out of Naval Station Norfolk. (as do the Cutters)

The guys in both services that are the happiest are the ones that get to come back ashore on Friday after being out on the boats all day, week, or month. (months if you are in a navy battle / carrier group and possibly big boat Coast Guard.)

I hear those stories all the time and wonder how those guys (and gals now) did it. I was in the Marines (Tech) so no carriers or boats for me. (except during deployments)
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 04:45   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Before going the academy/officer route, you need to know what type person you are or will become.

Most officers are usually in charge of lots of people and deal with them and their problems unless you go into a specialized field

You may want to check out what job you'd be doing as an officer vs enlisted. Either way can get you through college. (I used the GI Bill for my degree, Liberal Arts, and use both that knowledge and my tech skills learned in the military on the job)

It's the same with college, what job are you hoping to get with your degree?

We have lots of small boats (Coast Guard and Navy) coming and going out of Little Creek. They escort the larger ships and subs out of Naval Station Norfolk. (as do the Cutters)

The guys in both services that are the happiest are the ones that get to come back ashore on Friday after being out on the boats all day, week, or month. (months if you are in a navy battle / carrier group and possibly big boat Coast Guard.)

I hear those stories all the time and wonder how those guys (and gals now) did it. I was in the Marines (Tech) so no carriers or boats for me. (except during deployments)

This is generally very good advice, but this:

"It's the same with college, what job are you hoping to get with your degree?"

Needs a footnote -- not necessarily. College is a ticket into the world of educated people. That is a world with vastly increased opportunities, even if your degree is irrelevant to your eventual work (my first degree was in Philosophy and German Language). It is wrong to view college as only a kind of vocational school which gives you a ticket to a particular job -- it's not necessarily that (and usually not). But you have to be careful not to assume that you will automatically get a job afterwards. That might require another degree, or some kind of internship.

But I see there is a lot of discussion about the military -- also a good path, especially if one takes advantage of the training and educational opportunities the military gives. That's a totally different life, but a great one for those who are suited to it and pick the right job and path.
Walt Whitman
Old 21-02-2019, 05:41   #57

I agree with Dockhead's commentary on college.

Do it, and go the best school you can get into. It will change your life, and for the better. Do have a plan on how you're going to pay for it, but don't let that stop you from applying to anywhere you want to go. Apply, get accepted, and THEN figure out the details of how you're going to pay for it. There are lots of scholarships out there. It's not JUST for a job, it's to be a better informed human being. It's a framework on which to hang the information you collect as you move along through life.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 05:48   #58

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
This is generally very good advice, but this:

"It's the same with college, what job are you hoping to get with your degree?"

Needs a footnote -- not necessarily. College is a ticket into the world of educated people. That is a world with vastly increased opportunities, even if your degree is irrelevant to your eventual work (my first degree was in Philosophy and German Language). It is wrong to view college as only a kind of vocational school which gives you a ticket to a particular job -- it's not necessarily that (and usually not). But you have to be careful not to assume that you will automatically get a job afterwards. That might require another degree, or some kind of internship.

But I see there is a lot of discussion about the military -- also a good path, especially if one takes advantage of the training and educational opportunities the military gives. That's a totally different life, but a great one for those who are suited to it and pick the right job and path.
Sometimes though a ticket into the world of educated people doesn't necessarily put food on your table or help to pay off student loans as you somewhat touched on. (my degree was a BA In History (GI Bill) which I somewhat use but mainly it's the tech training)

The degree, especially one in the liberal arts, allows you to "see" things better I believe. You can better understand the engineer counting his trees individually or the artist not seeing the single trees or what type they are but the overall effect

As far the military, that's a tough one. You have to give up lots of your freedoms when you join.

Another thing to be aware of as a young person listening to older folks describe their good ole/glory days is that they may be leaving out the worst parts
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 05:57   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sometimes though a ticket into the world of educated people doesn't necessarily put food on your table or help to pay off student loans as you somewhat touched on. (my degree was a BA In History (GI Bill) which I somewhat use but mainly it's the tech training)

Yes, I think I was saying that very thing. A non-vocational non-professional education may very well not put food on the table directly -- and be careful with the debts -- but NOT having an education will close off a huge percentage of the interesting things in life to do, and in general, will put you into a different social class, which has less upward mobility, shocking as that sounds, than the peasantry of medieval Europe.

Quote:
The degree, especially one in the liberal arts, allows you to "see" things better I believe. You can better understand the engineer counting his trees individually or the artist not seeing the single trees or what type they are but the overall effect...

Agree completely with this.

I was speaking only to the career and opportunity and perhaps social aspects of having an education, but on top of that, a good liberal education sticks with you your whole life and really completely changes the way you look at the world, and for the better. A good liberal education is the foundation for becoming a life long learner, one of the most rewarding things in life.
Walt Whitman
Old 21-02-2019, 06:21   #60

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Go to college. keep the Catalina 14.2. Sail in your free time in the summer. Go to college before planning how you think you're going to spend your time there.

Actually, you may wish to finish high school and, if you have the means, to sail for a "gap year" before college. You'll then have real-life experience to suggest whether a) you've made the right choices for college or b) you want to sail for a couple more years to attend college at age 21 or so as a "mature student", which I understand is significantly cheaper in terms of tuition.

Point being, no one will care in the job market if you show up with a degree at 22 or 25, but you will never be 18 again and the experiences, skills and maturity you gain voyaging at a young and vigorous age will serve you a lifetime.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote