Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 06:25   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
What Documents do I need?

I have one question that troubles me.
As Europian citizen can i buy the boat in Mexico and get the American flag. I have asked around and i have got answers like i can not because i am not American citizen. Is it true? And where can i get a list what documents are needed to register boat in America (or Mexico) and what other requirements do i have to fulfil?
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 06:34   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: What documents do i need ...

A reputable boat broker would know the requirements. I understand you don't want to go around taking a poll; you want someone who really knows what they are talking about.

I would spend some time with a broker who has been in business long enough to have built a reputation for honesty. Some are better than others.

Cheers!
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 06:42   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

find a document service such as dona jenkins. ask her company . they are intelligent and helpful documentation service in san diego. they are also online.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 06:57   #4

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

You can 'get' USA flagged if the boat is owned by a USA registered company, for example formed in Delaware USA.
I am told you do not have to be a US citizen to form [and own] such a company but get legal advice on this. [Google Delaware companies]
As Steve says an experienced broker should also know of this method.
As far as USCG required documents go, I have read only the bill of sale, builders certificate and proof of ownership documents are required. Check the USCG website for details, it appears shut down, try BoatUS for required details.
https://www.boatus.com/documentation/doc_app.asp
The above opinions are not intended to be taken as fact, just some help in pointing you in the right direction.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 19-11-2013, 07:08   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

PR2501,

I think you may need a maritime lawyer for this one. It's fairly complicated. A long time ago, we knew some Portuguese nationality people from Mozambique, with at-the-time residency in South Africa, who bought a steel sailboat in Sri Lanka, and flew the Sri Lankan flag. This was long enough ago that the SA flag would have been unwelcome almost everywhere.

Where we are now, with long term residency but not citizenship in Australia, we cannot fly the Australian flag because only Australian citizens can have a ship of Australian registry; hence, even though the vessel was made in Australia, she flies the flag of our nation, the USA.

So, you're part of the EU (and we've seen EU flags on boats), but you want to buy an American boat in Mexico and fly the American flag. Whatever for? Incidentally, Europeans all handle the issue differently with regard to vessel flag: for instance, the Bretons fly the flag of Bretagne, sometimes, rather than that of France or the EU. I don't understand all that I see of this either, but I do think you need to find out which nation governs what flag you have on your boat, and then do it, or it'll be a Customs hassle at each foreign port you enter. There's also the question of importing your from-Mexico boat into whatever country you live in.

Ann
Old 20-11-2013, 01:33   #6

Boat: Corbin 39

I would like to spent couple (or more) of years on Pacific.
And then to sell the boat in Australia, NL, America or Mexico.
So i need the documents that will allow all this to happen.

And...

It is that i don't know anything about it.
But i have got contact at Pacific maritime title.
The first contact has been promising. And i will also analyze in detail
all other possibilities which i have got here in Yours answers.
I think soon will be clear how should i proceed.

Thank You
(i hope to see you on the sea)
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 03:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pr2501.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 04:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi PR2501,

I was a yacht broker in FL for several years and have researched this subject a bit. There are several issuers.

1. In the USA there are 2 ways to "register" a boat.

- The best way and the one you are probably referring to is registration with the US national government which is correctly called "documentation" and is handled with the US Coast Guard.

- The second way is "state registration" IE to register with just a state government like Florida or California. This method and the paperwork you will have may not be acceptable for submitting to customs officers in international travel so should not be considered.

2. USCG documentation is not allowed for non-USA citizens.

3. You can get USCG documentation for a boat owned by a US corporation however there is some dispute as to whether a US corporation that is owned by a non-USA citizen will be allowed. I think it is done but in this area I would recommend you contact a lawyer that specializes in this area.

At the end of the day, getting proper boat documentation/registration in the US for a non citizen will involve some extra costs and paperwork. I think it would be much easier to register the boat in your home country. If you are concerned about VAT I have seen posts from EU boat owners that suggests VAT would not be paid if the boat does not enter Europe.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 04:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What documents do i need ...

Flying the Stars and Stripes is going to be of no advantage what so ever... if anything it will complicate your life needlessly not only in your travels but when it comes time to sell...
Go EU State flagged if that's what your nationality is... we are received with open arms more readily and in more places than the US boats... not because they are anti American sailor... more because of their countries unfortunate foreign policy's...
But its your life... walk your own road..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 05:37   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

3. You can get USCG documentation for a boat owned by a US corporation however there is some dispute as to whether a US corporation that is owned by a non-USA citizen will be allowed. I think it is done but in this area I would recommend you contact a lawyer that specializes in this area.

At the end of the day, getting proper boat documentation/registration in the US for a non citizen will involve some extra costs and paperwork. I think it would be much easier to register the boat in your home country. If you are concerned about VAT I have seen posts from EU boat owners that suggests VAT would not be paid if the boat does not enter Europe.
Under Delaware law this can be done. Loads of boats here in Guatemala which are ultimately Guatemalan owned use this loop hole to avoid import taxes.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 06:58   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: What Documents do I need?

It is almost impossible to register a boat under a Mexican flag without the owner being a Mexican National. Some people do this by having their Mexican National Spouse be the soul owner.

I understand you are trying top avoid European Taxes, which are outrageous.

You might want to consider Panamanian or BVI Documentation instead of USA.

The reason is that it will probably cost less and the other is to avoid the political crap that goes with flying an American Flag.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 07:20   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Documents do I need?

It appears he has no intention of taking it to the EU so no taxes will apply.. and any EU citizen can register in Belgium with no hassles whatever.. or so I believe...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 07:28   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Under Delaware law this can be done. Loads of boats here in Guatemala which are ultimately Guatemalan owned use this loop hole to avoid import taxes.
The issue isn't setting up a US corporation by a non-US citizen. Delaware can do this as you mention but plenty of other states will do it as well.

The issue is whether the USCG will allow a foreign owned corporation to own and document a vessel. Since vessels that are directly foreign owned cannot be documented then the question is this. If a vessel is owned by a US corporation is that vessel still considered a foreign owned vessel if the corporation is foreign owned.
Old 20-11-2013, 07:44   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
political crap that goes with flying an American Flag.
Political crap. In the US? I'm sure we don't know what you refer to.
Old 20-11-2013, 07:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
I have one question that troubles me.
As Europian citizen can i buy the boat in Mexico and get the American flag. I have asked around and i have got answers like i can not because i am not American citizen. Is it true? And where can i get a list what documents are needed to register boat in America (or Mexico) and what other requirements do i have to fulfil?
No. They were right. Yes it is true.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men