Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 18:45   #46

Boat: Hartley Tasman 27'3" Kaea (50/50 motor sailor) & Laurent Giles GK24 IOR 1/4 tonner
Regarding Tankers and other Ships

There are plenty of ship spotters around the world, who take the same level of interest in photographing and knowing ALL of the details of any ship that enters their part of the world, as train spotters do with trains.

If you doubt it, just google the name of any ship you see and see how many photo's you see. The quality that doesn't make it onto the net is often of a high professional level. Shipping companies often get historical photographs from ship spotters because they are so reliable.
stuartcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:53   #47

Boat: Riviera 35
The USP of the OP's idea was aerial shots. Not everyone can get them.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 17:16   #48

I would go the the sailing events and ask if they would like your services

The word would travel and you be know for your work.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 08:04   #49

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartcnz View Post
There are plenty of ship spotters around the world, who take the same level of interest in photographing and knowing ALL of the details of any ship that enters their part of the world, as train spotters do with trains.

If you doubt it, just google the name of any ship you see and see how many photo's you see. The quality that doesn't make it onto the net is often of a high professional level. Shipping companies often get historical photographs from ship spotters because they are so reliable.
That's only one part of the story however. This is very similar to selling stock photography. The other side of stock is that most photos sell for very little money. For everyone that does sell, even a talented photographer has hundreds that have not sold. Also, there is no guarantee, they will buy your photo. They may buy someone elses. Copyright violation (just steeling the images) is also all too common and is especially easy when you are not just dealing with your own home company. Copyright infringement, even under the best of circumstances is very difficult and expensive to prosecute.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 21:07   #50

Boat: Pearson 323
Aerial Shots vs. Action Shots

As working professional photojournalist with many years of experience, I have watched the market go down hill since the introduction of digital. Matter of fact most people who call themselves semi-pros are amazed that I still shoot most of my images in manual mode. I guess they think the "P" on their cameras is for professional.

The idea might work to make some money in some instances like real-estate sales, etc. But a high angle aerial shot of my boat would not interest me. But, if you have already invested in the equipment give it a shot. What have you to lose? I would try to think up shooting something with more action and the crew sailing their boat. I think those types of photographs would have better salability.

Also, I guess if head to the islands, I best hide my camouflage army airborne ranger cap.

Ray
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 10:41   #51

Boat: Catalina 25
You got something there! Go For It!
JackHinks is offline   Reply With Quote